Can a object

Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

How can an object lighting itself, so that it casts shadows ?

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Do you mean like this? (see picture below)

First delete all light from your scene and do a test render to make sure that all you get is solid black.
    Then make sure your global ambient is set to fully white (that's the little colour bar underneath the Shadow Intensity icon in the Sky&Fog; tab)

You're then ready to create the object which is going to be a light (in this case a simple sphere but it can be anything).
    Set the material on the sphere to be Diffusion fully white and Ambient fully white and then in the material options, turn off Cast Shadows (yes this seems a bit counter intuitive but it is the light source which will cast the shadows not the object).

Then create a radial light inside the object and because the object is set to not cast shadows, the light will pass through the object without needing to make it transparent and make it look like the object itself is emitting the light.

Hope this helps.

LightSphere.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 172K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

and then in the material options, turn off Cast Shadows (yes this seems a bit counter intuitive but it is the light source which will cast the shadows not the object).

Yes this help a little bit, but i dont understand what you said above. How can i do this: turn off

Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

1. In the Material Lab, click the little triangle icon to reveal the drop down menu.
    2. Click your selection so it doesn't have a tick.

Picture-7.jpg
    791 x 598 - 149K
    edited December 1969

Oh, thank you very much, now i understand.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - Another way is rendering with TA and boost light. The sphere has some pinkish ambient, ambience is controlled by a hyper texture. There is no light source in the scene. David recorded a video how to create a hyper texture and several other lighting strategies for true ambience. For many of them I have Memos (1 page PDF that compiles the video in a very condensed form) on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Memos > Materials > Hyper Texture.

TA4.jpg
    600 x 400 - 29K
    TA3.jpg
    663 x 346 - 44K
    TA2.jpg
    636 x 503 - 49K
    TA1.jpg
    602 x 402 - 28K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Being able to do things in several ways is always nice.

edited September 2014

Thank you all for the valuable explanations. I have tried this from TheSavage64, but I have see no shadows.

@Horo

Thank you. I have download the PDF to a USB stick in a internet cafe. I have now for about a week, no own internet and i can not upload my images.

edited September 2014

@TheSavage64

Now i have shadows. I must select the option soft shadows in render settings. Its fantastic.

@ Horo

I tried your suggestion, but it is currently too difficult for me. I have not get a reasonable result.

edited December 1969

Glad you got it working Roland. :-)

• ueanyueany Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

Interesting discussion here. I already wondered how to set up self-illuminating objects in Bryce (objects from any shape that emit light).
    I guess it's not directly possible so we have to fake it.
    With enough point lights it's possible to light up every object, for example tube or neon lights.
    Settings in both images: very quick render (few minutes), no TA, soft shadows for the lights
    You can also give those lights volume to make the illuminating object glowing a bit which would be even more realistic.

br-image2.jpg
    666 x 1000 - 153K
    br-image1.jpg
    666 x 1000 - 105K
    Post edited by ueany on
    edited December 1969

The image with the font I like it.

• ueanyueany Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Roland.