Has The Photometric Spotlight Option Been Move in 4.8

GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,486

I'm not finding this option under the create menu as in the public build. Please advise. Is it just an option under the spotlight tool settings now?

Post edited by Greybro on

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

It's automated now. Dependent on which renderer you have selected, the appropriate settings will appear on the 'standard' lights.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

Righteous! That's on point. Thanks for the help.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    It's automated now. Dependent on which renderer you have selected, the appropriate settings will appear on the 'standard' lights.

What do you mean the appropriate settings will appear on the standard lights? Sorry but you lost me (not hard to do, I haven't started with iray but am trying to follow along.)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    prixat said:

What do you mean the appropriate settings will appear on the standard lights? Sorry but you lost me (not hard to do, I haven't started with iray but am trying to follow along.)

When Iray is the render engine you will get the photometric and geometry options, when the render engine is 3delgiht those will be hidden but you will get the shadow type options.

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, but I was in iray as the render engine. I'm following Val's tutorial, and he goes to Create to do that photometric spotlight but it isn't there (as the first person mentioned.) The other menus are there (working with ISO right now)

Val said to create one so the headlamp would be eliminated, I found that over in Parameters and turned it off. But I'd still like to know where the heck the Photometric Spotlight is.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,820
    edited December 1969

Assuming that your default render engine is 3Delight:

1. Create new spotlight. All of the options you see under parameters will be familiar 3Delight options
    2. Go to Render pane and switch your render engine from 3Delight to NVidia Iray
    3. Go back to the Actors pane and select your new spotlight. On the Parameters tab, your available options will have changed. The 3Delight options will be gone, and the Iray options present, including a toggle for "Photometric Mode". However, this is not turned on by default. You will need to switch it from Off to On. At that point, all the Photometric options will appear.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

The point we are trying to make is that there are not two light types - PM and not - but one light that changes the available parameters depending on render engine.

edited December 1969

The step by step will be helpful- thanks VWrangler :) I have to be babystepped and told to create the spotlight with 3DL then change over. That's not intuitive. (Sucks, actually!) I'm in the middle of a render but will try it, I'm sure I won't have any problems. Thanks to you too Richard- you're very patient!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Val's tutorial was made when the lights WERE separate.

Now it's not needed.

edited December 1969

Okay, the other thing that has disappeared is Environment- SS Sun Node. I am watching a video tutorial and in it, the SS Sun Mode is under Dome Rotation (meaning it's the next item down, not that it's a submenu.) So where did that scoot off to?

edited December 1969

Actually, the entire section is gone, the longitude, latitude, and time of day.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

It should also be context sensitive...

I'm not sure how to turn it all on, now, as I haven't been doing any Iray stuff, lately (in a way it's like when you go to your favorite grocery store and they decided, since the last time you were there to swap everything around...now those chips you wanted are at the OTHER end of the aisle).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,199
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    The Sun settings and HDRI environment map are mutually exclusive. If you have something loaded in the environment map, you can't use or see the settings for the sun. Delete that environment map and the sun settings will be displayed again.
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Novica said:

I'm not sure how to turn it all on, now, as I haven't been doing any Iray stuff, lately (in a way it's like when you go to your favorite grocery store and they decided, since the last time you were there to swap everything around...now those chips you wanted are at the OTHER end of the aisle).

With Dome on, the SunSky controls appear if there's no HDR map for the dome.

edited December 1969

See, the problem is I am at the VERY beginning of learning this- and am following the video step by step and he didn't show deleting anything. . It's http://www.daz3d.com/super-quick-easy-ds-iray-tricks by Val and super easy to follow- he goes slow- and he loads up Desert Outpost. I am noticing in his that in Environment Map, it says Choose Map but in mine it shows an image. So..

if I do delete that map and want it back, where would it be? I moused over the image and wrote down the path, but is it in the studio somewhere that would be easier than going into my folders?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Novica said:

LOL, I think I would do MUCH better finding chips than doing iray...but I'm not giving up!

Eliminating the map worked. Not understanding all this, but scooting along. I am going to scrutinize the video again to see if I missed something or if some steps were left out (aka, deleting the map.) Probably me.

Thanks folks.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,199
    edited December 1969

I think your problem with that tutorial is that it was created using a Beta version of DAZ Studio 4.8. Things changed quickly and made it out of date almost immediately.

The environment map image that preloads with DS 4.8 can be reloaded by clicking on the currently loaded environment map icon in the Dome section of the render settings and selecting Browse. Then navigate to the path that you wrote down. You can always save a Render Settings preset to easily reload any group of render settings you like.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Novica said:
    The Sun settings and HDRI environment map are mutually exclusive. If you have something loaded in the environment map, you can't use or see the settings for the sun. Delete that environment map and the sun settings will be displayed again.

Here's a tip regarding that :) Thank you all for helping me! (I'm posting my progress and what I'm finding out on my art studio thread, starting at the VERY beginning of learning iray.) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52145/P915/#853512

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I think your problem with that tutorial is that it was created using a Beta version of DAZ Studio 4.8. Things changed quickly and made it out of date almost immediately. .

Yeah, so I think I'll note what's changed so everyone that is trying to follow it doesn't go through this! :) Thank you (everyone) so much, otherwise I'd be bogged down.