DAZ not shutting down properly. (solved this time, I think)

berriboyberriboy Posts: 172

I came upon this yesterday when I went to set the affinity of my processor so I could do other things while rendering without slowing things down to much. Yesterday I had eight instances of DAZ open, so I ended the processes that weren't being used.

I checked today and the same thing is happening. I am wondering if this is a known problem with Daz 4.6, I am running Windows 8.1 but pretty sure that isn't the problem as it doesn't happen to any other program. Also wondering if it might be the cause of crashes I have occasionally for no apparent reason.

TaskMgr.jpg
872 x 599 - 443K
Post edited by berriboy on

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Did you give DS a minute or two to close? It doesn't always shut down immediately, although the window has gone away, it might still be doing other shutdown stuff in the background for a short bit before it really closes. Or are these processes continuing to run for WAY longer than that?

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

I did. When I noticed that there were eight open I had not turned off the computer for a couple of days and had run daz quite a few times.

edited December 1969

Update.

No longer think it is a problem with Daz, just had a look and the same thing is happening with Chrome. Will have to search some Windows forums and find out what gives.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited August 2014

uh chrome like a lot of browser create one process per tab opened by default, so no links there I bet.

I know I'll sound 'IT Crowd' but did you tried after a reboot ? Maybe a trouble with a memory leak.

Post edited by sioc on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I notice you have nVidia programs running, which makes me wonder - do you have the Octane for Daz Studio plug-in? I have had a few occurrences of DS failing to shut which I put down to the plug-in.

edited August 2014

sioc said:
    uh chrome like a lot of browser create one process per tab opened by default, so no links there I bet.

I know I'll sound 'IT Crowd' but did you tried after a reboot ? Maybe a trouble with a memory leak.
    Thanks for the info sioc, I shut down chrome and all its processes stopped immediately, thought it was doing the same 'cause firefox only had one process running. I only use chrome for youtube as it never has the buffering issues that happen regularly in firefox.

I have tried rebooting and even from a cold start the problem comes back.

I notice you have nVidia programs running, which makes me wonder - do you have the Octane for Daz Studio plug-in? I have had a few occurrences of DS failing to shut which I put down to the plug-in.

Hi Simon, I do have the OcDS plugin installed. I really don't need it at the moment as I have just upgraded to Octane 2 and only use the stand alone version. I will try uninstalling it and see what happens. I think I just have to take the files out of Dazs plugin folder. Will let you know what happens.

EDIT
    You're a gem Simon, removed Octane from the plugins folder, rebooted, open and closed daz a few times loading different scenes and some test renders. Every time the Daz process stopped straight away. Wonder if this has been raised on the Octane forum, will take a look.

Post edited by berriboy on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Glad you got it fixed.