March 2015 New User Contest - Posing (WIP thread)

Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331

New User's Contest - March 2015

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and Elliandra

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Posing"

This month we will be focusing on Posing. For this contest we would like you to search the web for a pose you feel is dynamic and interesting and then use that reference as a guide as you try to replicate it within your app of choice to be used in any way you would like within your final entry. You will also be required to post your reference image (or a link to it) in addition to your entry if you enter this months contest. We will be posting example images as well as some ideas on terms to search and some other tips in the WIP THREAD.

If you are a new user, or if you consider yourself a beginner at posing, you are welcome to post your works in process (WIP) to this thread. I will be checking in on the WIP thread, as will the rest of the Community Volunteers, to provide feedback and try and help with anything you all may need so feel free to ask questions. Look in this thread (the WIP thread) for links on Posing. Once your image is finished, if you wish you may enter this month's New User Contest.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules.
To enter the contest, please post your completed image to the Entries Thread.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

How to Use Your Software:

in DAZ Studio
Great Art Now - Posing And Morphing [download] [YouTube]
How to Create and Pose Characters with DAZ 3D
Facial Poses in DAZ 4
Posing the Model in DAZ 4

in Poser
Artistic Posing in Poser - Very in Depth
Introduction to Posing in Poser
Poser Tutorial: Quick Posing

in Carrara
Carrara 3D Tutorial - Posing a Figure
Posing in Carrara
Posing Tips - Carrara Cafe

in Bryce
While it is not possible to pose things in Bryce, you are welcome to do your posing in another program such as DAZ Studio or Poser, then export and render in Bryce. For information on how to use the Bryce bridge to import a DS scene into Bryce: http://brycebasics.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-daz-studio-with-bryce.html

General Posing Information/Reference
(Please note some links are google search results so you may get some nudity depending on what your preference settings are for Google Images):

July 2012 New User Contest WIP Thread
Deviant Art Pose Emporium Great spot to find tons of great photo references for natural poses
Posing Reference for Artists Google Search Results
Classic Pinup Posing Google Search
Portrait Photo Basics
7 Posing Techniques for Non-Models

Examples of Posing:
July 2012 New User Contest entries thread
(More examples to be posted to this thread below)

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elliandra has graciously agreed to award:
1st place - Choice of 3 packs (with the exception of partnered packs)
2nd place - Choice of 2 packs (with the exception of partnered packs)
HM - Choice of 2 packs (with the exception of partnered packs)

Closing Date: March 31, 2015

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2015

Here's a render I did for this contest the last time it was held (back in 2012). It didn't win anything, but I'm still proud of it. :)

When posting your image to the WIP thread, please also post your reference image so that we can compare. If you wish to enter the contest, you will also need to post the reference image to the contest entry thread alongside your entry.

What I like about this image:
    - I worked hard on the pose and I think it turned out well
    - The lighting, but I can't take all the credit for it...mostly I have Lantios to thank for that
    - I created the mountain range by loading a few instances of the rock from Parkside Point Ground and adjusting translation and scaling values

Where I see room for improvement:
    - I wish I'd put more effort into the poses of the enemies
    - The render settings aren't high enough...that's why the depth of field looks rather grainy. If this happens to you, increase your x and y Pixel Samples to at least 8.
    - I always thought the sky backdrop matched my lighting really well, but now I think the sky should probably have been flipped horizontally, to keep the direction of the sunlight consistent

51C77YENTQL._SS500___.jpg
    500 x 500 - 55K
    highking3i.jpg
    618 x 800 - 246K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited March 2015

Here's a trick that should help you (quoting Szark's post from the previous contest):

Szark said:
    I was shown this sometime ago by a fellow Dreamlight member tugpsx_gfx. This works for Daz Studio only as far as I am aware.

Get yourself a cool picture of a pose. Here I grabbed one off Google and it is small about 300 x 200.

With Daz Studio open load a figure first and then go to Edit > Backdrop ( See image 1) I have found that loading Genesis after the backdrop the backdrop image gets removed.

This will open the Backdrop Options window (See image 2)

At the top where it says Image: None click on the word None and Browse to where your pose image is stored. (see image 3) Select your Image and click Open.

You should end up with something like Image 4. Looking though the camera the image stays in the same place and doesn’t move around when you move the camera. This is true for all the Orthographic cameras, front, back etc. Also the aspect ratio of your rendered image will have an impact on how much your reference image stretches. I used a Portrait aspect ratio which reduced the sideways stretch.

Line up your figure following Jaderail’s advice on page one, get the hip in place first and the rest should follow. You may have to zoom in or out to match the size of the figure in your reference image.

This is what I got after an hour of tweaking. (See Image 5) I did have to turn off limits to get the arms in the right place

Just remember to remove the Backdrop before rendering. :)

I suppose you could do this with a Plane in any software, applying your pose image to the plane.

Backdrop4.jpg
    800 x 805 - 183K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I have used this trick. I applied the image to a plane instead of loading in background.

I am really looking forward to this contest. Should be fun.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited March 2015

Don't know if I'll be using this, but I couldn't help but try to do a tribute to the late Mr. Spock.

Ether way I wanted to share what I was using as my reference somewhat.

spock-leornard-nimoy-star-trek-tos.jpg
    559 x 504 - 51K
    march2015spock1.jpg
    1194 x 895 - 281K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited March 2015

looking around for poses on the internet I came upon this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2477044/Giving-drag-racing-new-meaning-Male-staff-motorcycle-dealership-attempt-seductive-poses-hilarious-photo-spread.html

I have been laughing my head off, its hillarious. Unfotunately I don't have a motorcycle in my library or I would have picked one of those

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Hey there everyone!

Posting my first wip. I don´t know what I´m gonna use in the end but I will be trying different ideas. I recently watched a video of Madonna´s performance and there were 2 moments where she was in a position that looked really good to me. This is the first one.

Starring Lilith 6 as Madonna : ) : D

posewip.png
    1188 x 728 - 576K
    edited March 2015

Linwelly said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2477044/Giving-drag-racing-new-meaning-Male-staff-motorcycle-dealership-attempt-seductive-poses-hilarious-photo-spread.html

I have been laughing my head off, its hillarious. Unfotunately I don't have a motorcycle in my library or I would have picked one of those

They are funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Here are some options for motorcycles:

If you are a PC Member there is this one from DAZ for $1.99: http://www.daz3d.com/yamaki-fdr2-fusion

Or there is this freebie from ShareCG: http://www.sharecg.com/v/75425/browse/11/Poser/shukkys_WAKASAKI_ER_7

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

They are funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Here are some options for motorcycles:

If you a PC Member there is this one from DAZ for $1.99: http://www.daz3d.com/yamaki-fdr2-fusion

Or there is this freebie from ShareCG: http://www.sharecg.com/v/75425/browse/11/Poser/shukkys_WAKASAKI_ER_7

Wow thanks a lot, I downloaded the freebie. The bike looks nice and would do the job for the models.
    I got the bike imported but I don't seem to get the textures working. Never tried to get an obj. file working in DAZ up to now. Maybe I just put the colours and shaders on it myself.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited March 2015

Toyen said:
    Hey there everyone!

Posting my first wip. I don´t know what I´m gonna use in the end but I will be trying different ideas. I recently watched a video of Madonna´s performance and there were 2 moments where she was in a position that looked really good to me. This is the first one.

tilt the entire figure on z axis roll to get the pelvis angle right then work from that. Look at your ref photo, her pelvis and torso are leaning, she isn't bending at waist. This will also allow less "bend" on the left thigh to match her pose better.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Hey there Teofa and thanks for suggestion! Will give it a try : )

edited March 2015

very rough concept render. The female is overscale atm. I may abandon this for lack of male g2 morphs.

Frazetta with a twist.

roughwip.png
    530 x 700 - 379K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited March 2015

more done

frazprogg2.jpg
    1000 x 1321 - 117K
    frank_frazetta_afightingmanofmars.jpg
    876 x 1200 - 277K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Teofa said:
    more done

I like the twist you put on this Teofa.

edited March 2015

Teofa said:
    more done

I like you swapping their roles, and ther general poses and mood already is good
    I would try to give the Lady warrior a more male stance. In the moment she is pushing her breasts out or the shoulders back. It's kind of typical for what you see in RPG poster art but it's kind of bad pose to actually fight and her male counterpart in the original is not doing any of that sort.

Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    Don't know if I'll be using this, but I couldn't help but try to do a tribute to the late Mr. Spock.

Ether way I wanted to share what I was using as my reference somewhat.

Very nice start! I think Spock's fingers are more vertical in the photo; your character's fingertips seem to be leaning forward a little bit. The other details of the pose and expression are a little hard to make out due to the dim lighting.
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Hey there everyone!

Looking very nice, but I agree with Teofa that there are some differences in the angle of the hip. Once the hip is just right, it's easier to get everything else in the right place and looking natural. If the hip isn't quite right, the whole pose will probably look slightly "off."

Still, this is a wonderful start!

edited March 2015

Teofa said:
    more done

I love it, Teofa! Aesthetically it's quite nice already (lighting, composition, etc.), and I appreciate the subversive twist. :)

As far as the pose goes...I think the poses look very natural and pretty close to the reference. There are two areas in which they seem slightly different. The first is the standing character's shoulders and chest, as Linwelly pointed out. The other area is the kneeling character's stance (hips and legs). In your image, the man's hip is a little more elevated that the woman's hips in the reference, his right thigh is a little more vertical, and his right knee is a little more forward (the woman's seems rotated further to her left side). I'm not sure, but in order to match the reference more perfectly, you might need to elevate the man's left foot slightly, by putting a rock or something under it.

The other thing I noticed is that the figures seem slightly blurry...not sure if this was an intentional stylistic choice, but if not, you may need to adjust the Depth of Field settings (assuming you are using Depth of Field).

edited March 2015

Yes, I had her right collar all kinds of messed up. Thanks for noticing that. Huge mistake.

Re the pretty boy's pose, when I move to be more precise his calf disappears into his thigh. His pose is a compromise.

also frustrated with no "male voluptuous" morphs. hmmph.

Dunno about the blurring you see. DoF settings seem ok. Maybe messing around with progressive rendering? I post small jpegs as well.

For anyone wondering, the "hill" they are on is the floor prop from the genesis dragon tutorial, flipped over and rescaled.

dpf.jpg
    583 x 393 - 97K
    frazv2.jpg
    530 x 700 - 52K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Teofa said:
    Yes, I had her right collar all kinds of messed up. Thanks for noticing that. Huge mistake.

Re the pretty boy's pose, when I move to be more precise his calf disappears into his thigh. His pose is a compromise.

Dunno about the blurring you see. DoF settings seem ok. Maybe messing around with progressive rendering?

I believe there is something like "pear figure" that should be a possible morph on male genesis 2, maybe that can help give him the bellyfat

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Teofa said:

Dunno about the blurring you see. DoF settings seem ok. Maybe messing around with progressive rendering?

I believe there is something like "pear figure" that should be a possible morph on male genesis 2, maybe that can help give him the bellyfat

I have that for Gen, not Gen2. Stock comes with almost no morphs,or they aren't showing up. I would have used Gen but the skin I have is abysmal."jeremy", so I used G2.

edited December 1969

SickleYield's free G2M conversion of the DieTrying morphs might come in handy (available from ShareCG): http://www.sharecg.com/v/73186/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-Morphs-for-Genesis-2-Male

edited December 1969

Teofa said:

Dunno about the blurring you see. DoF settings seem ok. Maybe messing around with progressive rendering? I post small jpegs as well.

For anyone wondering, the "hill" they are on is the floor prop from the genesis dragon tutorial, flipped over and rescaled.

Perhaps it was due to Progressive Rendering...either that or you fixed it, as your latest one doesn't seem blurry at all.
    edited December 1969

SickleYield's free G2M conversion of the DieTrying morphs might come in handy (available from ShareCG): http://www.sharecg.com/v/73186/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-Morphs-for-Genesis-2-Male

DOH! Since I have those for Gen and G2 Female I feel kinda dumb. Thanks.

edited March 2015

I am not happy with the background and lighting. I may change them out so I can better match the original image.

The composition is off as well but I was trying to match the original image there as well.

tai-chi-01-fiss296.jpg
    431 x 370 - 18K
    Tai_Chi_Two_8.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited March 2015

Kismet. Get the pelvis first, then the rest. The pelvis angle is small, but has a big impact. Your photo girls hipbones are angled, your models are horizontal.

The subtle "offbalance" is what is telling my brain that the photo girl is in motion.

tai-chi-01-fiss296.jpg
    431 x 370 - 25K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited March 2015

Ok. If I learned anything from Shep Paine it was that slight imbalance in a static pose convinces the brain the object was caught in motion.

I hope no one minds, this is a simple illustration of "bending" vs "movement". the only change in the pose was the hip angle.

Our brain tells us the first image is "do-able" while still. The second image tells our brain things are wobbly.

The third image is still trying to tell us it is static and bending, since the body core is not offbalanced even though the legs have been moved to approximate the offbalance pose.

stillbending.jpg
    530 x 700 - 61K
    moving.jpg
    530 x 700 - 61K
    bending.jpg
    530 x 700 - 60K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

I certainly don't mind. I kept looking at it all morning and I could not put my finger on what was wrong. I tried to start with the hip/pelvis bones and work my way out. Really need to stop working on renders when tired. :)

edited December 1969

Made quite a few adjustments to the pose.

tai-chi-01-fiss296.jpg
    431 x 370 - 18K
    Tai_Chi_Two_12.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@ Kismet Nicer, more "free". I would consider the left collar.. was trying the pose in the mirror and noted I tended to roll the shoulder forward a bit and photo lady looks like she is too.

edited December 1969

Since I it upon the copyright problem last month, I thought I rather ask before I put something here.
    How do you handle this with the reference images? I do find It rather confusing. With most pictures it's never explicitly said that they have a copyright ore they are free, how do you handle that?
    My Motorcycle pinups do have a copyright within the picture, would that be ok to post?