Sura's shipyard WIP (Spaceships & Space stations)

sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174
edited June 2016 in Art Studio

*Note, they were made in Blender and rendered in Blender. I will update this thread as I make more spaceships.

I started out with Daz3D but had to move to Blender in order to make my own spaceship designs. I explored my options at Daz3D as well as Turbosquid and came to a conclusion that I had no choice but to design my own.

So far, I've made 7 spaceship designs. Below is my latest creation.

Her name is USF Stiletto. It is a frigate class spaceship. Crew capacity is 20. Its length is about 70meters. This model is the first one I've designed internal layout in mind. And I've made its bridge. The bridge is almost complete as well as the ship exterior.

In my spaceship designs, I prefer not to have a bridge exposed but a frgate is deemed to small to have a bridge inside. Even if it does have it inside, there isn't much point as crampted layout would mean a brdige isn't quite protected from damage.

Now, a size comparsion between a frigate and a cruiser.

usf_stiletto_90.png
1200 x 675 - 202K
usf_sitiletto_70_bridge.jpg
1200 x 675 - 125K
usf_stiletto_interna2.png
872 x 488 - 9K
usf_stiletto_internal.png
1160 x 532 - 14K
usf_stiletto_size.ng.png
1200 x 675 - 304K
Post edited by sura_tc on

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Hello sura_tc, these look fantastic. Are you designing them for personal use or are you planning on submitting them to Daz for sale?

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174

They are for personal use and I am just an amatuer. I don't think my creations are good enough to be commercial. Besides, I've thought about it a little and decided that there isn't enough demand for me to actually polish it further.

edited April 2016

An update.

Backside of the ship, revealing its ion engine (turned off) as well as entrances.

And a view from its bridge.

dockingbay_51_2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    usf_stiletto_bridge_99.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Oh wow, this is all kinds of awesome!! Still think you have a potential seller on your hands!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Really nice ship!

edited April 2016

Here is a new bridge render with a change in how the bridge glass works. Instead of using glass, I decided to take a more sci-fi approach.

The characters are from Daz3D. One of them is Lee 6 and another is Micahel 6. They were posed in Daz studio 4.9 and were exported as OBJ. I imported them into Blender and re-textured them before rendering.

Due to a high amount of reflective light, rendering took a while. Each scene took 90 minutes to 120 minutes and that was with just medium quality render (1600 samples).

Note that the bars on floor is how a crew secure themselves onto a floor because it is zero gravity in there. I took the idea from International Space Station (ISS).

P.S. I haven't finished the backside of the bridge. Once that part is done, I will render from the other side, showing the two characters fully from front.

usf_stiletto_bridge_dark_3_samuel.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    usf_stiletto_bridge_dark_4_samuel.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    usf_stiletto_bridge_dark_6_samuel.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

This is another view of the bridge.

Right now, the only major issue I am having when getting things exported from Daz3D to Blender is hair. I have yet to find a way to make hair fully work in Blender.

bridge_another_view.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

I hope this will be possible one day.

I won't be alive to see this but still I hope this, one day, will be possible...

Watching spaceships from cafeteria...

watching_spaceships.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021

It is possible today, just not available to us at this point in time... There are a million, billion worlds capable of supporting life in this galaxy alone... That scene has probably happened a trillion times over... Though not with humans... Maybe in another life or something. But great models and nice renders, I like your work!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570

Very cool thread and nice renders. Can't wait to see more!

edited May 2016

This was my first model made in Blender. I think the time was around June-July of 2015. I had absolutely zero knowledge in modelling at that time. And, at that time, the only application I used was Daz3D.

From the attachments, the first one was version 1 made in Blender about 10 ~ 11 months ago. The current version is 3. Everything except its basic shape has been remodelled.

Its name is USF Courage (USF stands for United Solar system Federation) and is of a cruiser class. The first spaceship I posted in the thread is a frigate class. The size difference is massive as you can tell from my cafeteria render.

This specific model went through a lot of revisions.

Some additional info. As this is a spaceship, they use thrusters to maneuver. The small blue glowing circle things are such thrusters to move around. They, including the main engine, are all ion based and the models are based from ion thrusters in our current era.

The numbers on ship are armor plate designation numbers. They are used when replacing a specific armor plating. There are 200+ armor plates there.

usf_courage_0.png
    1920 x 1080 - 673K
    usf_courage_1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 910K
    usf_courage_2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 614K
    usf_courage_3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 744K
    usf_courage_4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 858K
    usf_courage_5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 618K
  • nelm2010nelm2010 Posts: 45

Sura_TC -- these are amazing. I bought Carrara the other day with the idea of (way eventually) designing my own ship and I have to agree with KA! above that you could sell these. Reading your posts brought up a question for me, though. You render in Blender. How do you export from Daz to Blender? 

Anyway, these are amazing (and your site and novel are really cool, too--keep it up!)

Thanks

Nicole

I use Daz for human figures because controlling a rigged figure in Blender is really, really, painful and slow.

Daz to Blender (when it comes to human figures), I chose the hard way.

I make two exports. One in .dae format in order to extract textures. And another one in .obj in order to extract posed figure.

*.dae does export rigged figures but they are buggy as hell.

So, I pose characters in Daz and export posed figures into Blender and re-texture them in it. I import blender *.obj into Daz for easier posing if I need it.

One of reasons I am not selling the models is that the turrets are not rigged. Rigging is something I need to learn more about. I can perform basic rigging but the ship's turrets have proven to be trisky. I curently use rotation locks, a function in Blender, to move/rotate them around which isn't rigging and doesn't work in Daz.

Another reason is that none of the models are considered "final" as I keep working on it when new ideas pop up.

Here is another ship I made months ago.

vn_cecilia_view1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 677K
    vn_cecilia_view2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 802K
    vn_cecilia_view3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 788K

Currently working on a very large cargo freight spaceship named "SSS Slate".

About 40% complete.

SSS_Slate_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 247K
    SSS_Slate_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 441K
    edited June 2016

I also have made a few space stations. (2 so far)

While a spaceship takes a week max from designing to modelling, a spacestation takes a ton of time due to its sheer size and details it require.

This one here is Uranus outpost which was my first attempt in creating a unique (aka my own design) space station. I made this about 6 months ago.

This model took, by far, the most time. It took a whole month of modelling. The model is huge and highly detailed. I've yet to make another model that rival this. I could probably improve this if I devote more time into it but ... this model is a mass to deal with and was made when I wasn't better at Blender. It's got no vector groups and meshes aren't properly groupped.

uranus_outpost_indark.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 452K
    Uranus-outpost_1_1080p.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 708K
    Uranus-outpost_2_1080p.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 803K
    Uranus-outpost-for-Two-Clusters-Rev-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    uranus_outpost_inlight.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 555K

3 renders of Work-In-Progress spaceship interiors.

All the three are mostly complete.

Bridge, Cafeteria, and Engine room.

cruiser_bridge_WIP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 793K
    cafeteria_WIP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 685K
    engine_room_WIP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

Took me days to develop my own way to create a galaxy in Blender.

And here is the fruit of my labor.

twoclusters_cargorun_to_another_galaxy_june-26-2016.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 927K
  • LintonLinton Posts: 541

These are amazing! I will be watching this thread for more!

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

Interesting modelling. Your exteriors are particularly cool.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,652
    sura_tc said:

Took me days to develop my own way to create a galaxy in Blender.

And here is the fruit of my labor.

Very nice work there!!!

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Your mesh work is nice and clean, no reason you shouldn't keep improving and even releasing some freebies and possible doing some commercial addons. I have seen lots of commercial addons of much, much lesser quality.

edited August 2016

I consder this render a failure but decided to put it up here.

Earth textures were obtained by NASA. And spaceship meshes are my creations.

And of course made and rendered in Blender.

on_collision_course_earth_by_sura.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2016

Updated verison of the same render. But different angle and I added flame shader which took few days to reach where it is now.

I think it looks better. The render took 4 hours due to materials bouncing a lot of light.

on_collision_course_earth_by_sura.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited August 2016

I think this is the final version.

Render description is as below.

A spaceship is desperately trying to change a space freighter's angle as they both enter Earth's atmosphere. The freighter is falling apart already and is projected to crush on a land. The spaceship is trying to change its angle so that it will fall onto sea instead.

The other ship is just watching as it's too late to assist.

on_collision_course_earth_ver2_by_sura.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited September 2016

It's been a while.

Again, rendered in Blender. The only object that wasn't modelled by me was the spacesuit. ( Space Corps from Daz )

space_dockingbay_2016_sept_26_rev1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 826K
    edited October 2016

Another render.

space_quarter_earth_look-on_2016-Oct_4_jpg.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 929K
    edited October 2016

A war criminal in house arrest (Falsely accused by politics) has been pardoned and is receiving the highest honor of being received by a legendary spaceship, VN Cecilia.

the_grand_moment_2016_Oct_30.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited October 2016

A bonus from making above render was that I finally got to design a luxury shuttle which I've been meaning to design it for some time.

luxury_shuttle.png
    1280 x 720 - 605K
    edited November 2016

Another render titled Pluto base Alpha

Pluto-base-alpha_Nov_4_2016_jpg.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 568K
    edited February 2018

It's been a while (1 and half year?) but some updates.

I've modelled a mining barge spaceship. Lore wise, it is a small-time low-tech mining ship. It ues a high frequency laser to break off rocks and mining donres will pick smaller pieces. The drones then will drop the pieces off a rock crusher for a simple re-processing. It features two huge LED lights on front. The front fins are simple radiators to vent heat from the laser.

worker1_inspace.png
    1280 x 720 - 614K
    worker1_render_1.png
    1280 x 720 - 578K
    worker1_render_2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    worker1_mining_FHD.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Look fantastic...