LAMH & Garibaldi - will they work with DS 4.8?

Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi does anyone know if these product work okay in DS 4.8 and if they can be used with the Iray renderer and Iray shaders?

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

Garibaldi works OK in DS 4.8 with 3Delight but can't get it to work with IRay (hair is invisible with default settings). Don't have an NVidia card though, don't know if that matters, or if there is a way to change the settings to make it work.

• nickalamannickalaman Posts: 196
    edited December 1969

I've been searching the forums also, can't seem to find an answer. I'm pretty sure it does not work as is, but you'd have to export the hair as an object, problem is I'm not sure if garibaldi hair has an export feature.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,892
    edited December 1969

Both plug-ins use 3Delight features for the hair. Both can export as OBJ, which will be usable in Iray but at a high resource cost.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks very much for the replies. Was tempted to buy Garibaldi as it's on sale today...not so sure now.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited June 2015

Eva1 said:
    Okay, thanks very much for the replies. Was tempted to buy Garibaldi as it's on sale today...not so sure now.

Its extremely stable and very intuitive. Even on older systems. Its uses what is known as RiCurves to create the hair but that is only available when using 3Delight. It can exported an OBJ file of the hair that can be used in Iray and other render engines but it will be heavy on resources to do so.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

LAMH runs under 4.8. An update will be coming to support rendering in Iray without extra work.

Kendall

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Thanks Mattymanx and Kendall - I was going to get Garibaldi in the sale but looks like the sales' finished now:( .

• XpiderManXpiderMan Posts: 426
    edited December 1969

I was going to buy Garibaldi as well, but the sale is gone. I was really hoping there would be a better way to use it with iRay... :(

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

LAMH runs under 4.8. An update will be coming to support rendering in Iray without extra work.

Kendall

Wonderful news!
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824
    edited December 1969

Yes Kendall that is indeed great news, iray is growing on me, I prefer Octane but have that with hair in Carrara anyway so to use LAMH in in DS would be a treat as my carrara refurrings of Alessandros critters are rather messy and it cannot use the animal's UV maps on the pelt in Octane.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Kendall

OOhhh...

GREATLY looking Forward to this.!!!!

S.K.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Kendall

This is where I declare my undying love to you and AM, and ask if it is two pounds of chocolate or five I should send to both of ya.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

My edit garibaldi hair button isn't on the edit menu anymore I haven't used it in a whole so not sure if it got moved or is just missing

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

Figured it out and got my hair created, I tried exporting as obj but when I imported it it was insanely huge

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Does that mean it'll create curves in Iray just like it does in 3Delight, or will it just be a streamlining of the "create an .obj hair prop" process?
    edited December 1969

Does that mean it'll create curves in Iray just like it does in 3Delight, or will it just be a streamlining of the "create an .obj hair prop" process?

Iray does not have "curves" or such. However, the LAMH method is not as brute force as other methods (trying to be polite).

Kendall

• Eva1 said:

Hi does anyone know if these product work okay in DS 4.8 and if they can be used with the Iray renderer and Iray shaders?

Hi there, I am unable to get LAMH to work with 4.8. I get a message saying it can't find the library with Daz 3D/studio/content    It says I need to create it. I can't find this Daz 3d content folder on my PC anywhere. Please can someone advise.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Is that official, that it will have support for iray without any tweaking, exporting etc?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

I've had no problem with LAMH in 4.8.

Converting to obj for Iray is annoying, but it's manageable.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    nicstt said:

Is that official, that it will have support for iray without any tweaking, exporting etc?

I am hoping LAMH will have a solution for rendering in Iray that doesn't require exporting OBJs because it's far too heavy on DS, (even with a GTX 980 GPU and 32 GB ram.) especially for real world quantity of hairs and hair widths, not to mention decent density of fur. 

The problem is that the LAMH Iray update apparently depends on NVIDIA updating Iray, so... who knows when.
    edited August 2015
    Actually, it doesn't... it depends on life deciding to stop trying to flatten me like a pancake long enough to get the next update completed -- which is very close to done. Kendall
    The problem is that the LAMH Iray update apparently depends on NVIDIA updating Iray, so... who knows when.
    Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited August 2015

Yayz!

Hoping that life starts going your way in the near future. smiley 

Post edited by TJohn on
    Actually, it doesn't... it depends on life deciding to stop trying to flatten me like a pancake long enough to get the next update completed -- which is very close to done. Kendall

Oh good! Here's wishing you well, and not just out of self interest. ;)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    Actually, it doesn't... it depends on life deciding to stop trying to flatten me like a pancake long enough to get the next update completed -- which is very close to done.
    Yay! You and AM are so awesome, y'all can do it! :)