Mountain Lion and DAZ Studio?

enigma53enigma53 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I realize Mountain Lion was just released today, but curious to see if anyone has installed DAZ Studio 4.0 or 4.5 on it and if so, does it work?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Umm.. What mountain lion? Which site?

• enigma53enigma53 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mountain Lion is Apple's newest operating system release.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I'm testing that today. :) I'll let you know.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth here's the list of Macs That Support Mountain Lion

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

Apparently Apple has dropped support for a considerable portion of Intel machines
    There are 3rd party hacks to attempt a work around for those systems but seriously: you buy a system in 2009 and you can't upgrade it?

edited December 1969

They dropped support for non-64 bit machines period. I wish Microsoft would do that and clean up their code base. ;)

edited December 1969

So far so good under ML. I'm running the 4.5 beta though. Factor that in. The main issue I had when trying to install was that the Operating System blocked the install. I had to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and change "Allow applications downloaded from: " from "Mac App store and identified developers" to "Anywhere". Otherwise so far so good on my 2011 Macbook Air.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

There was a comment on one of the mac forums about if you spend $3K - $4K on a MacPro three years ago you didn't buy it to update your facebook status. Production systems are an long-term investment, especially for corporations. In the past was able to justify pushing a large monetary investment to a company for handful of systems that were supposed to have a production life of more than 3-4 years. While I love code that runs like it's supposed to I don't think Apple made this decision this for OS stability. Microsoft couldn't do this because so many developers can operate outside their circle, when Balmer cried "upgrade (to Vista) or die!" no cage was rattled and I'm still seeing new systems deployed running XP in 2012. Apple is far more heavy handed when it comes to that. 10.7 development wont come to a crashing halt but fewer and fewer "legacy" Intel supported titles will ultimately be the result, especially with major enterprise titles: namely mac versionsof MSOutlook, MSOffice, and Adobe Creative Suite.
    Hopefully I'm wrong but in the mean time the department of Mac Pro's I support are viable candidates for Windows 8 now.

I'm not trying to sidetrack the post, so I'll just say with the decision by Apple to take a fair number of Intel macs off the playing field will Daz develop for 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 or put all their eggs in one 10.8 basket going forward (do lions even lay eggs?), if so how many Mac based studio/hex/bryce users are eligible for this upgrade and how many plan to do it? Granted, the upgrade could not be cheaper, it's 1/10th of what Microsoft is asking for but Apple has a very different business model and can do things like that because of it.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited December 1969

Last night, I tried out Daz studio 4.5, PoserPro 2012 and Carrara.... all worked fine.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

nemesis10 said:
    Last night, I tried out Daz studio 4.5, PoserPro 2012 and Carrara.... all worked fine.

Which version of Carrara?

Kendall

• rogerbenrogerben Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

After a quick test render, I'm not seeing any obvious problems with DS4Pro on 10.8. I'm seeing a lot of drive churning in the immediate aftermath of the update, but I suspect that's just Spotlight indexing or something.