Scott Livingston's Render Thread

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Your Arya is really good. The one thing I might consider bringing in more from Maisie Williams is how shallow set (is that the opposite of deep set? The only other term I could think of was bug eyed, which isn't exactly polite) her eyes are. I think its a big part of the reason she can switch from looking feminine/pretty to masculine/homely so easily; just light her from above and she looks like she hasn't slept in months and is very angry about it.

I really like your Cersei so far. Middle aged is hard to pull off in 3d. Whatever you did with the lips, I really like it; they're very defined.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I don't know Arya's character but I really like the character. The skin imperfections are so realistic and your lighting is beautiful. I like the queen character too- her mouth is firm and she is definitely in control!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Not done with the GoT project, but despite that...

Finally I'm getting back to creating and rendering my own characters (characters from my own fictional world). Here's a first stab at a new version of an old favorite. Custom character, but heavily based on Raiya's beautiful Elene HD.

Elivia is looking gorgeous, Scott.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited October 2014

Thanks everyone! More updates soon... I've been working on some pinup-type renders, primarily for practice with lighting and realistic skin settings. Also playing with GenX2, working on another render featuring Forgotten Temple Ruins, and still working on Cersei and Elivia as well.

Oh...I did finish up Arya...here she is in my gallery. I put her in an actual setting with different lighting. If I decide to revisit the character, I may experiment with the eye depth as Kamion99 suggested...seems like a good idea.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Updated Cersei...still working on her though.

cersei2a.jpg
    1159 x 1500 - 948K
    edited December 1969

Oh...I did finish up Arya...here she is in my gallery. I put her in an actual setting with different lighting. If I decide to revisit the character, I may experiment with the eye depth as Kamion99 suggested...seems like a good idea.

I like that Arya isn't a botox gal, and her mouth is relatively small. Not everyone has a perfect mouth or large one, so it was very refreshing to see the camera angle show a difference in nose size and the mouth. Very nice Scott-L!

edited December 1969

Here's my final unpostworked render of Cersei. I have added a postworked version (looks better, I think) to my Women of Westeros gallery.

cersei2c.jpg
    1159 x 1500 - 926K
    edited December 1969

I posted over in your gallery. :) She is full of confidence- fitting that she is a queen!

edited December 1969

Thanks for commenting, Cathie. :)

Here's a new one...still very much a WIP. Struggling with this character since I'm trying to recreate one of my book characters...someone who's lived inside my head for years and years. (Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with my sanity, I've had many characters living inside my head...wait, that sounds even worse...)

At any rate, feedback appreciated. She's supposed to be about 16...do you think she looks older? Anything I can do to make her facial features look more realistic?

mirian-g2f1a.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 667K
    edited December 1969

Hmm, that eye on OUR right may look a little better if the iris/pupil were moved to OUR right. I often have to tweak when I have those head turns with the eyes really straining to the opposite direction. Hope I'm making sense here.

edited December 1969

Here's an earlier version of the character. Maybe too young-looking? Maybe less realistic features, too...but somehow slightly closer to how I envision the character. This is an even less polished render, just for comparison purposes.

mirian-genesis1a.jpg
    927 x 1310 - 629K
    edited December 1969

I think that could look 16. She's very lovely, I like the character.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Novica!

I had kind of a "eureka" moment that might explain some of the differences between these characters...will test it out and post renders later. The new version is not a transfer from Genesis to G2F, but rather I tried to re-create her using similar morphs. Only, maybe some of them aren't as similar as their names imply.

edited December 1969

Did find some slight differences in morphs from G1 to G2 but not to the extent I was expecting. Instead the main "culprit" appears to be Gia...even at 0.2 strength she was affecting the face shape that much, so I dialed down the head while keeping the body. Added a touch of Josie, too, and made numerous other tweaks including zeroing out the facial expression. Mostly happy with this, except for the nose bridge area.

Testing out PixiePerfect hair, too.

mirian-g2f1b.jpg
    927 x 1310 - 755K
    edited December 1969

Okay, DAZ has released Belle, whose default face is a closer match for Mirian than probably any other DAZ character (at the moment she's based on a Frankenstein mix of S4, S5, S6, V5, Josie, Growing Up, M3D Sugar and Spice morphs, Gia, and a few other things plus a large number of partial body morphs*). I think she's just about done, or at least I'll hold off on this project until I'm able to snag Belle.

Anyway, here's a full-body comparison between Mirian 5 and Mirian 6, in her current form at least. For the skin, I used my own Skin Builder recipe.

*Muscularity morphs ported over with GenX2 were particularly important; she's supposed to be an archer and I want her to have powerful arms, without making her look too much like a bodybuilder.

mirian-geng2f-1b.jpg
    795 x 1310 - 444K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2014

Very nice, and good match-up. I agree with the arms bit, and it is difficult for all kinds of trades similar as well. So many subtleties between bulk muscle, and I've been working on this "Tone" for a while, lol. Get it wrong, and it just, well we know.

Spent the entire night doing test renders to match up bump map tilings, long and drawn out work. I have much more to do, chat later Scott. :coolsmile:

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate the comments!

I've been lurking in your thread for a while; I should probably say something... :)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited December 1969

I'm just catching up on everyones threads , your renders look great Scott, have you ever worked with HRD light sets
    I have started trying them out with paired with Uber-Environments speres , with some pretty good results. I look forward to see what you have coming next : :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Happy Birthday Scott!!!! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Thank you, Ivy and Kismet2012!

edited December 1969

I've been saving this one, as I'd submitted it to DS Creative magazine and wanted to make sure that (if they decided to print it) they'd get the chance to publish it first. I was excited to see it appear on page 2 of the December edition (if you haven't seen DS Creative, you can find the links here). DS render with postwork in GIMP and FotoSketcher.

corvidae1a-pw3.jpg
    1214 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 2014

New image up in my gallery...not the one that appears below; I'm trying to keep things interesting by uploading different images to different places (at least sometimes).

My son is a fan of Lego Ninjago, and the image below is an attempt to create one of the serpentine characters from that franchise, a nasty fellow by the name of Pythor. Got the face pretty much done; the other parts of the body aren't right, which is why I've cut them out of the frame. :lol:

Used Genesis with Creature Creator, HFS Shapes, and Raw Oagre textures. Set is Aslan Court 1: Fallen.

pythor1b-pw1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 481K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I've been saving this one, as I'd submitted it to DS Creative magazine and wanted to make sure that (if they decided to print it) they'd get the chance to publish it first. I was excited to see it appear on page 2 of the December edition (if you haven't seen DS Creative, you can find the links here). DS render with postwork in GIMP and FotoSketcher.

I like this one very much. It has a very classy look to it, and it's pretty realistic as well.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

New image up in my gallery...not the one that appears below; I'm trying to keep things interesting by uploading different images to different places (at least sometimes).

My son is a fan of Lego Ninjago, and the image below is an attempt to create one of the serpentine characters from that franchise, a nasty fellow by the name of Pythor. Got the face pretty much done; the other parts of the body aren't right, which is why I've cut them out of the frame. :lol:

Used Genesis with Creature Creator, HFS Shapes, and Raw Oagre textures. Set is Aslan Court 1: Fallen.

oh that came out well Scott.
    edited December 1969

Thank you, TobiasG and Szark!

edited December 1969

This thread's been silent recently because I've got a couple of "big" projects in the works and I don't feel like showing any renders of them until they are finished. But this is something I put together while taking a break from those...

I bought the Lilith 6 Pro Bundle recently since it was available for a really good price. Lilith's body shape is not the type that I usually prefer to render...most of my female characters are either less voluptuous or bigger around the middle. But I find she works really well in smaller doses. The character here uses the Letizia skin and Lilith's morph dialed to 50%.

The dress is Francesca...with a few modifications...

lilith2a.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 770K
    edited December 1969

This is Bromodan, one of the characters from my book(s) and fantasy world. Born a commoner, he won great renown in battle at a young age, saving the king's army twice: first by leading a retreat when annihilation seemed inevitable, and then setting an ambush that trapped the pursuing enemy. After the war he was knighted, becoming only the third peasant-born knight in recent memory.

Famed as much for his physical beauty as for his feats in battle, Bromodan has become something of a celebrity, or as close as one can get in a pre-mass-media society. Truth be told, his reputation both as a tactical genius and as a womanizer is often somewhat exaggerated, and while he generally enjoys the attention, sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth.

Bromodan has, inevitably, developed an inflated sense of his own importance and self-worth. If he's arrogant, he hides it well, taking care to be respectful to others, partially out of concern for his own reputation. Idolized by the lower classes and by many knights of his own generation, he very much desires the respect of older nobles, who nevertheless tend to view him with scorn.

bromodan1e.jpg
    1200 x 1697 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Bromodan requested that I post this alternate version as well (as I said, humility isn't his strong suit).

bromodan1f.jpg
    1200 x 1697 - 941K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

To be fair to Bromodan the brown shirt did blend in with the brown background. ;-)

He stands out much better in the 2nd image. :coolgrin:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,208
    edited December 1969

He looks great and just as you described him. Nice morph and nice skin. The only thing bothering me a little is the position of his eyes. The eye on the left (his right eye) seems to be looking at me, but his other eye seems to be looking to the left out of the scene a bit.