Making eyelashes with Carrara Dynamic Hair

SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
edited April 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I have a problem with Victoria/Genesis eyelashes for a project I'm doing--they are too goopy with mascara, and removing a layer didn't help... and I needed to remove the shadows they created so that later I can re-shadow different elements in the scene and on the character by doing lighting experiments. It's a faff that every little thing can create shadows and can be really weird. So removing the layer or shortening them... that made them disappear almost altogether when viewed even in close-up. I wanted a natural look that should show up from a bit of a distance. I tried making a new texture/pattern for them, but didn't work.

Anyways, I have made eyebrows with Carrara hair for my Neanderthals successfully...but never thought about trying eyelashes. Well... the mesh is there, so I put some guide hairs on and after a lot of trial and error with length and hair count, got the below results. From a distance of the final scene, I can see her eyes have definition that is natural enough for this purpose.

If any of you experts have done this before, I'd appreciate any pointers as it took a lot of faffing around. I used Addison hair to get shades as I didn't want them all black! I got variable shades of brown/black that matched the brows.

Any help/criticisms appreciated. Two images, first is in Assemble which I lightened to show that they look coarser than in render. Then the distance shot. I spent so much time on her face that other than her top, everything else are products as they come, or maybe are trimmed and coloured differently.

xx :) SileneUK

Misty_1.png
487 x 1000 - 697K
Misty_2.png
700 x 1167 - 780K
Post edited by SileneUK on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Very nice, what you've got going here. I have had difficulty making the lashes just how I want them too. On my V4 character, I even made my own morph for them so I could change the shape and direction of them.

Sometimes, if eyelashes are giving goofy shadows, try using soft shadows on them. In the ray traced soft shadows, you can increase the light diameter for the soft shadows to spread the shadow details out farther. Okay, that sounds weird. In essence, higher values make softer shadows with less impact. The default of 0.08 is not much softness at all.
    We need to be careful with that. Too large of a number can spread the shadows so far that they don't really look much like shadows anymore.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Really like your character, Silene. She looks really cool! We should hike out there with an iPad, see what she'd trade for it! ;)

I have spent most of my younger days as a hiker/rough camper. Bring only a few essentials and live free out in the middle of a woods in the middle of nowhere. It's really easy to do here. I've always wondered what this night time cry was all about. It sounded a lot like a baby crying. Turned out to be Bobcats! Once I saw one, it gave me shivers to the bone in equal portions of fear and an awe of excitement. But ever since then, I'd get a bit of an uneasy feeling when that sound surrounded my tent!

I get along great with animals. My parents and siblings are a bit amazed by it. I would have loved to actually share company with a Bobcat. But fear would stop me every time. The one time I came upon what I think was a fully grown Wolf, I carefully turned my head just for a second, to catch my bearing, since it was the top of a cliff, and in that second, the Wolf, with nothing more than the sound of a single, soft snap of a twig, was completely gone. Vanished. It took me several minutes to just let my heart catch back up with me - or the other way around? I loved it. It's a rush. I just kind of wish that fear wasn't so prominent in that rush... but I guess that it has to be.

Sorry for the off-topic rant... it's your picture's fault!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

Wow Dart., what an expeirence! Cool! One of those things that will stay with you forever.

I have to start over a bit with her...less makeup has been requested....going to look really bare-faced, oh well. And I have to cover wolf with fur. Don't mind, just time consuming. So am going to make the lashes brown, that should help. Prefer doing my own stuff to be honest!

Thanks for the advice....I don't mind the lashes in most cases as the scenes are in darker places. This is just an odd setting.

x :) SileneUK

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Wow Dart., what an expeirence! Cool! One of those things that will stay with you forever.

I have to start over a bit with her...less makeup has been requested....going to look really bare-faced, oh well. And I have to cover wolf with fur. Don't mind, just time consuming. So am going to make the lashes brown, that should help. Prefer doing my own stuff to be honest!

Thanks for the advice....I don't mind the lashes in most cases as the scenes are in darker places. This is just an odd setting.

Look up Holly's fur tutorial for the wolf. It's done using DAZ's cat, but I used the mil-dog when following it.

edited April 2014

laurenwbr said:

Look up Holly's fur tutorial for the wolf. It's done using DAZ's cat, but I used the mil-dog when following it.

Is it in that big list of sticky tuts list at top? I have that....will go and look. Thanks! (Thanks, Holly)

ETA I can't find it in that video list or on her Youtube list. Can someone direct me to it please if you have time??? Ta!

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    laurenwbr said:

Is it in that big list of sticky tuts list at top? I have that....will go and look. Thanks! (Thanks, Holly)

ETA I can't find it in that video list or on her Youtube list. Can someone direct me to it please if you have time??? Ta!

Sorry. It's in comic book form. I'm having some lower GI distress today and have to make frequent and sudden trips to the loo (as you Brits call it).

http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/tutorials/carrara-fur-tutorial-comicbook/

I highly recommend that you also peruse some of her other tutorials. The Sun tutorial is especially helpful if you want to learn about some of the different shader functions and some good tips on how to build complex shaders. The stuff in the tutorial can be applied to many different shader ideas, not just a sun.

edited December 1969

:roll:

laurenwbr said:
    laurenwbr said:

Sorry. It's in comic book form. I'm having some lower GI distress today and have to make frequent and sudden trips to the loo (as you Brits call it).

I highly recommend that you also peruse some of her other tutorials. The Sun tutorial is especially helpful if you want to learn about some of the different shader functions and some good tips on how to build complex shaders. The stuff in the tutorial can be applied to many different shader ideas, not just a sun.

Thanks, hope you feel better... the runs suck big time. :sick: Silene

edited April 2014

laurenwbr said:
    laurenwbr said:

HOLLY, I love this comic book format....better than some complicated vids that I have to stop and start to switch back to a test of a new technique. Your way makes it easier to see the tool selections. I agree, I end up with the sock puppet look and the way you explain how to get a more realistic animal fur is great. Will post my wolf when done. He's starting to look great! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! And thanks EP for pointing me to it.

edited December 1969

Glad I could help! I'm going to plug her sun tutorial again as it will help to understand some of the more complex aspects of the shader system. As an added bonus it is done in the same cool comic book format.