layered rendering with alpha ?

croitorumadalincroitorumadalin Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey guys, i was wondering if it is possible to render with layers that contain alpha channel in Daz 4 ? And how wold one go about doing something like that ? Thanks

Comments

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure of what you want to do but that may be what you're looking for?

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

Okay, this may be wrong (especially for DS) BUT:

When Poser and DS load a texture they ignore the Alpha Channel. Instead, they use their own transparency channels This gives you much more control over how the transparency is applied.

If you really need the alpha channel info, extract it using a 2d program and save it as another file. Use this file for the transparency channels in the 3d program.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited September 2012

Hey guys, i was wondering if it is possible to render with layers that contain alpha channel in Daz 4 ? And how wold one go about doing something like that ? Thanks
    If you're talking about the final render scene...you used to be able to do something similar to this with Mood Master IIRC. Unfortunately that hasn't been updated in along time.

I think it would be possible to create a camera in ShaderMixer that could possibly do it. But I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe someone like Age of Armour or Richard will see this thread and help.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited September 2012

If you mean that you want your final image to contain alpha channel information I am pretty sure daz studio has always done this. If I remember correctly, say you want the background to be transparent/alpha channel in your final image, set the background color to black and render your image. When done you must save it in a file format that can contain alpha information such as tif, psd, png, etc. The jpg format can NOT contain alpha information so don't use that one. I always save in png format myself since jpgs degrade the quality a lot. It won't be a separate layer as image manipulation programs understand them, but I believe most image programs can separate the alpha channel stuff into its own layer quite easily.

Post edited by greymouser69 on
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Wow, just understood what the OP wanted. Greymouser got the right answer. You just have to save to a file format that handles alpha channel. Png works well

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

This is all true, tiff or png but you will have an outline all way around your rendered image when using these formats. Then you need to sort that out in PS or equivalent.

Surface Mask Creator http://www.daz3d.com/shop/surface-mask-creator-for-ds is what I use to make a perfect mask but with all the Daz Studio updates most functions don't work anymore. But it still works when the option of "All Selected Surfaces" is selected.

• croitorumadalincroitorumadalin Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey guys, thanks all a lot for the replys, and yes i was referring to rendering a final image with alpha channel. GreyMouser69 ho\w would you go about doing that, cause i can' t seem to find the proper " buttons " ? I' m a nubbie in Daz :D.THX

edited September 2012

When your render has finished go to File > Save Last Render and choose your format.

But remember what I said you will have an outline when viewed in Ps/GIMP etc. You will need to learn how to remove the edge and because I use Surface Mask Creator I have no idea how to help with removing the outline.

But this outline may not be a problem depending on your final background colour. Oh and just a correction your Background colour in DAz Studio doesn't need to be black, it can be any colour. This can help with reducing the dreaded outline I am referring to.

Post edited by Szark on
  • Widdershins StudioWiddershins Studio Posts: 539
    edited December 1969

So there's no way to remove the outline during the render process ?

Do you get this problem with Poser ?

edited February 2013

Not that I know of accept from doing different renders like Surface Mask Creator or using the "Defringe" function in Photoshop after rendering.

I will let someone more knowledgeable about Poser to answer your second question.

Post edited by Szark on
  • Widdershins StudioWiddershins Studio Posts: 539
    edited December 1969

OK thanks, not what I wanted t hear but thanks :)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Wait, what? I never get an outline around the edges of my renders, so I'm VERY curious what you're referring to...

Here's a shrunk version of an image I rendered earlier today...the background is, of course, transparent. I've also snapshotted a Preview so you can see it against a checkboard. No outline, so I'm fairly confident it's entirely possible, unless you see something I don't?

-- Morgan

Small_Babydoll_Render.png
    300 x 367 - 145K
    Babydoll_in_Preview.png
    408 x 422 - 172K
    edited December 1969

Well at that size I can't see anyway...but it does happen and does depend on what colour the background is you rendered with.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited February 2013

ZOMG! Miracles do happen!!!! o_O This deserves a rubber duck render!
    There is no longer a fringe around anything even with white background (tested in 4.5.1.56). At least not in PSP (Paint Shop Pro). There is still a very slight fuzz visible in The Gimp though.

Fringe_WhiteBkgrd_Neftis_DS4_5_1_56_PSP.png
    900 x 818 - 183K
    Fringe_WhiteBkgrd_Neftis_DS4_5_1_56_Gimp.png
    651 x 717 - 154K
    Post edited by ReDave on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited February 2013

Correct, your background color on the viewport DOES affect the transparency layer. This is because the edges of your render are anti-aliased against that color. I strongly recommend using a black background for most work because it's the least noticeable. However, if you know what the predominate color of your background is going to be, obviously, attempt to match that instead.

Defringing tools work reasonably well as ReDave has just learned, but I often skip them in favor of just using a black background (again, this works quite well unless your anticipated background is very light/bright). :)

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited December 1969

The big news being that I didn't defringe anything. ;-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited February 2013

Really? I don't recall any announcement that they'd switched to un-pre-mulitplied alphas, but they may have.

Edit: I can't see anything in the change log.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Still nice if they have Richard. This one aspect was a pain. Defringe worked up to a point but not perfect so if this is indeed true then weyhey good news.

edited December 1969

Background color anti-aliasing is definitely still happening in DS4.5.1.56.

Here's the DAZ Horse 2 Mane, rendered over a white viewport in DS4.5.1.56, saved to PNG, opened in PS and dropped in front of a black floodfill.

The second pic is a closeup of Genesis again, rendered over a white viewport, saved to PNG, and layered over a black flood fill in PS.

201302191667_fringe.png
    151 x 646 - 13K
    hairtransmap_test_blackhair_whiteviewport_ps_blackbg.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 337K
    edited December 1969

Rendering over a coloured background and compositing over a different colour the latest DS gives the same results as DS3, so I don't think this has been changed.

edited December 1969

It was too good to be true...I live in hope. Thanks Adam for testing that. God it is so frustratung not being able to use DS4.5.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    It was too good to be true...I live in hope. Thanks Adam for testing that. God it is so frustratung not being able to use DS4.5.
    Every version of DS ever since it was able to create PNGs/TIFs has done this.
    edited December 1969

Yeah I know that is why I use Surface Mask Creator so I avoid this issue.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Hey guys, thanks all a lot for the replys, and yes i was referring to rendering a final image with alpha channel. GreyMouser69 ho\w would you go about doing that, cause i can' t seem to find the proper " buttons " ? I' m a nubbie in Daz :D.THX

YES you can. I do this often. But BE CAREFUL with it. What I tend to do is render a background, use that as a background image, then render my lit figures over that background image. I've found that works a little better for keeping the figure looking like they're in the scene, and not pasted into the scene. If you use Background Image, you can still preserve alpha channels in your output. So you can save the final render as both a PNG with alpha and a JPG with the background if necessary.

edited December 1969

Oooh, what a let-down. Indeed it was just the default transparency background grid on PSP that was playing tricks on me. :-(
    Simply inverting the colours gives an awful fringe effect.

Fringe_NegativeBkgrd_Neftis_DS4_5_1_56.png
    900 x 900 - 553K
    edited December 1969

Yup, use a black background or a dark gray and you'll get more acceptable (though still fringed) results.

edited December 1969

Adam, I'm having a hard time telling if the background image colours are used in the alpha channel... do you know? Or is it always the background colour regardless of if there is an image present?

edited December 1969

Should be the image - try using an all-white image and a black background colour to test.

edited February 2013

Should be the image - try using an all-white image and a black background colour to test.

I did a couple of tests, and it's really hard to tell. But I used a pink and black background image with a white background colour. And you're right, it works the way it's supposed to! The background image is what is used on the alpha channel.

What's cool about that is that when you paste in a layer rendered over a background image, assuming that background image is also the set, your figure won't look like it's pasted in!

That will be your solution to that fringe effect.

Post edited by wancow on
  • Bruno AcciolyBruno Accioly Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

For those of you who plan to use your transparent background stills on Final Cut Pro X, I would consider watching this video so you can change duration of the stills so it can match the frame rate you want.

Final Cut X Image Sequences (duration)