How much RAM does DAZ 4 need?

IlenaIlena Posts: 280
edited December 1969 in New Users

Every time I try to render it a simple scene often than not crashes somewhere in the middle of the render process and to try a more complicated scene is out of options for me because of this.I've read that the cause of this might be low memory. In my case that might be true. Currently have 2GB ; been thinking to get another 2GB and have 4GB but have no idea if that would be enough? Does processor plays some part or graphics card? Also, I heard that DAZ studio 3 is more stable when it comes to rendering and more stable in general so if that one free or do you have to pay for it?
Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited August 2012

Ilena52 said:
    Every time I try to render it a simple scene often than not crashes somewhere in the middle of the render process and to try a more complicated scene is out of options for me because of this.I've read that the cause of this might be low memory. In my case that might be true. Currently have 2GB ; been thinking to get another 2GB and have 4GB but have no idea if that would be enough? Does processor plays some part or graphics card? Also, I heard that DAZ studio 3 is more stable when it comes to rendering and more stable in general so if that one free or do you have to pay for it?
    Thank you in advance. :)

The Graphics card plays no part in a 3Delight render, it is CPU only. You don;t say what your Operating System is?

What kind of lighting is in your scene? Have you checked the log file, Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File for any clues?

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see how much RAM is being used during the render?

If you previously bought DS3 through the store, you can reset your download for it, but it is no longer available. The basic version was always free, but the advanced version was paid for.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I run a 32 bit Dual Core Intel with 3 GB of Ram and I do have to watch how big the scene gets in Polygon terms. Two Genesis and a background prop leaves about enough RAM left to render. I don't have that many crashes if I watch the meshes. As soon as I take my eye of the polygon count of a scene I start to get crashes due to no memory left. Daz Studio has the "Scene Info" pane found under Window > Tabs > Scene Info, here you can see all sorts of info about a scene as pictured beloew. If you want a polygon count for a particular item select it in the Scene Pane and then look in the Scene Info pane.

Also advanced lighting and raytraced shadows need more calculations to render this too can cause crashes whilst rendering.

Given that Vista and I think Windows 7 needs near on 2 GB to run doesn't leave much for Daz Studio.

SceneInfo.jpg
    353 x 530 - 103K