[SOLVED] Create morphs in Blender for DAZ

greg017greg017 Posts: 11
edited January 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi
Sorry this is in the wrong forum if some one can put it where it is supposed to be I would be greatfull
I am having one of those days.

I would like to do complex morphs in Blender for DAZ.
I have tried to research this for ages.

I must be an idiot or something
I tried to keep it really simple to start off with
Blender 2.72
Daz 4.7

I followed a seemingly simple tutorial
I loaded gen2 female
set subdiv to 0
exported OBJ from DAZ
100%
no change on Y Z axis
imported to blender ok

made minor mod
exported OBJ from blender with
selection only
Apply modifiers
polygroups
keep vertex order
Objects as OBJ Objects

I tried write normals
then from Morph loader Pro
I get
Warning: Geometry did not match, failed to create morph.

is there a tutorial out there that works
or what thing am I missing

Thanks
Greg

Post edited by greg017 on

Comments

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited January 2015

That procedure looks fine to me, except that you have to be careful about having apply modifiers checked in case you used one temporarily that will change the geometry (for example, I always add a subsurf modifier on to work on Genesis figures so that I can see accurately what the final effect will be, but of course, the morph won't load if subsurf is actually applied).

Did you change both the import and export parameters in Blender? On import you need to have Keep Vert Order selected (blue) and Polygroups checked. The other settings don't need to change, unless you have changed the YXZ order on export from DS (the Blender setting in DS will do this and it's not helpful. I use the Lightwave preset as it matches Blender metrics.)

I get this error message most often when I've exported the figure but didn't notice that there was another visible object in the scene (usually a mesh light!) that was exported along with it. Another thing that sometimes seems to cause it is after using sculpt. I don't know why that is, because using sculpt shouldn't change the vert order or anything and it's usually fine. It might have been something else I did on those occasions, but it's worth taking note.

I've attached an image of my export settings. I don't know if all those I've checked are necessary, but they don't seem to do any harm. Note that you don't need to have Write Materials for morphs, but I have that checked for general use.

Once you have parameter sets that work, save them as an Operator Presets by pressing the + button and giving it a name, such as "daz".

blender_exp.jpg
    231 x 572 - 25K
    Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

When you export G2F, change the Mesh Resolution to 'Base', there is no need to alter the sub-div level as far as I know.

There must be a difference in the vertex count in your process, you cannot add or remove vertices when creating your morph.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

When you export G2F, change the Mesh Resolution to 'Base', there is no need to alter the sub-div level as far as I know.

There must be a difference in the vertex count in your process, you cannot add or remove vertices when creating your morph.

Yes, that's definitely the best way, and that's what I always do, although setting subd to 0 should still be OK shouldn't it?
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,711
    edited December 1969

Moved to DAZ Studio Discussion since it's more a technical than an artistic issue.

• greg017greg017 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Thanks heaps
    I will break this down to the absolute minimum that works, then post it here.
    It seems to be pretty hard to find simple instructions for this sort of stuff.

I was very careful not to change the mesh,
    but for people unfamiliar with Blender they may accidentally check the Dynotopo button in sculpt which will change the mesh when your in sculpt mode.

Thanks heaps Richard I couldn't change it once I posted it.

Ok I'm of to play with the import export settings.

This is probably why my dae files are getting so badly screwed (another topic)
    when coming from Blender to Daz

Thanks again

• greg017greg017 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Yay that worked
    I haven't got it down to the absolute minimum but this works for simple morphs
    Simple settings in Blender
    Import just needs
    Keep Vert Order with Poly groups checked

Export from Blender
    Selection Only (make sure you only have your object selected first though)
    Include edges (may not be necessary)
    Polygroups
    Objects as OBJ objects
    Keep Vertex

That is enough to get started.
    More complex ones may need more checked,
    and this may not be the complete minimum.

Thanks heaps
    Greg