Low Poly Modelling for Game Mods

Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi :) long time no bugging *grins*

I am still modding happily away in Skyrim - though so far I have worked with my own textures, ressources from others and existing vanilla meshes which I merely gave my own 2D artwork.

I tried bringing in some of my own models into that game.
The "transfer/convert" tool that is used for it, since I refuse to use Blender - is called NifSkope.

It can change Collada or Wavefront Object files into so called "Nif" files.

Thing is -
1) the game requires very low-poly meshes or it might cause players with weaker computers to lagg and have low fps.
2) It requires triangles...

I created some architecture (a round/circular pool/well), nothing fancy... made certain it consisted of triangle polygons.
Yet NifSkope does not recognize those as triangles and keeps complaining that it wans triangles.

Are there different types of triangles?
And if I created something that turns out to have still too many polys - is there a non-destructive way to reduce the count.

I tried substraction - but it was almost as if I "hardened" the edges...O_o it ruined the mesh beyond repair... instead of stretching here and there some "merged" triangles it merely cut triangles away and created gaps.
So I assume "substraction" is not really the way *sigh*

Then...
In NifSkope I can add texture maps. Normals, Diffuse, Global, Glow Map, Blacklight Map yaddyadda... loads of stuff.
Can anyone tells me what a "blacklight" map is? Like blacklight/neon stuff as sort of a glow effect?
Can I create that in Carrara - want to export those shaders as texture maps.

I tried creating normal maps in Photoshop with that NVidea Plugin... eh... they call that normal map? looked more like "reduced to a bluish pink color without any hint of "bump". Is that normal for those photoshop normal maps?

Final 2 Questions for Tuts:
Any good and simple tutorials for creating low poly architecture that doesn't look like Lego or too clotty?
The architecture can have roundish archs, or simply be a pillar or a pool.

Any good tutorials for those meta balls? I thought about doing some "low poly" organics with that, too...

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

Ultimate Unwrap http://unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx
    not used with Skyrim as I do not have Skyrim but has worked nicely with converting X files to FBX for Carrara and putting stuff rigged, animated and fully uv mapped into Unreal game engine UDK editor after triangulating and decimating in it, much better than Daz Studio Decimator.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

not used with Skyrim as I do not have Skyrim but has worked nicely with converting X files to FBX for Carrara and putting stuff rigged, animated and fully uv mapped into Unreal game engine UDK editor after triangulating and decimating in it, much better than Daz Studio Decimator.
    Wow! Never knew it did all of the things it does... quite the tool!
    lol2_a.jpg
    640 x 400 - 87K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited April 2014

Two more UU3D fans - i just love it!

Almost fun UV mapping :)

If you don't want to spend the bucks, the free Meshlab does a great job of decimating, all in tri's, too.

Post edited by Roygee on
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited April 2014

ProVersion File Formats:
    NetImmerse Format/Gamebryo
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Freedom Force
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV NIF

YESSSSSS
    O_O must have that!!!!!
    Next pay day I have that one on my comp

Wait! I know that crazy bomb throwing guy! Love that one! Friend of mine plays him like no one else.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    Wait! I know that crazy bomb throwing guy! Love that one! Friend of mine plays him like no one else.
    LOL! That's awesome! :ahhh:
    Yeah, I just might be picking that one up too. I must say, I'm enjoying my UV Mapping within Carrara, but I bet it would be a lot easier and faster in this! ;)
    edited December 1969

I now have Skyrim on my PC too and after looking at all the cool mods people did grabbed the creation tools off steam.
    no idea yet how I would go about putting a model I made in, learning to play the game is prob more important to me right now, but seeing the mods got me fascinated
    I have nifskope too and of course Blender which is just as much a puzzle to me!
    I will watch what you do with interest though and work on my backyard dunny in the hope of plopping it in one day too!

edited April 2014

oh Rhiana just warn you the download for the nif plugin for UUW3D gives a javascript error
    you might want to try if you can get that first before buying if it is the dealbreaker.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

the nif plugin downloaded using IE
    dragon rendered in carrara animated in iClone with difficulty

SkyrimDragon.gif
    800 x 450 - 8M
    edited December 1969

update found you can drag bones in hierarchy to rig it properly without losing weightmapping
    does not mean I can animate it any better though
    http://youtu.be/6jrQ7g-xI0I

alduin000.gif
    192 x 108 - 6M
  • cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

I'm curious Wendy. Are you using the Unreal Game Engine for cinematics or for fast rendering of animations / machinima (i.e. instead of iClone)?

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I was just thinking about our Haiku low polygon model challenge the other day (on another Website). :)