Carrara on Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia

Hi guys

I have searched the Forum for Carrara on Linux. But I haven't found any useful info, and so I thought I share this with you.

I installed Carrara 8.5 Pro 64bit on Linux Mint.

Carrara on Linux is insanely fast. Especially in the Vertex Modeler. I wish we could have that performance on Windows!

In a few days I will get a screen recorder and see how that impacts performance or not.

The GUI Font is Ubuntu.

below are a few screenshots

let me know what you guys think. 

Screenshot at 2024-05-14 07-43-19.png
1920 x 1080 - 323K
Screenshot at 2024-05-14 07-48-46.png
1920 x 1080 - 436K
Screenshot at 2024-05-14 07-51-57.png
1920 x 1080 - 269K
Screenshot at 2024-05-14 07-52-36.png
1920 x 1080 - 259K
Screenshot at 2024-05-14 07-54-56.png
1920 x 1080 - 332K

Comments

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 137

I just want to point out other software working on Linux

FilterForge

Coppercube GameEngine

older Version of e-on Software Vue 9.5 works for me (with the help of Google)

Vue 2023/24 will not even install (sad face)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

This is very interesting to me. Is there a forum where you document and discuss your explorations with others?

Are you using a wine-like shim, or wrapping the apps in QEMU/Zen/... VMs or ... ?

Thanks for posting this! - I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in.

cheers,

ms

mindsong said:

This is very interesting to me. Is there a forum where you document and discuss your explorations with others?

Are you using a wine-like shim, or wrapping the apps in QEMU/Zen/... VMs or ... ?

Thanks for posting this! - I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in.

cheers,

ms

I'm using a vanilla setup with Wine for AMD64

that's all

Thanks for the reply!

Wine is the important detail - perfect. I'm assuming you are running a relatively current Mint (linux kernel/libs) and recent version of Wine?

That's all very cool. Are you running the current FilterForge (13), and do you happen to have/try the FF batch-run add-on utilities?

(appreciating that I can also try these options for myself, it's always nice to know if the "end of the path" is likely to work, based on the experiences of those already forging ahead of us, etc.)

cheers!

--ms

edited May 18

mindsong said:

Thanks for the reply!

Wine is the important detail - perfect. I'm assuming you are running a relatively current Mint (linux kernel/libs) and recent version of Wine?

That's all very cool. Are you running the current FilterForge (13), and do you happen to have/try the FF batch-run add-on utilities?

(appreciating that I can also try these options for myself, it's always nice to know if the "end of the path" is likely to work, based on the experiences of those already forging ahead of us, etc.)

cheers!

--ms

yes FF13 64 bit no issues so far, I only got the lifetime upgrade. so I don't know any addons. but I assume they will work

I didn't have any luck with Affinity Photo/Designer, but aparently there is a workaround to run Affinity

Bryce on Linux is not worth the effort, sadly

older versions of Vue (9) do work with the help of Google ( … ) Vue 2023/2024 won't even install

Coppercube game engine works OK-ish

Cinema 4D R17 on previous Mint release (I still have to test this but runs premium)

I think Photoshop CS3 works, but I don't have CS3

one older version of Lightwave works, but I don't remember which I think 8 or 9 works

Screenshot at 2024-05-18 20-29-42.png
    1920 x 1080 - 931K
    Screenshot at 2024-05-18 20-29-53.png
    1920 x 1080 - 984K
    Screenshot at 2024-05-18 20-30-55.png
    1920 x 1080 - 652K
    Screenshot at 2024-05-18 20-33-04.png
    1920 x 1080 - 516K
    Post edited by Fettbemme on

rk66 said:

It's for Zorin OS but maybe helps it?

> https://www.zdnet.com/article/zorin-os-17-1-makes-it-even-easier-to-run-your-must-have-windows-apps-on-linux/

sounds cool

have you tried anything?

have you tried Vue 2023/24?

Fettbemme said:

mindsong said:

Thanks for the reply!

cheers!

--ms

yes FF13 64 bit no issues so far, I only got the lifetime upgrade. so I don't know any addons. but I assume they will work

I didn't have any luck with Affinity Photo/Designer, but aparently there is a workaround to run Affinity

older versions of Vue (9) do work with the help of Google ( … ) Vue 2023/2024 won't even install

Cinema 4D R17 on previous Mint release (I still have to test this but runs premium)

one older version of Lightwave works, but I don't remember which I think 8 or 9 works

Thanks for that info/screenshots!

I wonder if it's safe to assume that the various Carrara plugins will work too? I'd want to share a content library over a net-share with both platforms. That's an early experiment to try.

I wonder what makes Bryce incompatible. It's 32bit, but wine does 32 bit fine. hmm...

Cool stuff. I'll add to the list when I get a updated wine instance in place (last used it almost 10 years ago...)

Now you've got me wondering about all sorts of apps - Hexagon, Iclone, etc... Not enough hours, eh?

cheers,

--ms

mindsong said:

Fettbemme said:

mindsong said:

Thanks for the reply!

cheers!

--ms

Thanks for that info/screenshots!

I wonder if it's safe to assume that the various Carrara plugins will work too? I'd want to share a content library over a net-share with both platforms. That's an early experiment to try.

I wonder what makes Bryce incompatible. It's 32bit, but wine does 32 bit fine. hmm...

Cool stuff. I'll add to the list when I get a updated wine instance in place (last used it almost 10 years ago...)

Now you've got me wondering about all sorts of apps - Hexagon, Iclone, etc... Not enough hours, eh?

cheers,

--ms

I will check this later

got ZORIN installed.

Carrara on ZORIN is trash. Don't use ZORIN. The Interface is looking great but takes all resources from the GPU. I have to get back to Mint first, then I try the Plugins.

Plugins seem to work, but surely there could be plugins that don't work. who knows

AC3D working premium

Hexagon working premium

Carrara on Linux has not that viewport rotation bug (when you constantly rotate around one selected object, the object gets closer and closer. that doesn't happen on Linux)

carraraplugins.png
    1920 x 1080 - 241K
    hexagon_01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 248K
    hexagon_02.png
    1920 x 1080 - 209K
    hexagon_03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 236K
    AC3D.png
    1920 x 1080 - 211K
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,011

And these  current UnReal Enginez have an Linux Versionz  +  thanx

• rk66rk66 Posts: 437

@Fettbemme

I have read it only. I use Zorin OS not more.

I use now Fedora Spin KDE and BigLinux.

edited May 20

Appreciating and inspired by your results @Fettbemme!

I see you're using Mint 21.3 - can you do me the favor of checking your specific kernel version and wine version?

(WOW - if I type a particular benign linux command to get that krn version *in this message* ( u_n_a_m_e   -a ), Cloudflare's security settings *block* me in this forum (big popup!)! That's both impressive and crazy!, especially since this is an https connection and Cloudflare can still see what I'm typing, lol! Granted that kernel version information would be useful to a hacker, it's purely an informational command that changes nothing on the host linux machine - so typing it is no threat to the machine. again... wow)

Back to the topic,  @Fettbemme - I would like to be able to replicate the key system elements (kernel/wine) on another linux distro if needed, so that info would be useful to me.

For others following along, the implication that we can run these great tools forever (and faster?!), regardless the system compatibility choices Microsoft makes in the future is great news. Props to the Linux/Wine developers!

I may go visit the "DS on wine" thread and see how it's doing these days. I'd love to know that I could also run my older DS versions in wine forever.

This will all certainly become more interesting if some updated version of Windows obsoletes this SW gem called Carrara.

My curiosity engine has been tickled.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
    edited May 20

mindsong said:

I see you're using Mint 21.3 - can you do me the favor of checking your specific kernel version and wine version?

(WOW - if I type a particular benign linux command to get that krn version *in this message* ( u_n_a_m_e   -a ), Cloudflare's security settings *block* me in this forum (big popup!)! That's both impressive and crazy!, especially since this is an https connection and Cloudflare can still see what I'm typing, lol! Granted that kernel version information would be useful to a hacker, it's purely an informational command that changes nothing on the host linux machine - so typing it is no threat to the machine. again... wow)

Back to the topic,  @Fettbemme - I would like to be able to replicate the key system elements (kernel/wine) on another linux distro if needed, so that info would be useful to me.

For others following along, the implication that we can run these great tools forever (and faster?!), regardless the system compatibility choices Microsoft makes in the future is great news. Props to the Linux/Wine developers!

I may go visit the "DS on wine" thread and see how it's doing these days. I'd love to know that I could also run my older DS versions in wine forever.

This will all certainly become more interesting if some updated version of Windows obsoletes this SW gem called Carrara.

cheers,

--ms

wow, that's crazy. never had something like that

anyway

Wine 6.0 stable 64 bit

Linux Stock-Kernel 5.15 from the shelf

then, every graphicscard is different

RAM etc. I have this on a low-spec Ryzen 5 integrated VEGA and 16 GB RAM

edited May 20

Fettbemme said:

mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

anyway

Wine 6.0 stable 64 bit

perfect! the system I'd be testing on is newer than that, but not current - and wine current (winehq.org) is at v9.x - so, all of this working that well on non-bleeding edge (stable) kernels and wine versions is also really good news. I prefer stable to bleeding edge.

FWIW, I (re)found the "DS on Linux" thread (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60901/daz-studio-and-linux/p1), and their success (DS 4.22.x.x) is consistent and impressive, especially as wine can directly access local NVIDIA cards and servers with the libraries they're using - sometimes running faster than native windows.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

mindsong said:

Fettbemme said:

mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

anyway

Wine 6.0 stable 64 bit

perfect! the system I'd be testing on is newer than that, but not current - and wine current (winehq.org) is at v9.x - so, all of this working that well on non-bleeding edge (stable) kernels and wine versions is also really good news. I prefer stable to bleeding edge.

FWIW, I (re)found the "DS on Linux" thread (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60901/daz-studio-and-linux/p1), and their success (DS 4.22.x.x) is consistent and impressive, especially as wine can directly access local NVIDIA cards and servers with the libraries they're using - sometimes running faster than native windows.

cheers,

--ms

regardless, it's a huge step forward but shows, you cannot quit Windows easily

I still have Cinema 4D as my main tool and 123D, Adobe Illustrator, and now Vue and PlantFactory. I tried with Wine, Bottles, Proton, but no success.

it's still dual boot for me and as long this keeps going I might as well stay on Windows

what can I do?

• Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 97

did you install the latest Carrara 8.5? 

Last time I've tried I had issues with DAZ Install Manager which at some time became mandatory to install any DAZ3D software, Is there a stand alone installer of Carrara 8.5 latest version? 

Does Carrara 8.5 run out of the box perfectly? Previously the one needed to turn off some caching option in the setting for renderer to work. 

Great to see more people interested in running Carrara on Linux :) 

I should install it again :) 

edited May 23

Jetbird D2 said:

Last time I've tried I had issues with DAZ Install Manager which at some time became mandatory to install any DAZ3D software, Is there a stand alone installer of Carrara 8.5 latest version? 

Does Carrara 8.5 run out of the box perfectly? Previously the one needed to turn off some caching option in the setting for renderer to work. 

Yes go to your >> MY ACCOUNT (Top Right Corner on the website) >> Product Library >> type in the searchbox Carrara 8.5

Menu.PNG
    1036 x 120 - 18K
    Library.PNG
    1401 x 935 - 292K

Fettbemme said:

Jetbird D2 said:

Yes go to your >> MY ACCOUNT (Top Right Corner on the website) >> Product Library >> type in the searchbox Carrara 8.5

I believe the possibly non-obvious point to this helpful post, is that the original v8.5 EXE installers are still available from you product library, and the DIM tool isn't required. FWIW, with some of the DAZ store programs (non-content), this is the *only* way to get your purchased products - as in the DIM tool doesn't/can't be used to even download some of them. Especially older products/tools.

cheers,

--ms