the dpi setting for rendering animations?

i've been leaving it at 72, is that wrong?

finally settled on rendering at 1600 x 900, even though my monitor can go higher. can't compete with pixar  lol.

set gamma correction to 1.8.  is that wrong?  mebbe 1.4?

Comments

• If you are setting pixel size and not planning to print the result then PPI is meaningless. It is useful only for turning a size set in physical units into a number of pixels and for determing the physical size of a printed image (or an image placed on a vitual page with a physical size, such as an Illustrator artboard or a Word page)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

well, it says dpi in the render settings.

don't know the difference from ppi, 

ultimately want the video in .vob format on dvd.smiley

how did they decide on 72?

isn't enough to learn the software >.<  
    also director, video editor, 

• DPI is physical dots of ink from a printer, PPI is pixels in an image, SPI is samples from a scanner. The distinction is useful, when printing, it takes several dots to show a pixel with anything like reasonable colour depth so the potential PPI will be less than the device's DPI. In any event, your needs are determined by the actual pixel dimensions of the output format so no, PPI (or DPI) don't matter.

The long standing assumption is that 72PPI was chosen for "screen resolution" as it was about the pixel density of early displays, so a 72PPI image on screen was "actual size" for use as a preview of a printed image (usually 300PPI for a 300DPI laser as, being bitmaps, there was no mismatch in colour depth between screen pixel and printer dot). Modern screens are typically much denser, so on Windows at least 96 is often assumed for an untagged (no PPI value) image.

i should use 96 dpi then!

thanks. smiley

• No. It is meaningless for what you want to do. What you need to do is to set the height and width to achieve HD. Frame rate as well.

A 1080P display is 1,080 pixels high. Since an HD display is a 16:9 format the width would be 1,920 pixels wide, so 1920 X 1080. This is assuming you want progressiive and not interlaced. The frame rate should also be set to 24 FPS.

720P is another popular size. It is also a 16:9 aspect, so the dimensions you would need are 1280 x 720 pixels, where 720 is the height.

Look at this Wikipedia article about .vob as I think you don't understand what it is, or how it "works."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB

still haz to read the manual, the sony s/w says it can set up dvd menus.  
    didnt want to get ahead of myself lol. haven't rendered movie yet.  

reading that scene motion blur is not the same ting as obj motion blur.  don't understand how to do scene motion blur http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/animation/cameras/traditional_film_camera_techniqu.htm

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

In the "Rendering" setting for your scene,. there's a "Motion blur" section,. this is where you can enable scene motion blur,.

In Carrara,. motion blur is created by rendering several "samples" of each frame, and then creating a final frame with motion blur.

this obviously takes longer, since each frame is being rendered (sampled) multiple times to produce a final frame with motion blur applied.

try a simple scene with a sphere or a cube moving around,. to see how it works.

You can also render out a "Velocity pass", which can be used in a Video editor to add a blur effect.

There are also plugins like "Reelsmart Motion Blur" (RSMB) which can add motion blur to your project, inside the video editor in almost real time.

(for me, that's the easiest simplest, and fastest solution).... apart from...

OctaneRender for Carrara,  can render with motion blur,.. without the "per frame" sub-sampling.

If you're trying to simulate the feel of a real camera,.you should think about using "Depth of field" and Motion blur. real world Camera's always have both.

Unless you've created a full length movie ..(after editing your clips together),. I wouldn't suggest burnimg onto a physical DVD (unless you really really need to)

DVD's are not recyclable.

Export to something like Quicktime (.mov) or AVI using h264,(MP4) .compression codec, (much smaller file than DVD)

• I burn to DVDs all the time, but those are for customers. I also burn DVDs of some of my clips, proofs of concepts, tests, etc. if I want to get an idea of how certain things look on televisions. The aren't recyclable, but they are cheap.

Andy is spot on when suggesting post-work for motion blur. I would add, that if you have a video editor that can do motion blur, you may have the ability to composite, in which case you could render a depth pass and use that to generate a DOF in your video editor.

• I was having problem in Carrara 8.5 Pro where my renderings of Daz Studio characters with eyelashes (such as V4, M4 and various Genesis characters) were not rendering the eyelash transparency. The problem solved itself when I adjusted the "DPI" up from 72 to 144. At 144 DPI Carrara renders the eyelashes realistically and beautifully.