HOPEFULLY SOLVED: Really need help - crucial data files disappeared

michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
edited July 2012 in The Commons

Daz Studio 4.0.3.47
Windows Vista, 32 bit

My computer started shutting down on its own a few days ago, so I finally sorted it, but had to uninstall DAZ Studio and a number of other programs to make sure the error was sorted. Anyway, before I uninstalled I tried copying my Library files from my PC onto a DVD. The pc crashed and I have lost data files in the 4_0_2 folder relating to Genesis. I keep getting error messages for my DAZ files when I try to load them, and Genesis is absent completely from my pre-saved scenes. I tried a System Restore, but with it being Visa it didn't recover any folders/files, only a couple of programs. (our family pc with XP recovered files just fine last month)
Is there any way I can get these data/ 4_0_2 files back? My saved characters look really odd when I load their presets, rather than opening the scene I saved them in. I've included a screen shot showing the huge gap of files missing in the 4_0_2 folder (goes from B to GSuit, missing out all inbetween), and a section of the file log for a scene I tried to open.
If I create a new character for Genesis will the 4_0_2 files be re-created? Also, I'm not sure if I have the default content folder in the same place as when i originally installed Daz, but can't work out where else I could have installed it.

Just a selection from the log - all of the files apart from two are in the 4_0_2/Genesis folders
*** Scene Cleared ***
Opening file Mages_Dorian.daz...
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/geometry/geometry_cfbc9312_60e9_8e42_096f_838681a1c741/geometry.dso
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/BulgeRight_121.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/BulgeLeft_138.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/BulgeCenter_116.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/ManlyMenHead05_19293.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/ManlyMenHead04_19296.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/ManlyMenHead03_19293.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/ManlyMenHead02_19293.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morphs/ManlyMenHead01_19291.dsd
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/morp

Capture01.JPG
991 x 890 - 219K
Post edited by michellecelebrielle on

Comments

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

It's likely that you will need to reinstall the missing files from their original installers, and that may not fix the issue in your saved scenes for instances where Studio imports a poser file into the data folders as ISTR they aren't guaranteed to have precisely the same folder name. That shouldn't affect the Genesis and other Studio-native files, but they still need reinstalling. I can tell from the file names that one of the things it is looking for is Manly Men, but it looks likely you'll have to reinstall every Genesis character and morph you own.

If you have problems like this again, you don't need to delete your Studio content - it's data only and doesn't affect the way your computer operates, and I'd be very surprised if you needed to delete Studio itself. It also demonstrates why it's a good idea to keep a complete back--up of your content folders, with external disk drives being the ideal way of keeping a copy.

Post edited by DWG on
  • michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    It's likely that you will need to reinstall the missing files from their original installers, and that may not fix the issue in your saved scenes for instances where Studio imports a poser file into the data folders as ISTR they aren't guaranteed to have precisely the same folder name. That shouldn't affect the Genesis and other Studio-native files, but they still need reinstalling. I can tell from the file names that one of the things it is looking for is Manly Men, but it looks likely you'll have to reinstall every Genesis character and morph you own.

If you have problems like this again, you don't need to delete your Studio content - it's data only and doesn't affect the way your computer operates, and I'd be very surprised if you needed to delete Studio itself. It also demonstrates why it's a good idea to keep a complete back--up of your content folders, with external disk drives being the ideal way of keeping a copy.

Thanks, I have just started re-installing some of the items again. I also did a quick search online and have found out that some of the 4_0_2 files can be recreated by making a new scene with the items whose data I need. I'm currently working my way through it to test it out.
    The reason I removed Daz was that I kept getting errors and thought if I gave it a clean start it might work better. I usually backup all my stuff, and have another couple of content folders for Daz, but unfortunately I didn't think to backup the data files actually on my pc. I suppose, if nothing else, I've learned the hard way how important it is to make sure you back up EVERYTHING to do with Daz.

• michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited July 2012

I am still getting an error message and Genesis won't appear in pre-saved scenes. At the moment the main thing the log file is picking up on is:

Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/geometry/geometry_cfbc9312_60e9_8e42_096f_838681a1c741/geometry.dso

Can anyone tell me what this may be related to so I can try and recreate it?

EDIT: I managed to find out what this was; I loaded and saved some older presets I had for this particular file and i now have the relevant 4_0_2 file. Hopefully if I keep doing test scenes with old presets I will get all the files I need. The file I put up the screenshot of now works fine and with no problems. Fingers crossed it works for the others.

Thank you DWG for your suggestions

Post edited by michellecelebrielle on