Network forecast for this afternoon: Cloudy

I just wanted to give everyone a warning that we have some network migrations happening this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.

Our datacenter provider expects that this will be about an under fifteen minute outage while they physically move our network switches onto newer equipment. While all of our server equipment is redundant we have to physically switch around some ports to core networking equipment and that will take a second to re-sync. We are expecting this to happen at High Noon Mountain time today. There will be some additional server moves to prepare, and some moves afterwards but with the full redundancy nothing should be noticeable to all of you.

I'll post an update when everything is done.

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992

Thanks for the heads up. :-)

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

Sounds like Cloudy with a high expectation of SNAFUs. I hate network migrations with a purple passion.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Etrigan said:

Sounds like Cloudy with a high expectation of SNAFUs. I hate network migrations with a purple passion.

Is it that time of year already?  I didn't think that migration season was here yet...or is that migraine season?

As long as the tech doing it isn't named Murphy, it shouldn't be too bad...knock on simulated, virtual wood.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Our datacenter provider was having some internal network issues on their office network so we called off the migration today. There were some minor upgrades along the way but sadly, not the big change that would have resulted in better performance yet.

I'll give you all a heads up when we give this another try. Third time's the charm.

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318

not a good sign that the own network has issues ;)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

not a good sign that the own network has issues ;)

LOL, I was just thinking that laugh

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,222
    Etrigan said:

Wow, you are prescient! It is VERY SNAFU'd. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61357/can-t-download-from-dim-or-product-library

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    edited August 2015
    barbult said:
    Etrigan said:

Wow, you are prescient! It is VERY SNAFU'd. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61357/can-t-download-from-dim-or-product-library

While I've been known to be somewhat gifted, wink I've been through, and managed, such migrations before. The lords of IT try their best, but the Gremlins of Bug are legion and not without their ways. (I just couldn't make Bug a verb, trust me).

It seems even the forae are vulnerable.

Post edited by Etrigan on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071
    Etrigan said:
    barbult said:
    Etrigan said:

While I've been known to be somewhat gifted, wink I've been through, and managed, such migrations before. The lords of IT try their best, but the Gremlins of Bug are legion and not without their ways. (I just couldn't make Bug a verb, trust me).

Yeah - been there, done that. And even with rack-level diagrams and switch port configurartion spreadsheets showing which ports are on which VLAN assignments you still end up with that one server that just won't talk to the rest of the world. We had a one-hour reconfig take us over six hours once - because the firsat cut at the rewire was done from the back of the servers with the diagram showing the front. One hour of rewire, three hours of what the heck, one hour of unwire, and one more hour of rewire. From that point on we posted a front view AND a back view and did a dress rehersal before the shutdowns.

Good luck to the DAZ network group - they may need it tonight!

• DAZ_Rawb said:

I just wanted to give everyone a warning that we have some network migrations happening this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.

Our datacenter provider expects that this will be about an under fifteen minute outage while they physically move our network switches onto newer equipment. While all of our server equipment is redundant we have to physically switch around some ports to core networking equipment and that will take a second to re-sync. We are expecting this to happen at High Noon Mountain time today. There will be some additional server moves to prepare, and some moves afterwards but with the full redundancy nothing should be noticeable to all of you.

I'll post an update when everything is done.

wOW, THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WOULD WORK AND HAS ITS USE IF IT WAS MAILED TO US OR VISIBLE ON THE DAZ SITE!! not cool daz!! not cool at all. I tried to download an order about 15 min ago ( 6.00Oçlock in the morning/ 21-08-2015/ Europe/Netherlands)  and I was not able and yes , also my product library was empty/gone. Glad I am not the only one. I guess I'll have to wait till ????

frownno

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

There is a site message now in red that says Notice: Product Download Delay - Thank you for your patience

when you click it:

Unfortunately we are experiencing a delay in the delivery of files to customers. We are very sorry for the inconvenience! But don't worry, we are still recording every purchase made and you will be able to receive your files as soon as the download service is back online, either through DIM or by directly downloading them.

Thank you for your patience,
    The folks at Daz.

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

Just wondering how long before we can download...been waiting since last night and still getting the notice...I know these things take time...just an eta;)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158

yea I was wonder the same thing I have 3 downloads of stuff i have purchased the last day or so and still do not have download buttons  for the products   Cracks whips ~~~~~~+ lets get on it already..lol

Capture.JPG
    1762 x 931 - 171K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    Ivy said:

yea I was wonder the same thing I have 3 downloads of stuff i have purchased the last day or so and still do not have download buttons  for the products   Cracks whips ~~~~~~+ lets get on it already..lol

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

I've been focusing all of my updates on this thread over here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61360/product-library-dissappearing#latest

tl;dr: We aren't quite there yet but we are close to the finishing line.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,209
    namffuak said:
    Etrigan said:
    barbult said:
    Etrigan said:

Yeah - been there, done that. And even with rack-level diagrams and switch port configurartion spreadsheets showing which ports are on which VLAN assignments you still end up with that one server that just won't talk to the rest of the world. We had a one-hour reconfig take us over six hours once - because the firsat cut at the rewire was done from the back of the servers with the diagram showing the front. One hour of rewire, three hours of what the heck, one hour of unwire, and one more hour of rewire. From that point on we posted a front view AND a back view and did a dress rehersal before the shutdowns.

Good luck to the DAZ network group - they may need it tonight!

I may be struggling to live on my tiny retirement income but I don't have to worry about fixing problems like this anymore.  Yea! (*happy dance*)