Supercell Tutorial

Hansmar asked if I would show him how I created the supercell for an image I entered into the current Challenge.

The first image shows the wire frame set up from different angles. All thats involved in the storm structure are 3 spheresand 2 Tori.

The two spheres that form the base of the storm perform a boolean operation.

storm 1.jpg
1000 x 1630 - 618K

Comments

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120

edited June 2016

Next I set the FOV on the camera to 60%. Most storm chasers will have a wide angled lense when taking photos because the storms are so massive.

I use Bryce 5, I know a lot will be on 7, so I 'm not sure the exact location of the material I used for the clouds, but it is in there somewhere. There will be a few texture issues because of the way volumetrics interact caused by objects touching, but this can be rectified in post with the clone tool.

storm 2.jpg
    1000 x 1469 - 410K
    storm 4.jpg
    698 x 491 - 123K
    Post edited by orbital on
    edited June 2016

Here is the recipe for the sky. You can change it to what ever you like, but I prefer a low sun positioned to the side as it helps light the clouds have good definition.

storm3.jpg
    723 x 1562 - 278K
    Post edited by orbital on

Another good tip for lighting is explained in this tutorial I did a while back

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/?tutorial_id=2281

You may need to reduce the brightness of the spotlight as it can sometimes lead to over exposure of the cloud material.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

Thank Orbital for this tutorial. That I needed before my Tornado attempt. * Lol *

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,761

Many thanks, Orbital. I'll give it a try, but after the contest.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,016

Thanks Orbital for the tutorial smiley

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,143
    edited June 2016

Thank you orbital. Luckily, I still have Bryce 5 installed. I think due to the volume bug in Bryce 7, it would not work.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489

Thanks for sharing, orbital!  I don't have Bryce 5, but will experiment with 7 and see if there are any workarounds that I can come with.