Carrara Challenge #23: “Fire And Water”

chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
edited March 2016 in The Commons

Carrara Challenge #23: “Fire And Water”

You have been watching your favorite Viking show, dreaming of walks on the beach.

Do you remember the TV show Emergency about an LA Fire Department Station.

Are you the Captain of an 1800's British Frigate battling the French or American's?

What about Fire and Water in space?

Post Alien attack on a planet far, far away?

Your objective should you choose to accept:

Create a scene in which it has Fire And Water represented in it.

Every subject which comes to your mind is allowed, fantasy, steam punk, sci-fi, or whatever floats your Fire and Water boat. 

The idea is to utilize these primitives more and showcase them in new ways.

This also allows any new competitors to have a chance to learn about these wonderful primitives.

Basic rules will be:

1. Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge.

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.

4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).

5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread (this can be as simple as the scene setup, a pre/post post-work comparison or just a final image with a brief description of  the process you used or as complex as modeling rooms shots, shader setups or partial scene setups or test renders).

6.  At least one object in the scene has to be modeled in Carrara

7. At least one object in the scene has to be a Fire or Ocean primitive in Carrara. For new users this can count as the modeled in Carrara object.

Note: New user is defined as using Carrara for under 6 Months.

Sponsor:

smiley smiley smiley smiley   

Once again, Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following prizes:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $ 50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $ 25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention (4th place): $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Entry Thread Opens: Friday, March 18, 2016
Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Monday March 28, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
Voting Ends: Sunday, April 3, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

Post edited by chickenman on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited February 2016

The 60% off sale for Daz Originals as part of the RDNA merger includes firefighter props. 

http://www.daz3d.com/firefighting-equipment

firefighter.JPG
    344 x 453 - 38K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Here is a little teaser picture linked from the main thread.

MDO2010 is playing around a little bit with this concept. Will be interesting to see how it progresses.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited March 2016

March Madness sale currently includes the vendor OziChick, and the fire hazard product for G2F.  Could be a good fit for this Challenge month's theme.  I know I use G2F in Carrara all the time. 

ozichick firefighter.JPG
    684 x 826 - 76K
    Post edited by Diomede on

The Entry thread is now Open in the Carrara Forums.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited March 2016

To quote a popular Vorlon phrase - "And so, it begins..."

Yes, it's ...

The Quest For The Millennium Cow!

We go wherever The Quest leads us, for The Quest Is The Quest! {Crew repeats loudly, while pointing at The Heavens "The Quest Is The Quest!"}

It shall never end until it is over.

Back Story:

Here we see Milkshake the Toon Cow sailing through the night hoping to find The Millennium Cow before The Emissaries of Evil can gather their forces for The Final Battle between Cows and All That Is Naughty in The Entire Universe!!

Pray The Millennium Cow manifests itself in time!!  The Cows are our Only Hope!!!  Nothing short of Bovine Intervention can avert the impending Apocalypse!!!!

And The Millennium Cow is the Mightiest of Cows!

To have a bit of fun with the theme, the ocean is the fire primitive colored blue and scaled very large - while the fire on the torch is the ocean primitive with a custom shader scaled very small and with a Black Hole Modifier applied.

I like role reversal I guess.

The item modeled in Cowrarra may be the cow head from a free cow model which I modified to fit the ship better.  If that doesn't count, I modeled the torch all by myself!  Inserting that vertex object took Countless Millennia and may be the finest bit of modeling I have ever done.

Oh yeah, the sail is a fractal image from Mutatorkammer with a mesh type image in the bump channel to make it look clothy.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,815

Here's a WIP from my entry (to be posted shortly), an image called "That Hellbound Train".

This is the pure Carrara part of the image, before I started adding any of that nice 3rd-party content.

There's a single fire object (the final image has three), and a bunch of terrains. The other objects in the scene were made in Carrara's spline modeler, and are mostly things that I repurposed from other scenes.

HellboundTrainWIP01-01.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 375K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,846

@chickenman.. you may need to change the title of this thread in the commons as it isn't the WIP thread so as not to confuse any entries..

The Official WIP thread is in the Carrara board here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72368/carrara-challenge-23-fire-and-water-wip-thread#latest

Entry thread is here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/74260/carrara-challenge-23-fire-and-water-entry-thread#latest

Nice work so far @bytescapes pop your WIPs into the Carrara board WIP thread yes wink

And the Vote Tally is in.

With the little help of one of the forum mods tie was broken and now we finally have the winners:

FIRST PLACE (11 votes): Stringtheory9 - Entry 9 -"Neptune vs. the Volcano"       Prize: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

SECOND PLACE (8 votes): head wax - Entry 11 - "Smells Like Eggs"         Prize: $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

THIRD PLACE (7 votes): Stezza - Entry 4 - "Match IT"        Prize: $25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Honorable Mention / New Contestant (4 votes): Bytescapes - Entry 10 - "That Hellbound Train"        Prize: $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Congrats to ya all and thanks for Entering smiley

Hope you all play again next contest.