Carrara 9

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited January 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Being an eternal optimist, balanced by an unrelenting realist, I'm still trying to convince myself that Carrara isn't a dead end. Which it is... :)

But I'm still maintaining a wishlist in my head of things I'd love to see in a new version. And the realist in me doesn't expect much. Just some relatively minor work on Bullet cloth, and a couple of minor bug fixes, and a handful of minor features that are better viewed as "annoyance prevention". :)

Here's my list:

Bullet cloth:

1. Make Bullet cloth multi-processor aware

2. Provide global Bullet preferences where all objects in a scene can be selected initially to either collide or not collide

3. Fix Bullet cloth to collide with moving objects

4. Add “shrink fit” feature to cloth

5. Enable disconnected parameters, like Density

6. Add/enable a cloth “energy dissipation” (internal friction) parameter

Bug Fixes:

1. Fix the “soft selection” bug, where radius doesn’t match slider value

Mini-Features/Annoyance prevention:

1. Allow Carrara to open old files with different runtime path references

2. Allow users to make morphs on objects which don’t have existing morphs

3. Tweak the slider scales on stuff like texture bump; seems like you’re always operating down at 5-10%, and the rest of the scale is pretty useless. Allow a greater range of adjustment at the low end

4. Make it easier to change shader names, without going to the Sequencer

5. When you select an object and open the Model room, have the view rotate around the object’s hotpoint and not the world origin, even if no polys are selected

6. Filter non-zero morph/Parameters dials

7. Have simple indicators of “bad” (n-gon, non-planar, duplicate, etc.) polygons in an object

8. Allow users to easily change parameters, like Highlight, on a group of shaders at once, instead of manually going thru and changing one by one. Needed for cases like when Carrara brings in textures from different apps that have different Highlight parameters and you have to go thru and change all the Highlights values.

9. In Realistic Sky, when you change the position of the sun in the sky, have it immediately update the 3D view to show the sun angle, so you don’t have to do trial and error.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

By the way, if I was a programmer/developer/whatever, I'd have error messages like this:

"Dude, seriously, this object is an absolute mess. It has 38 n-gons, 126 non-planars, and 73 2-point polygons. And you're gonna run a cloth sim on it? No way. Fix it first, then give it a shot".

:)

That's what I want for Carrara 10

edited December 1969

And for Carrara 11, instead of "Fix it first, then give it a shot", it's "You want me to fix it for you? Hold on..." :)

edited December 1969

Wow, I forgot one very important Bullet feature they need to implement....a "cloth drape" feature that does a "before t=0" cloth drape, so you don't need to set up your scene to have a keyframed animation. It's needed for draping in static scenes when you don't want to worry about messing with keyframes. Just leave the scene and the time slider at t=0, and don't worry about mistakenly setting up keyframes and poses you don't want.

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited January 2015

“Dude, seriously, you want me to update Carrara for you?"

"Programmer Working. Please wait ..............................."

Eyesee(Jedi Tea Master - Ever the optimist! :-))

Post edited by eyesee on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

A Mayday button like Kindle Fire HD has... ;) Silene

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

You mean

“It's coming Real Soon Now ...............................”

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited January 2015

"Its almost ready for beta with select users ....(0)......"

Post edited by chickenman on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    You mean

“It's coming Real Soon Now ...............................”

DAZ Soon™

edited December 1969

4. Make it easier to change shader names, without going to the Sequencer.
    I'd love to be able to set the shader name in the Texture room. When you create a new master shader, that is the first thing that Carrara should ask. That or put a name/text field at the top of the shader window.

9. In Realistic Sky, when you change the position of the sun in the sky, have it immediately update the 3D view to show the sun angle, so you don’t have to do trial and error.

I must not be understanding what you mean. Are you talking about the preview in the editor, or the Assembly room view?

Also, just in case anyone doesn't know, if you have a sunlight or moonlight in your scene it is tied to the sun and/or moon position in the Realistic Sky Editor (RSE). Obviously you can adjust the position in the RSE, but you can also adjust the position in the assembly room by using the standard manipulators and it will update in the RSE. With the sunlight or moonlight selected in the Assembly room, you can see a wireframe representation of where the sun disk or moon disk is located in the "sky." The moon disk is represented by a crescent shape and the sun by a rayed circle shape.

Picture_3.png
    853 x 648 - 146K
    Picture_2.png
    846 x 616 - 64K
    Picture_1.png
    1190 x 748 - 121K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Also, just in case anyone doesn't know, if you have a sunlight or moonlight in your scene it is tied to the sun and/or moon position in the Realistic Sky Editor (RSE). Obviously you can adjust the position in the RSE, but you can also adjust the position in the assembly room by using the standard manipulators and it will update in the RSE. With the sunlight or moonlight selected in the Assembly room, you can see a wireframe representation of where the sun disk or moon disk is located in the "sky." The moon disk is represented by a crescent shape and the sun by a rayed circle shape.

I've seen people mention this before - is there some trick to getting it to show up in the Assembly Room? I can move the sun/moon into position in the RSE so it shows up in the render with a little trial and error, but there is no sun (or moon) outline in the pre-render scene like in your screenshot.

edited December 1969

Obviously you can adjust the position in the RSE, but you can also adjust the position in the assembly room by using the standard manipulators and it will update in the RSE. .

WHAT ??? How come nobody ever told me this ??? :) :)

Thanks Evil....probably the only item on my list that will ever get fixed... :) :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited December 1969

My wishlist is

, and make the duplicate with symmetry function more stable

Some of my lower priority wishes, but still wishes
    - support for Poser weightmapped figures
    - a better cow in the object browser

I already got one of my wishlist items. The duplicate with symmetry function works much better in the beta. The normals are no longer inconsistent.

Thank you, developers.

Now, if we could just get the millennium cow.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

I've seen people mention this before - is there some trick to getting it to show up in the Assembly Room? I can move the sun/moon into position in the RSE so it shows up in the render with a little trial and error, but there is no sun (or moon) outline in the pre-render scene like in your screenshot.

It has to be a sun light or moonlight and there needs to be a realistic sky in the scene. I don't know if the old skies work.

Also, the wireframe view can be a little flaky when it displays them. It can kind of flicker off and on as the light is rotated. The more stuff that is in the scene, the more twitchy it can get. The moon is worse than the sun. I did increase the preview quality in the Interactive Renderer and that helped. I also shut off the side of the working box that the sun was behind and Carrara (or OpenGL) drew it better.

The little handle with the black dot on the side of the sun wireframe can adjust the size of the sun's disk, and the black dot in the center can be used to position the light. Position your mouse cursor over the dots and a little cross-hair should appear. You can now click and drag to make your adjustments.

I can see the shapes if I use a production camera or the director's camera.

Picture_11.png
    466 x 241 - 47K
    Picture_8.png
    547 x 598 - 52K
    Picture_7.png
    504 x 577 - 32K
    Picture_5.png
    636 x 554 - 62K
    Picture_4.png
    437 x 242 - 9K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited January 2015

http://www.daz3d.com/taurette-for-genesis-2-female-hd

It has to be a sun light or moonlight and there needs to be a realistic sky in the scene. I don’t know if the old skies work.

...and it needs to be selected in the instances panel:)

Post edited by Roygee on
    edited December 1969

Obviously you can adjust the position in the RSE, but you can also adjust the position in the assembly room by using the standard manipulators and it will update in the RSE. .

WHAT ??? How come nobody ever told me this ??? :) :)

Thanks Evil....probably the only item on my list that will ever get fixed... :) :)

There was something someone pointed out not to long ago that I didn't know about myself. Now I just have to remember what it was... Probably something in the VM.

edited January 2015

Roygee said:

Ugh!

I'm from the Dairy State and even we have our limits! :-/

I know it's a fetish- er- fantasy creature, but for crying out loud, does the PA and DAZ understand mammalian biology in the least?!? You clearly have breasts (covered in fur which is somehow TOS compliant) which have, ya' know, mammary glands that produce milk, but then you have an udder, which ya' know, is also a repository of mammary glands that produce milk, which is kinda' freakin' redundant!

I would also point out that the lower mammaries are not covered in fur and are exposed! I imagine that the puritanical and hypocritical argument is that the top mammaries are sexual organs that could cause a pre-teen to have naughty thoughts, and the lower mammaries are sexual organs that will cause only adult fetishists to have naughty thoughts, while still giving the PA and broker a tidy profit.
    :shut:

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited January 2015

Roygee said:

LOL!

Edit: to say that the PA and Daz would have done much better to have consulted with our Midwestern forumists before undertaking the Cow-creature.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

It only shows while you have the sun/moon light selected in the scene (I wish I'd seen this thread *before* I spent hours last night faffing with the moon position.!)

As for my V9 wish: Have you spent ages setting up the shot, clicked Render and then come back two hours later to discover it's rendering the wrong camera? Grrr! I have at least a dozen camera presets in my scene and I've lost count of the times it's rendered something different! What I'd like is that if the active camera in the assembly room is different to the active camera in the render room, it should at least pop up a warning to remind you, and ideally offer to switch.

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited January 2015

Hi JoeMamma2000

Here’s my list:

Bullet cloth:

1. Make Bullet cloth multi-processor aware

In theory all they'd needed to do is recompile using the latest library. It still can't use GPU and CPU (see requirements) but if you've a powerful graphics card plugged in it should go a treat.

See https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet3 (scroll down a bit to first message)

Post edited by eyesee on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Ugh!

I’m from the Dairy State and even we have our limits! hmmm

I know it’s a fetish- er- fantasy creature, but for crying out loud, does the PA and DAZ understand mammalian biology in the least?!? You clearly have breasts (covered in fur which is somehow TOS compliant) which have, ya’ know, mammary glands that produce milk, but then you have an udder, which ya’ know, is also a repository of mammary glands that produce milk, which is kinda’ freakin’ redundant!

I would also point out that the lower mammaries are not covered in fur and are exposed! I imagine that the puritanical and hypocritical argument is that the top mammaries are sexual organs that could cause a pre-teen to have naughty thoughts, and the lower mammaries are sexual organs that will cause only adult fetishists to have naughty thoughts, while still giving the PA and broker a tidy profit.
    shut eye

Gives a whole new meaning to "Cowpoke" :) One man's perv is another man's profit ! ! !

edited January 2015

Roygee said:
    Ugh!

I’m from the Dairy State and even we have our limits! hmmm

I know it’s a fetish- er- fantasy creature, but for crying out loud, does the PA and DAZ understand mammalian biology in the least?!? You clearly have breasts (covered in fur which is somehow TOS compliant) which have, ya’ know, mammary glands that produce milk, but then you have an udder, which ya’ know, is also a repository of mammary glands that produce milk, which is kinda’ freakin’ redundant!

shut eye

Gives a whole new meaning to "Cowpoke" :) One man's perv is another man's profit ! ! !
    Good one! I think you win the internets today!

Unless you'd rather get into a teat-for-tat! ;-)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    ...and it needs to be selected in the instances panel:)

It only shows while you have the sun/moon light selected in the scene (I wish I'd seen this thread *before* I spent hours last night faffing with the moon position.!).

Thank you both - that was the missing piece, I wasn't selecting the sun light. Once I did that the outlines appeared! :)

Mark

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,140
    edited December 1969

Another simple addition that I have requested for years is an on/off switch for SSS. You can turn off all sorts of things in the renderer - shadows, bump, etc - but the ability to turn off SSS while doing test renders and then turn it on again for your final render would be a great time saver. There is even space for it on the interface...

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Another simple addition that I have requested for years is an on/off switch for SSS. You can turn off all sorts of things in the renderer - shadows, bump, etc - but the ability to turn off SSS while doing test renders and then turn it on again for your final render would be a great time saver. There is even space for it on the interface...

I've caught myself wishing for that a few times myself.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

You know what's crazy is that when I don't render with full GI the SSS calculations are so fast they don't even have time to appear on my screen. I only realized this very recently, as I do a lot of skylight and full GI rendering. And it's really crazy because GI and the diffuse light sources don't really do have that much effect on SSS anyway, so maybe a nice feature would be able to click a checkbox that SSS is not calculated from skylight/GI but from primary light sources only. You'd get nearly all the benefits of SSS without the drawbacks of the calculation time.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

Ugh!

Darn it, I wish I hadn't clicked on that link...makes me want to vomit.

Seriously, if that doesn't border on beastiality I don't know what does. I'm not one who is easily offended, but advertising stuff like that which clearly implies a sexual aspect to animals is offensive and disgusting. Someone should be ashamed.

edited January 2015

Roygee said:

Ugh!

Seriously, if that doesn't border on beastiality I don't know what does. I'm not one who is easily offended, but advertising stuff like that which clearly implies a sexual aspect to animals is offensive and disgusting. Someone should be ashamed.

I wish I could take back my click as well.

I never could figure out the whole furry attraction thing....

Then again, maybe those folks could tell us which came first... ;-)

Chicken-final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 470K
  • StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

Ugh!

I wish I could take back my click as well.

I never could figure out the whole furry attraction thing....

Then again, maybe those folks could tell us which came first... ;-)

so, good. just, just, just...epic.

edited January 2015

Oh, and one more super simple "feature" to implement, but it has been driving me crazy for a very long time....

Y'know how when you load a V4 for example into the scene, it shows up with ALL of the morph thingies in the instances panel...drives me nuts. You never need them, but it makes it so tedious to search for stuff in the heirarchy.

Yeah, I know there's a way to load the character and not show those, but for those existing characters there's no way to select not to see them.

I'd LOVE it if DAZ could have a simple check box to make them visible/invisible in the instances. Please.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on