Hair Frizzies for Udane Hair and Micah Hair *Now Available* (Commercial)

DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Two new items of mine dubbed "Hair Frizzies" have just been released in the store, one for Udane Hair and the other for Micah Hair. These products are designed to give your renders that extra push of realism and detail, attempting to bring trans mapped hair closer to the real deal.

Realistic renders are designed to mimic things you're used to seeing outside the realm of CGI. Most of these renders go for photographic results rather than every day life, models with perfect hair and perfect makeup which are often edited in a way that isn't realistic. We are more in tune to every day life filled with imperfections and this product is meant to replicate that.

Frizzies for Udane Hair and Micah Hair will add additional layers of transparency to produce a more natural look, giving the hair more volume and details like split ends and asymmetry. Two new 4096 x 4096 transparency maps for each product provide this extra detail and are used to create a suite of new options while maintaining stylizations of the original hair.

Udane Hair presets work with the Genesis 2 Female version of Udane Hair from AprilYSH. Micah Hair presets work with the Genesis 2 Male and Genesis 2 Female versions of the hair.

http://www.daz3d.com/udane-hair-frizzies-realistic-hair-augmentation-for-daz-studio

http://www.daz3d.com/micah-hair-frizzies-realistic-hair-augmentation-for-daz-studio

1-MicahFrizzies-Main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 568K
1-UdaneFrizz-Main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 675K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816
    edited December 1969

will it work in Octane? Carrara other software? or is it DAZ specific preset shaders as well as maps

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

They require geometry shells which are at DAZ Studio specific thing, they should work with any renderer piped out of DAZ Studio (Reality, Luxus, 3Delight and Iray).

edited December 1969

ah I can work with that
    I have successfully rigged exported reimported geometry shells using Transfer Utility before for iClone and Carrara

edited December 1969

They shouldn't give you anymore trouble than other geometry shells. Just remember their distance from the original mesh is what makes them look the way they do, layer 2 is offset a bit more than layer 1. The space between each layer is what gives it volume and dictates how frizzy it is.

Here's a image showing a bit more of what's going on.

Explain.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 252K
    edited December 1969

Here is an Iray render showing how the hair shaders translate.

Iray.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 336K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

I'd be interested in seeing this technique applied to some of Valea's hairs, which tend to be very smooth and neat, as well.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

Here is an Iray render showing how the hair shaders translate.
    I am impressed with how that looks on her, full hair, with depth.

As for her, about a million questions, tho, I'll just leave it at, "Chin dropping work on the skin shader". I plugged away trying to get Wachiwi's mats to look remotely convincing, and gave up after over a week of going nowhere.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

neat idea!

edited December 1969

Thank you for the comments, everyone! I'm hoping these do well so I can make some more, it's an idea I've been using for my own renders a while now and thought you guys could make some use of it. Smooth hair like Valea releases would benefit the most so I would like to do some of those if things work out.

Here's something I realized the other day. By using multiple copies of the hair and hiding specific layers you can use different morphs for the frizz than the base hair. Switching things up with some movement morphs can lead to some fun effects and more realistic "spreading" of individual hairs. The example here is extreme but shows you can make things super frizzy this way.

Layers.jpg
    184 x 506 - 62K
    Iray2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 401K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

So these won't work with the Genesis versions?

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2015

Nice job DT, and thank you for choosing udane and micah for your augmentation! :lol:

While you're here, just gotta ask do you have Iray hdr sets in the works? ;)

(also while you're here, must mention your avatar reminds me of the walking dead title scene lol)

Post edited by AprilYSH on
    edited December 1969

They do but they usage is a bit different. The presets I made included some to load the hair figure just for ease of use, so you wouldn't have to go between folders to load original files and these addons. Those hair figure loading presets are specific to Genesis 2 but the extra layer presets aren't. If you want to use the Genesis version you just have to load the figure from AprilYSH's folders before applying the layer presets to that.

edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:
    Nice job DT, and thank you for choosing udane and micah for your augmentation! :lol:

While you're here, just gotta ask do you have Iray hdr sets in the works? ;)

(also while you're here, must mention your avatar reminds me of the walking dead title scene lol)

Thank you! You make my favorite hair figures so the choice was easy on my part. I have a lot of stuff lined up for Iray, hopefully before long I will be able to fill everyone in on where my time's been going lately :)

edited December 1969

They do but they usage is a bit different. The presets I made included some to load the hair figure just for ease of use, so you wouldn't have to go between folders to load original files and these addons. Those hair figure loading presets are specific to Genesis 2 but the extra layer presets aren't. If you want to use the Genesis version you just have to load the figure from AprilYSH's folders before applying the layer presets to that. assuming the geometry dose not fold over completely on the neck, lol. I have a few V4 styles that were not 'Properly' converted to Genesis (1&2) from genertion4, and they ALL have kinks at the neck.

Still looks really good in your examples DimensionTheory. How dose it look with the head turned to the side a little?

ZdgWachiwi_000GisTest001013c11_ScreenCapCrop002lbl1.png
    1119 x 611 - 924K
    AddMeshSmoothing2_adjustments3001_Crop1_lbl1.png
    1235 x 494 - 416K
    edited December 1969

iClone Apex cloth physX
    doing a better one but I really need to make specific UV based weightmaps with falloff for best result

edited December 1969

assuming the geometry dose not fold over completely on the neck, lol. I have a few V4 styles that were not 'Properly' converted to Genesis (1&2) from genertion4, and they ALL have kinks at the neck.

Still looks really good in your examples DimensionTheory. How dose it look with the head turned to the side a little?

Any addons that I make using this method will behave the same as the base hair, geometry shells are just duplicates of the existing geometry that are offset from it's surfaces. So if I were to make an addon for the hair in your examples it would have that same kink when turning the head, if you have Udane or Micah hairs you would be able to see exactly how it behaves with any specific characters or poses you have.

That kink in your example can probably be smoothed out with subdivision though, the times where I've come across that issue were usually handled pretty well by converting the hair to Sub-D.

edited December 1969
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I love this, it's awesome, I want more. =)

edited December 1969

thanks DimensionTheory, that is understandable. So it's multiple copies of the existing mesh, of sorts. I've had no luck with sub-d and mesh smoothing with some styles. No desire to make others look bad, sorry for asking.

wendy♥catz it almost looks like his hand is going under the scalp, like a hand under a rug, lol. The cats on the carpet did appear to work better in that program. I take it is allot of work to get things to animate without stuff going threw other stuff. I've only done minimal animated drapes, only for static renders.

edited December 1969

Lol the cats were carrara hair
    this is "clothified" prop hair but almost realtime, yeah my posing not the best
    still iClone like Octane loves transmaps so extra transmapped mesh animated or not is a good thing for hair and something I hope DT does for other hairs too