Saving D-Former Clothing For Other Use

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I know how to save a D-Former as a support asset. I'm not sure exactly what that does though. I know it saves it for that particular scene (you can close studio and come back to it) but how do you save that piece of clothing with the d-forms so you can load it onto another figure at another time?

Comments

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I know how to save a D-Former as a support asset. I'm not sure exactly what that does though. I know it saves it for that particular scene (you can close studio and come back to it) but how do you save that piece of clothing with the d-forms so you can load it onto another figure at another time?

When I have stuff in DS that I want to import as a chunk (like a figure and a prop together) I save it as a scene subset. Select the item and d-former together when you save, and they should arrive together when you add them back in.
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

You could make the morph and save that.

[Can make the morph either by sending clothing over the bridge to Hexagon and shooting it back over the bridge to a "fresh default load" of said clothing piece or by exporting out an .obj file to bring back in via Morph Loader] again to a "fresh default load" clothing piece].

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Thanks KaribousBoutique- I knew that, thanks :) It's the Merge function. What I want is just the clothing so I can put it on other characters.

Patience 55- you said "or by exporting out an .obj file to bring back in via Morph Loader again to a “fresh default load” clothing piece."

So File>Export>Wavefront Obj, then what exactly is "via Morph Loader." ? Sorry, I'm clueless.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Thanks KaribousBoutique- I knew that, thanks :) It's the Merge function. What I want is just the clothing so I can put it on other characters.

Patience 55- you said "or by exporting out an .obj file to bring back in via Morph Loader again to a “fresh default load” clothing piece."

So File>Export>Wavefront Obj, then what exactly is "via Morph Loader." ? Sorry, I'm clueless.

One has the clothing piece shaped as desired. Select it.
    File > Export > choose the .obj file [working on memory late at night, think it was the Poser settings]. To the desktop is fine.
    Then in D/S load in a fresh copy of the very same clothing piece and have it selected. [i.e. there are no morphs on/in it].
    Then ... I think it's under Edit ... somewhere there's a reference link for Morph Loader Pro, launch it.
    In Morph Loader Pro, browse for the morphed .obj file bringing it into D/S this way so Morph Loader can bring up the making morph dialogue box.
    Name the morph and name/select desired options and hopefully you'll get a success message.
    Then over on the Parameters Tab should be the new morph. Dial it up and see if it works as desired. If yes, then "0" it and save it.
    One can further edit the new morph's dial for placement, colour, etc. and then resave it to keep changes.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2014

Thanks, I'll give it a go after I finish making the other side of the top (doing the mermaid top.)
    If anyone is interested in how to do a D-former on clothing, I did the step by step for the first side of it and am doing the second side now.

EDIT: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38051/P1140/#634266 shows the d-former on the mermaid top

How To Do It: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38051/P1140/#634325

I even gave the cooridinates so you can save a couple hours figuring it out if you're new to it.

I see why your name is Patience :)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

hehehe ... it's to remind myself to have some for myself too.

Made some pics:

006.png
    758 x 467 - 72K
    005.png
    565 x 673 - 75K
    004.png
    858 x 463 - 109K
    002.png
    507 x 606 - 57K
    001.png
    900 x 361 - 140K
    edited June 2014

And the rest ...

Hope this helps.

012.png
    812 x 554 - 68K
    010.png
    804 x 608 - 81K
    009.png
    873 x 493 - 100K
    008.png
    829 x 572 - 91K
    007.png
    900 x 504 - 164K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

When I add a D-Former to my clothing items I make, such as a waist fit etc, I tell it to Spawn the Morph and then change the name, limits etc and it is saved in the Morphs part of the Parameters tab. That morph is now in the data folder for that item and ready to use. I don't do any more than that.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    When I add a D-Former to my clothing items I make, such as a waist fit etc, I tell it to Spawn the Morph and then change the name, limits etc and it is saved in the Morphs part of the Parameters tab. That morph is now in the data folder for that item and ready to use. I don't do any more than that.

Thought I might have missed something ... been a hectic week.

Okay ... you "just" change the name etc ... are you saving it or does that happen automatically? So far [from previous attempts when I remembered to spawn the morph], it didn't save unless I did something like as above.

edited December 1969

NO, I have never saved a D-Former morph. It always appears in Parameters and stays there even after closing DS.

edited December 1969

Okay, I'll have to try that again ... don't recall how far back it was when I went through a whole bunch of procedures before ... they slipped in an improvement! :-)

edited December 1969

Well we have a mystery Wilmap.

tip toes in with 'nuther question ...
    Is there any chance that you were saving scenes or parts thereof?

runs out to duck into closet with pillow over ears ...

['cause you see it isn't working just plainly for others either without doing something like saving the morph asset so others are curious too, ty]

edited December 1969

The only thing I save is the clothing item, once I have added all the D-Formers I want.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    The only thing I save is the clothing item, once I have added all the D-Formers I want.

Okay thank you very much :-)

edited December 1969

It's trew! It's trew!

Big thank you!!!

Made a long skirt, made a d-form morph, spawned it too ... repositioned it, coloured the bar ... saved the skirt. Deleted the skirt. Loaded a new one and the morph is still there!

In digging through some notes for something else discovered a comment made that something had changed between 4.5 and 4.6 with saving ... now I know what they were talking about ;-)

The "Wilmap Procedure" is how I now think of it.

yes.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 691K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It is still a mystery to me as to why the morphs become permanent in items such as User created Clothing but do not become permanent when Spawned for a Figure such as Genesis, they are lost if the morph is not saved for figures.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    It is still a mystery to me as to why the morphs become permanent in items such as User created Clothing but do not become permanent when Spawned for a Figure such as Genesis, they are lost if the morph is not saved for figures.

Because Genesis is already a saved figure.

If it follows pattern one would have to be resaving the Genesis figure as though for the lst time. I might test this theory later with a DIFFERENT figure [like the make human one] because there is no way I wish to mess up that Genesis file lol ..

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Because Genesis is already a saved figure.

If it follows pattern one would have to be resaving the Genesis figure as though for the lst time. I might test this theory later with a DIFFERENT figure [like the make human one] because there is no way I wish to mess up that Genesis file lol ..Ah... okay there goes that elusive Click. I knew there was a reason right there but not what it was. TY.

edited December 1969

Glad you got it sorted patience.

I don't think anything changed from DS4.5 to 4.6 because that's how I've always done D-Formers way back in DS4 as well I think.