List Your Carrara Issues Here

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823
    edited July 2014

that depends how many are using C8.5
    I only do if it needs to use FBX import or genesis .duf content as too unnecessarily unstable otherwise
    I feel more confident with C8.1

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited July 2014

Okay seeing as some people misunderstood I have updated the first post in this thread to help clear things up, but I will post the same here

THIS THREAD IS TO LIST ANY ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH ANY VERSION OF CARRARA YOU USE.

Now I don't think I can make it any clearer than that

Post edited by IamArtistX on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

At the risk of sounding like someone else (Dartanbeck), I LOVE Carrara.

Well maybe love is too strong of a word, after all, it's software we're talking about. I use Carrara as a hobby, entertainment, education, ... and it's fun to play with.

My issue with C8.5, if you can call it an "issue", is the fact that is exists. Don't get me wrong, I play with C8.5 on a daily basis, trying this and that. I get the impression that Daz caved in to the pressure from a very vocal community for an update of any sort for Carrara. The thing to remember is that C8.5 is BETA software and things aren't supposed to work perfectly. But, it works quite well for all the things that I want to play around with. Yes, I run into things that don't quite work as expected, weght painting comes to mind. I find myself reverting back to the production build of C8.1. Rigging in general I find quite inadequate in any version of Carrara. The vertex modeller hangs up consistantly in C8.5, so again, I revert back to the production build. One just needs to read the forums to get a list of all the things that a lacking in C8.5.

As Wendy says,"I only do if it needs yo use FBX import or genesis .duf content as too unnecessarily unstable otherwise
    I feel more confident with C8.1"

Then there is Genesis, and Genesis 2 M&F, and I belive the root of the problem. Daz's insistance on making Carrara Genesis friendly is a mistake in my opinion, maybe not so much as a 'mistake', but definitely premature. Daz should have focused on making Carrara 'User Friendly' insted of Genesis friendly. Having said that, I think Genesis and all its incarnations is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I think it's an awesome piece of work, and now that the genie is out of the bottle, the 'Community' rears its sometimes nasty head, putting more pressure on Daz to "make it work".

Just speaking for myself, I wish the Genesis platform whould back out of Carrara. Carrara was great without Genesis, and it can still be great, if Daz can update the "core" of Carrara to be more functional or modernize some of the other features of the software, such as the modeller, UV editor, animation tools, cloth and hair, etc...
    There are so many good things in this amazing software, and when C9 comes out, (and I'm confident that is will "Soon"), I'll be in the first in line to get it.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

I would very much appreciate if the sequencer part were designed bigger
    an overall scaling option for the UI would be great

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2014

ProPose said:
    At the risk of sounding like someone else (Dartanbeck), I LOVE Carrara.

Well maybe love is too strong of a word, after all, it's software we're talking about. I use Carrara as a hobby, entertainment, education, ... and it's fun to play with.

My issue with C8.5, if you can call it an "issue", is the fact that is exists. Don't get me wrong, I play with C8.5 on a daily basis, trying this and that. I get the impression that Daz caved in to the pressure from a very vocal community for an update of any sort for Carrara. The thing to remember is that C8.5 is BETA software and things aren't supposed to work perfectly. But, it works quite well for all the things that I want to play around with. Yes, I run into things that don't quite work as expected, weght painting comes to mind. I find myself reverting back to the production build of C8.1. Rigging in general I find quite inadequate in any version of Carrara. The vertex modeller hangs up consistantly in C8.5, so again, I revert back to the production build. One just needs to read the forums to get a list of all the things that a lacking in C8.5.

As Wendy says,"I only do if it needs yo use FBX import or genesis .duf content as too unnecessarily unstable otherwise
    I feel more confident with C8.1"

Then there is Genesis, and Genesis 2 M&F, and I belive the root of the problem. Daz's insistance on making Carrara Genesis friendly is a mistake in my opinion, maybe not so much as a 'mistake', but definitely premature. Daz should have focused on making Carrara 'User Friendly' insted of Genesis friendly. Having said that, I think Genesis and all its incarnations is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I think it's an awesome piece of work, and now that the genie is out of the bottle, the 'Community' rears its sometimes nasty head, putting more pressure on Daz to "make it work".

Just speaking for myself, I wish the Genesis platform whould back out of Carrara. Carrara was great without Genesis, and it can still be great, if Daz can update the "core" of Carrara to be more functional or modernize some of the other features of the software, such as the modeller, UV editor, animation tools, cloth and hair, etc...
    There are so many good things in this amazing software, and when C9 comes out, (and I'm confident that is will "Soon"), I'll be in the first in line to get it.

I love Carrara as well. However, if DAZ sells C8.5, it is no longer a beta and they should support it and fix major bugs right away, and work on minor bug fixes for the next iteration.

With that in mind, to me, a major bug that should be fixed immediately is the network render node bug. As a Carrara Pro user, it is one of the reasons I bought the Pro version. I use C7.2 Pro, so until it is demonstrably fixed, I see no reason to "upgrade" to C8.5.

I would consider Genesis 2 support a minor bug that can wait for C9 because it was stated from the get-go that it wasn't fully supported. That being said, DAZ needs to get it's ass in gear and deliver on C9.

And IamArtistX, I don't think we need to be scolded for not responding to your thread. What may be a major beef for you, may be nothing to someone else.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I would consider Genesis 2 support a minor bug that can wait for C9 because it was stated from the get-go that it wasn't fully supported. That being said, DAZ needs to get it's ass in gear and deliver on C9.

Genesis doesnt work properly in C8.5 and that was one of its selling points, and when you use Genesis and it crashes the whole program to the desktop I would certainly count that as a major bug

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I am seeing lately things I haven't in Carrara. One, is for no discernible reason, some Carrara files recently created won't open, get an error. Have had issues where there is just too much data in the file to render, and it shuts down when I use global illumination. I am on 8.5. Not sure if others have seen this.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

I am seeing lately things I haven't in Carrara. One, is for no discernible reason, some Carrara files recently created won't open, get an error. Have had issues where there is just too much data in the file to render, and it shuts down when I use global illumination. I am on 8.5. Not sure if others have seen this.

I ran into this one time with 8.5, it was a large scene - saved with compression on (took a LONG. LONG time to save). I have since tried to remember to turn compression off when I save, and haven't run into the issue again (which may just be luck).
  • chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited July 2014

Hi this is Bobeagle77, I will tell you in all honesty what my issue is with Carrara Pro 8.5 .Of course this is my rookie opinion. I am new Carrara user and I can see that its pretty powerful( renders are lightning fast and beautiful) but it feels ancient compare to Daz interface look, accessibility. Carrara feels very complicated and clunky. Daz Studios is way easier to pose and I can make animation faster here. Also while playing a animation in Daz Studios it looks really good and you can even move the camera around while the animation is running. I will keep my
    Carrara Pro 8.5 in hopes that Daz makes Carrara Pro 9.0 more like Daz Studios 4.5 but with all the fancy goodies that Carrara has. I promise you that if Daz makes Carrara more user friendly. It will sell like pancake for a price range of $199-$299 range. I want Daz Studios to succeed and be in business for a very long time. I love Daz Studios products and have my own fun making art and animations.

I agree the posing tools in Carrara need updating. It's much easier to set up s scene and and pose with DS. Tools like PowerPose, universal manipulator with the posing ball in the middle, etc. One can create animation much quicker in DS, but without the richness of the animation features and faster rendering engine of Carrara.

Carrara's IK is much more powerful, but is downright arcane and more complicated to use. It should be simplified perhaps using pins like DS etc.

BTW - has anybody ever gotten the storyboard to work smoothly? It's a good idea but It pretty much locks up my system when I use it.

Post edited by chorse on
  • Bobeagle77Bobeagle77 Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

I agree the posing tools in Carrara need updating. It's much easier to set up s scene and and pose with DS. Tools like PowerPose, universal manipulator with the posing ball in the middle, etc. One can create animation much quicker in DS, but without the richness of the animation features and faster rendering engine of Carrara.

Carrara's IK is much more powerful, but is downright arcane and more complicated to use. It should be simplified perhaps using pins like DS etc.

BTW - has anybody ever gotten the storyboard to work smoothly? It's a good idea but It pretty much locks up my system when I use it.

Agree +1

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the thread and the "stickiness" of it.

1. Genesis needs to work properly. Right out of the box.

2. Autofit needs to work properly and consistently.

3. DUF files need to be able to be used properly. Right out of the box.

Thanks.

P.S. I love Carrara. It is my 3D software of choice. I'm using it as a professional and software MUST work properly and consistently.
    Fix these issues because there are plenty of items I would like to get from Daz and other great vendors.

Can't wait to get Olympia 6 working in Carrara.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

As a hobbyist I expect all Genesis to work properly along with autofit as tsarist says..

I also expect the basic items from the DAZ store to work but lately there is more and more products being released that just don't work in Carrara

I have Poser and don't use it
    I have DS and don't use it

Carrara is my choice for what I do and I also love it... but boy it gets annoying when more & more stuff just don't work.

Hopefully V9 will fix these issues when it eventually gets released.

edited December 1969

could a Mod, inform someone at Daz about this thread please, so that we might get some information from them about Carrara's future, should it have one.

As I said lack of information from Daz could easily be solved, is it that much or hard to ask that Daz acknowledge the issues we have raised, and what is happening with Carrara

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

could a Mod, inform someone at Daz about this thread please, so that we might get some information from them about Carrara's future, should it have one.

As I said lack of information from Daz could easily be solved, is it that much or hard to ask that Daz acknowledge the issues we have raised, and what is happening with Carrara

Did you miss this post http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43623/P15/#642203

edited July 2014

And has that person said anything in this thread, NO! not even a post to say they are aware of it and are taking our concerns seriously, no feedback from Daz, would take 30 secs to post something.

Just because some is aware doesnt really mean much, interaction is what we require, and yes I am being pushy, as nothing seems to happen otherwise, and I am a dog with a bone, I'm not going to let go :D

Post edited by IamArtistX on
  • TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

This one might almost be stretching the "no discussion" guideline, but no. Technically, it is an issue I have with Daz and Carrara, and additionally, it's more easily remedied by Daz's staff than any bug or glitch within the program, and they don't need to do anything with Carrara's source code (although they really should).

Why doesn't Daz3D even acknowledge Carrara?

Check out the front page. Open it in a browser on a 1920x1200 screen. Go ahead, stretch it out. Get comfortable with it. Now look for mentions of Carrara. Yes, there are exactly two, one in the Shop menu and one at the very bottom of the page, same as Bryce and Hexagon get. Together those six items take up <0.05% of the screen real estate.</p>

Daz does not treat Carrara like a flagship modeler and render. Daz doesn't even treat Carrara like a red-headed stepchild. One gets the feeling from the front page, at the copious, effluent praise gushing over Daz Studio (and I stand by that choice of words) and the two tiny mentions of Carrara, that Daz would like nothing better than to treat Carrara like Fortunado in The Cask of Amontillado.

Check out Daz's YouTube channel. You can find plenty of tutorials about Daz Studio, and plenty of videos demonstrating the content that works with Daz Studio. Search for mentions of Carrara, and you're more likely to find videos about the Italian marble for which it's named, even if you restrict the search to Daz's channel. Especially then.

How is anyone else supposed to have any confidence in the product if Daz doesn't? How can Daz claim it supports Carrara when the lion's share of marketing goes to Daz Studio and Daz's line of figures while Carrara's marketing budget could starve a wren? And how can Daz claim that the decision to spend research and development on Daz Studio over Carrara is justifiable given how much more frequently the free product is downloaded over the one that costs money and can barely be found on the company's own front page? Probably not with a straight face.

Yes, you can claim that those figures work with Carrara. Except that'd be a stretch, because Daz doesn't claim that. It claims they're compatible with Genesis. Are the Genesis figures compatible with Carrara? That's a bit of a stretch too, because to do anything with them beyond dressing and posing them you need (and this is a mind-blower) Daz Studio! And haven't there been reports of Genesis being broken in Carrara 8.5? In this very thread?

I know, this is not a discussion thread. Fortunately this is not discussion. This is my perception of some of the biggest issues to threaten Carrara. And they're not even within Carrara itself.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Minor issues, but they bug me nonetheless (and it's the small things that really seem to get under your skin...)

Save As does not remember the last location you saved to. Which is a royal PITA when you're saving out multiple templates for UV maps, incremental project saves etc. And while we're on the subject, a proper "Incremental Save" feature would be good too - so it automatically saves MyProject.1.car MyProject.2.car etc. I like having the ability to roll back, and with Carrara's current flakiness in the Save department, I'm always scared of losing the day's work if I save over and it screws up.

If work is to be done on the UI, PLEASE make it follow the UI style guidelines. It's the only app on my entire Mac that breaks the look & feel consistency rules (even Studio, which I think looks hideous ugly, at least follows the rules). Oh, don't make it look like Studio - that looks like a toy. Carrara at least looks professional, even if it is breaking the rules.

edited December 1969

Well this is more of a feature request, but it does bug me :p

Could we have the option to move the content browser to a second monitor, I mean more and more people are getting a 2 sometimes 3 monitor setup. Then again I think the UI needs a little re-design to support dual monitor setup

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited December 1969

I added a shader preset that is sold in the DAZ store to the Genesis 2 female. The attached pic explains the result. No error message.

G2F_white_screen_of_death.JPG
    843 x 698 - 54K
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Hmm

I swore I put these 2 in this post, but maybe I forgot.

In addition to the 3 in the other post...

4. No CMS dependency for Carrara. My computer isn't connected to the internet.

5. Please fix bugs and errors quickly and without breaking the work you've already fixed.

tsarist said:
    Thanks for the thread and the "stickiness" of it.

1. Genesis needs to work properly. Right out of the box.

2. Autofit needs to work properly and consistently.

3. DUF files need to be able to be used properly. Right out of the box.

Thanks.

P.S. I love Carrara. It is my 3D software of choice. I'm using it as a professional and software MUST work properly and consistently.
    Fix these issues because there are plenty of items I would like to get from Daz and other great vendors.

Can't wait to get Olympia 6 working in Carrara.

• NetWorthyNetWorthy Posts: 0
    edited July 2014

Yes, I too am saddened by what has happened to the Carrara platform - AND Studio.

When I first got into 3d my original platform was Daz Studio and it was great for what it was at the time and I loved it: A free, forgiving to noobs, easy to use 3d platform. When I was finally ready to step up, there was that beautiful Carrara with dazzling features and renders. Carrara was a MUCH cheaper alternative than VUE and consistently turned out images nearly on a par with that brutally expensive platform. Of course, both platforms had a list of bugs, but they were smallish issues, more nuisance than anything. And I LOVED Daz content as it was universally high quality, gorgeous and bulletproof - it just plain worked. That was then.

This is now. Studio is so bloated it no longer is the great entry-level tool it was. And Carrara is all but ignored. And as you point out, Carrara no longer works with everything Daz is releasing today. I've pretty much given up on using any Genesis-era figures and props because the vast majority of it just does not work with Carrara. And yes, I'm kinda miffed by being forced into CMS too - I have my runtimes organized the way *I* want them thank you very much. I saw somebody else on here say they've been forced to look more at Renderosity and RuntimeDNA for working trouble-free content, and I'm sad to say this now includes me too. And with C8.5 I've had a few occasions of having scenes that either won't save - or won't open - and when this happens, it almost always trashes a project with a LOT of time in it.

The way things are going, I figure I'll use C8.5 as long as I can, then will look at other options when Daz lets it die. And I'm thinking Studio is going to be a ways down my list because I just don't want to feel manipulated on one hand and ignored on the other. Call it scar tissue.

Please don't read this as anger folks: It's profound sadness. Where is the Daz I first encountered about seven years ago, the high class outfit I felt CERTAIN loved me - and I sure as heck loved them right back. I miss that Daz...

Post edited by NetWorthy on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

window issues
    when opening a new or saved project the 3dview window on 2 monitors does not use the free space but places the window like that it is stretched a bit over both monitors
    the rendering window has to be scaled after each render even if there is enough space
    the browser window should not be attached to the sequencer window
    close x should be normally on the right side of the window
    I can not resize a window where I want its just a small point at one corner

edited September 2014

copying here from another thread.

I am now discovering that my Carrara-related purchases have been spread across several directories that I’m pretty sure I did not create. This is not limited to PhilW’s products. For a Howie Farkes product, I checked DIm and the presets files for were installed under a folder entitled “Carrara 8.5, 8, 7.2, 7 :” , which is in one location, but PhilW’s Addison hair was installed under a folder entitled “Carrara 8.5: ” which is in another. Ringo’s shaders were installed under a folder entitled “Carrara 8.5, 8, 7.2, 7, 6 :”, which if you note closely is different from the first.

These are three different installation places for Carrara content. I am actually finding more. Aaargh. I repeat, I had uninstalled everything then used the DIM default. My intention was to avoid this very problem. Edit - and yes, I need to find all of these locations and add them to the browser.

It is probably a DIM issue more than a Carrara issue - but either way, it is a Daz support of Carrara issue.

Edit: I submitted this Request #177200

Post edited by Diomede on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I am now discovering that my Carrara-related purchases have been spread across several directories that I’m pretty sure I did not create. This is not limited to PhilW’s products. For a Howie Farkes product, I checked DIm and the presets files for were installed under a folder entitled “Carrara 8.5, 8, 7.2, 7 :” , which is in one location, but PhilW’s Addison hair was installed under a folder entitled “Carrara 8.5: ” which is in another. Ringo’s shaders were installed under a folder entitled “Carrara 8.5, 8, 7.2, 7, 6 :”, which if you note closely is different from the first.

These are three different installation places for Carrara content. I am actually finding more. Aaargh. I repeat, I had uninstalled everything then used the DIM default. My intention was to avoid this very problem. Edit - and yes, I need to find all of these locations and add them to the browser.

It is probably a DIM issue more than a Carrara issue - but either way, it is a Daz support of Carrara issue.

That's very strange, as DIM doesn't use those folder names as install locations. Those are just for the convenience of the person assembling the zips, so they can readily see which versions of Carrara the product works in. The actual install location doesn't have any of those paths.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

That's very strange, as DIM doesn't use those folder names as install locations. Those are just for the convenience of the person assembling the zips, so they can readily see which versions of Carrara the product works in. The actual install location doesn't have any of those paths.

I admit I am just guessing what caused all of this, but I am confident that I didn't create directories with that kind of name. DIM must have done it. Or, maybe vendors include that name so that the product is intended to be installed to a directory with any of those numbers? Don't know, just guessing.

Here is a screenshot that shows the DIM install information for one of my Carrara-related products (some shaders by Ringo). You can see that DIM says it installed the files to a directory with a lot of different versions of Carrara in the name. In the lower left, I have navigated to that directory in my documents library. Naturally, my Carrara browser doesn't know that that directory exists and has related files until I add it.

2_carrara_install_location_for_fixmypcmike.jpg
    927 x 672 - 319K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:

I admit I am just guessing what caused all of this, but I am confident that I didn't create directories with that kind of name. DIM must have done it. Or, maybe vendors include that name so that the product is intended to be installed to a directory with any of those numbers? Don't know, just guessing.

Here is a screenshot that shows the DIM install information for one of my Carrara-related products (some shaders by Ringo). You can see that DIM says it installed the files to a directory with a lot of different versions of Carrara in the name. In the lower left, I have navigated to that directory in my documents library. Naturally, my Carrara browser doesn't know that that directory exists and has related files until I add it.

It sounds like either that item is tagged incorrectly, or DIM has the wrong settings for the location of Carrara -- it should be installing to the Presets folder in any of those listed Carrara versions, not to a folder with that name. Can you go to Settings (the gear icon in the upper right) > Applications and post a screenshot?

edited December 1969

It sounds like either that item is tagged incorrectly, or DIM has the wrong settings for the location of Carrara -- it should be installing to the Presets folder in any of those listed Carrara versions, not to a folder with that name. Can you go to Settings (the gear icon in the upper right) > Applications and post a screenshot?

Here is the DIM screenshot for Daz programs

DIM_install_paths.JPG
    657 x 437 - 69K
    edited December 1969

It looks like you have content folders listed there -- those should just be the paths for the applications themselves. DIM sees the 3 listings you have for Carrara and installs Carrara content to all 3 locations. I'm not sure how you get the "Carrara 8.5,8,7.2,7;" folder, however, DIM shouldn't be creating that.

edited December 1969

It looks like you have content folders listed there -- those should just be the paths for the applications themselves. DIM sees the 3 listings you have for Carrara and installs Carrara content to all 3 locations. I'm not sure how you get the "Carrara 8.5,8,7.2,7;" folder, however, DIM shouldn't be creating that.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this.

The problem seems limited to Carrara-related content. All of the Studio and Poser stuff seems to be going to the My Daz 3D Library and My Daz 3D Library Runtime as expected.

It would be a pain, but I could uninstall the Carrara content, and then the C8.5 program, then have DIM reinstall the C8.5 program, and finally reinstall the Carrara content after directing DIM to whatever directory DIM creates. But, I suspect I have to hunt down and delete all of these extraneous carrara-named file folders in the middle of it.

Note - I want to keep my version of C8.1 running because of some bugs that seem to be in C8.5 but not C8.1.

• ricmortonricmorton Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hmmm. Can't find my post from yesterday. Wonder why?
    Listed a few Issues I'm also having with Carrara. I'll keep looking
    for it.