Scenes taking excessively long to load (Daz 4.92)

Specs:

Win 10 pro       i7 490k (quad core 4.0GHz), 16 GB ram, Geforce gtx960 (2Gb)

-------

With the upgrade to 4.92 scenes I have that used to take a min or two tops are now taking five or more minutes, if at all. Even simple scenes with 4 or 5 objects load way longer then they should. Daz seems to have a bit of a memory leak or something when I bring up task manager, Mem usage keeps climbing while attempting to load the scenes. It reached as high as 45% usage before I ended process (never loaded). It reads the file fine but seems to hang up at deleting scene, even on a fresh boot. Drivers on the system are up to date, uninstalled reinstaalled a few times, no luck. Any suggestions on speeding up load times?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888
    edited June 2016

If you launch DS alone is it OK? What is the preview mode - try hitting ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac)-9 to make sure it is the basic Texture Sahded and then try loading a scene.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ryu007jpryu007jp Posts: 12

Studio itself loads fine, not sure if ctrl win key is doing anything, how do you check what the texture shading is set at?

• for Windows, ctrl plus the 9 key, for Mac, cmd plus the 9 key (my close parenthesis was miskeyed which confused my last post). You can see (and select) the preview mode by clicking the sphere icon to the left of the camera/view drop-down menu at top-right of the viewport.

edited June 2016

Ah good to know, yes it is set for textured shaded. No scene: mem usage is at 234.1mb, 1 character scene Genesis 2 female (custom body shape Silver Raizel's Elaine texture set) 12 other models (hair, clothinng, accessories & also using measure metrics) mem usage jumps to 2,850.1mb, stays there after loading. cpu usage stable at 12% when loading drops to .1% when loaded.

Post edited by ryu007jp on
  • If the clothing (or hair) use a smoothing modifier that can tie the processor up for a while - you can turn the smoothing off through the Parameters pane, under Mesh Smoothing, for each item and then turn it back on at render time.

Did a couple of tests for load times with various things removed from specific scenes and load times still are running long, some other scenes loaded more quickly. Is it possible for scenes to get corrupted which would effect load times, and if so can they be repaired? Also on a side note exiting out and rebooting studio can sometimes result in two applications running, not a result of too many clicks on the DAZ icon.

Hrrrm issue for me seems to be the deleting objects process of loading a scene, even selecting new scene from an existing scene took a while as well, just tried reseting DB no improvement.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited June 2016

I've started having this issue again. Saved scene files take 5-6  minutes to load. Studio becomes stuck on a message that it is "Reading Asset Clearing Scene, Deleting objects" 

I have tried resetting the database and reimporting my files, but it still hangs on tha message taking infernally long to load and to add to it, it says DAZ studio not responding for a while, before finally loading. This is a single  character, not anything complex.

Very frustrating. 

I noticed slowness increased right after installing the new Gen X. Prior to that, everything was normal. Now this... It is possible just coincidence... But something has happened to studio again, making it very slow to use.

Capture.JPG
    380 x 359 - 20K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • hilguhilgu Posts: 37

I've started having this issue again. Saved scene files take 5-6  minutes to load. Studio becomes stuck on a message that it is "Reading Asset Clearing Scene, Deleting objects" 

Very frustrating. 

Same issue here.  I was working on a scene or two yesterday, things seemed perfectly fine, but I noticed that that DAZ was taking forever to clear out of memory, when I exit DAZ --- 30 minutes perhaps, may be more.  It had done that in the past, but it is annoying, as it prevents you from starting to work on a new scene.  So ... I decided to kill the process.  But since then, I have this issue, that now DAZ hangs on loading a scene which I worked on just yesterday (and which I killed?  May be...).  It is forever stuck on "Reading asset ... Clearing the Scene ... Deleting the objects ...", then nothing, zero, nada.  The scrolling bar is just stuck.  I remember having had that happen in the past too, with previous releases.  It then seemed to help to reboot the machine, perhaps twice, and restart it all again.  I tried that too this time, to no avail.  I could try all kinds of time-consuming suggestions, of course, but I would love to do the one thing that helps, rather than spending hours on running off in different directions.  A really good hint would be much appreciated!!

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

Has this issue been fixed?  I would love to hear a solution if it's out there.  Trying to merge 2 figures into a scene, and it's taking 20 minutes.  This used to be a fast program!

• SwanSwan Posts: 134

I'm having the same fricking problem. Deleteing objects. Even when there are no objects to delete. Doesn't happen on every scene. But still, REALLY frustrating.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

hilgu said:

A really good hint would be much appreciated!!

Do you have reality installed? If so, it could be the issue with the scene loading and slowness.

Check if you can see the hidden nodes issue.

1. Go to the parameters tab.

2. Click on display options for the active panel. (The triple line iceon). 

3. Select Show hidden nodes.

4. Do you have reality nodes taking up space in your scene files? If so, this could be the problem. When my machine slows down, this is usually the issue.

5. Uninstall the plugin, and then you can save your scenes as a Save as Scene Subset to get rid of the nodes.