REAL Hairy Military Mohawk WIP [Commercial]

MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
edited June 2015 in The Commons

Back by popular demand. Hoping for a February release.

REAL_Hairy_Military_Mohawk.png
685 x 621 - 434K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Umm... only two things come to mind:

1 ) Excellent hair. Looks like it'll work well with "stubble" headed textures

2 ) Umm... I know of NO military in the world that would allow this hair cut...

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

@2 must be the Hollywood Special Forces ;-)

I like that haircut, definitley looking forwards to it :)

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Great hair. Hopefully it will niot take to long for a release. Your character looks also great. Would like to buy this one too.

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited January 2015

Looks great! According to Wikipedia:
    "During World War II, many American GIs, notably paratroopers from the 101st Airborne Division wore mohawks to intimidate their enemies."

WWII.jpg
    1434 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

So long as there's a morph to eradicate that stylish 'forward combed' part, on the front, it could potentially pass for that look, yeah (otherwise, it'd be more relevant for nightclubs than combat operations, heh). I've managed to get Design Anvil's mohawk to pretty much do the same. If this includes the stubble, it could possibly look more realistic, though.

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

Valandar said:
    Umm... only two things come to mind:

1 ) Excellent hair. Looks like it'll work well with "stubble" headed textures

2 ) Umm... I know of NO military in the world that would allow this hair cut...

LOL. Yes, the length slider was set a bit too long for practical military applications. In my defense, Military Mohawk is considered a hairstyle outside of the military and open to interpretation. How's this?

REAL_Hairy_Military_Mohawk.png
    676 x 596 - 480K
    edited December 1969

So long as there's a morph to eradicate that stylish 'forward combed' part, on the front, it could potentially pass for that look, yeah (otherwise, it'd be more relevant for nightclubs than combat operations, heh). I've managed to get Design Anvil's mohawk to pretty much do the same. If this includes the stubble, it could possibly look more realistic, though.

Good point. Currently the whole center portion has the ability to point straight up (by request), but not just the front. I'll have to create few morphs for just the front.

REAL_Hairy_Military_Mohawk2.png
    1013 x 707 - 525K
    edited December 1969

Or get a bit savage.

REAL_Hairy_Military_Mohawk3.png
    733 x 621 - 555K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Looks good!

A thought for a future product, maybe: Sunday Morning Stubble (that look of a beard that hasn't been shaved since Friday--for the 9-to-5-- and can't decide yet if it's worth a shave for the back pew, or just needs more asprin and coffee for breakfast). The morning after the long weekend!

edited December 1969

Looks good!

A thought for a future product, maybe: Sunday Morning Stubble (that look of a beard that hasn't been shaved since Friday--for the 9-to-5-- and can't decide yet if it's worth a shave for the back pew, or just needs more asprin and coffee for breakfast). The morning after the long weekend!

A few people have asked me to apply this type of thing to beards. I ran into some problems with it failing to follow face morphs and things like simple smiles. It is something I would like to try again one day.

In the meantime, MEC4D's Unshaven Beard for Genesis is an awesome product with a zillion options.

http://www.daz3d.com/unshaven-beard-for-genesis

edited January 2015

Oh, very nice alternative options! It definitely has a more 'wirey' look than DA's mohawk. Not better or worse, of course, just different and each would have their uses in different situations (as with the Gothic Mohawks).

I'm guessing this is meant for G2M, but I could see it working just as well for G2F; especially for military characters. I'm using DA's set for a fandom render of the comic character, Venus Bluegenes, for example (theirs is designed for G2M, but using it on G2F apparently poses no problems).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V1AvgQwmdoY/TtD-ninbCVI/AAAAAAAAAEA/bv1g3obqeYQ/s1600/BlueWoman_0001.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VU47X6ECl9Y/Tsz4mxEv97I/AAAAAAAAADo/qGAPKy2cGkg/s1600/VenusGenes.jpg
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/8/80419/1459439-bluegenes1.jpg

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited January 2015

Oh, very nice alternative options! It definitely has a more 'wirey' look than DA's mohawk. Not better or worse, of course, just different and each would have their uses in different situations (as with the Gothic Mohawks).

I'm guessing this is meant for G2M, but I could see it working just as well for G2F; especially for military characters. I'm using DA's set for a fandom render of the comic character, Venus Bluegenes, for example (theirs is designed for G2M, but using it on G2F apparently poses no problems).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V1AvgQwmdoY/TtD-ninbCVI/AAAAAAAAAEA/bv1g3obqeYQ/s1600/BlueWoman_0001.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VU47X6ECl9Y/Tsz4mxEv97I/AAAAAAAAADo/qGAPKy2cGkg/s1600/VenusGenes.jpg
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/8/80419/1459439-bluegenes1.jpg

This was originally supposed to be an as-is hairstyle that looked like nothing more than the picture below. People started chiming in and requesting length and spike morphs, which to be honest, no longer makes it military in any way. Plus I feel doing so is kind of impeding on the DA and Gothic Mohawks, even though those products are extreme versions of the hairstyle.

I'll do more research and try to incorporate more military aspects. I'll probably shy away from incorporating extreme length. I'll leave that fun stuff to DA and Gothic.

REAL_Hairy_Military_Mohawk_(1).png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by MikeyFTL on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810
    edited December 1969

Valandar said:
    ... I know of NO military in the world that would allow this hair cut...

It seems that it's officially banned by the US military, at least. According to AR670-1:

Haircuts with a single, untapered patch of hair on the top of the head (not consistent with natural hair loss) are
    considered eccentric and are not authorized. Examples include, but are not limited to, when the head is shaved around a
    strip of hair down the center of the head (mohawk) ...

The high-and-tight hairstyle, which is a modified mohawk, is apparently still allowed. It would be interesting if this product contained morphs that allowed it to be turned into a high-and-tight, but that might be difficult to achieve.

edited December 1969

Now, that would make it especially useful, most definitely...

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

angusm said:
    Valandar said:

It seems that it's officially banned by the US military, at least. According to AR670-1:

Haircuts with a single, untapered patch of hair on the top of the head (not consistent with natural hair loss) are
    considered eccentric and are not authorized. Examples include, but are not limited to, when the head is shaved around a

The high-and-tight hairstyle, which is a modified mohawk, is apparently still allowed. It would be interesting if this product contained morphs that allowed it to be turned into a high-and-tight, but that might be difficult to achieve.

I'd jump on it quickly if the funds were there, if I could do modern military-cut styles with it. I wouldn't have pegged the "high-and-tight" as a modified mohawk, though.

At least it's not a little-boy FauxHawk, with a conservative buzz on either side of a garden hedge! :-/

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    Valandar said:

I don't see the difficulty in making the high and tight one as well. It's basically a round skull cap blended into the sides.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited January 2015

Why must anything have always a realistic background. If Army guys wear this hair cut or not ... who cares? I think, one can also use this kind of hair on fantasy characters like elfs, borred punks or whatever. I want this hair just for the fun and I hope that is okay.

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
    edited December 1969

Well, it largely doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. :) But like mediaeval costumes, it's useful to know if Product X would have been historically accurate or not, if you're an artist who is buying it specifically for that reason.

So, for military characters, if you're just wanting to depict one for the heck of it, you can pretty much have them wear anything in camo (including 'skimpwear'). But if you want to depict realism, then it's useful to know what would and wouldn't be relevant for real-world accuracy.

From the above, it looks like the creator has gained some useful insight and might be adjusting the prospective morphs, so that the users can use it 'as is' or go for hyper-realism. In my mind, that can only be a good thing. :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

I love the whole thing REGARDLESS of it's application, military or not. It's awesome. You should do a fit for Dusk over at Hivewire. In fact Dusk could use your Hairy pack!

edited December 1969

All input is good input. I originally marketed this as a military mohawk and again, I don't want to step on the feet of the people who already have created mohawks for Genesis. As always, I will strive to make sure everyone is happy with the end product.

edited February 2015

An improvement I hope.

REAL_Hairy_hi-tight2.jpg
    671 x 671 - 1M
    REAL_Hairy_hi-tight.jpg
    662 x 662 - 283K
    Post edited by MikeyFTL on
  • BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

I like the hairstyle... an I like even more that you're following up on wishes in this topic. awesome!

edited December 1969

Yeah, definitely more unique/desirable with these new changes. Certainly going on the list.

Will it be for both genders (or at least auto-fit)?

edited December 1969

Yeah, definitely more unique/desirable with these new changes. Certainly going on the list.

Will it be for both genders (or at least auto-fit)?

Shouldn't be too hard to fit to both genders.

edited December 1969

Added a little more to the sides for the high & tight look.

2.jpg
    681 x 681 - 784K
    1.jpg
    673 x 673 - 782K
    edited December 1969

The 'Scale' morph

3.jpg
    673 x 673 - 151K
    edited December 1969

The 'Frizz' morph