I need help and advice on building a new computer.

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2014

Ok,

Here is the first list of parts that my wife and I have been looking at. My research has not bean going very well and I am not positive that these parts will play nicely with each other. We seem to be configuring a middle of the road machine(!?)

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior.

Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive.

CORSAIR RM Series RM1000 1000W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R.

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit (Slim Envelope)... whatever slim envelope means(!?).

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes.

NVIDIA Tegra K1 Mobile Processor Quad-core, 4-Plus-1 ARM Cortex –A15 MPCore processor with NEON technology Low-power NVIDIA Kepler-based GeForce graphics processor (Not out yet!!!)

Please be brutally honest. I feel like im a bit out of my league with all this.

1000W PSU might be overkill for this system, if you were running two video cards possibly but your Video card choice is a dedicated specialized hardware solution, and not something designed to work with this system.

the ASUS Sabertooth x79 uses a PCIe 3.0 16x GPU, the video cards in Link to a list of PCIe 3.0 x16 cards from newegg.com are compatible with that unit.

The Cooler Master Hyper is great if you plan to Overclock this computer, if not you don't need it. The i7 BX80646I74770K comes with a heat sync and fan that are more than adequite for non-overclocked use .

your Motherboard has 8 RAM slots, your RAM is 4 chips. Check if your RAM is compatible with the board. You can ask over at Corsiar forums, the admin (RAMGUY) over there is super knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

On looking at those specs, I'd be more inclined to say that mine was middle of the road. You have some serious hardware there! If you head over to 3D World magazine's website I'd see if you can order a back issue of issue 178, they built a workstation in there that sounds like it'd meet your budget and specifications.

CHEERS!

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Ok,

Here is the first list of parts that my wife and I have been looking at. My research has not bean going very well and I am not positive that these parts will play nicely with each other. We seem to be configuring a middle of the road machine(!?)

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior.

Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive.

CORSAIR RM Series RM1000 1000W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R.

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit (Slim Envelope)... whatever slim envelope means(!?).

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes.

NVIDIA Tegra K1 Mobile Processor Quad-core, 4-Plus-1 ARM Cortex –A15 MPCore processor with NEON technology Low-power NVIDIA Kepler-based GeForce graphics processor (Not out yet!!!)

Please be brutally honest. I feel like im a bit out of my league with all this.

What Stratdragon said.

I bought 2 Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB EARX series and they died because of a head parking problem. Hope for you they solved that issue with the EZRX. And yes they are not meant for being the main HDD.

The Tegra K1 is a graphic processor for phones ?! It has very little power compared to a desktop GPU

I'm not completely 100% sure on the Windows Version choice. Windows 8.1 update 1 just came out and you can configure it to fall directely on the desktop like a Windows 7. Concerning rights or useability; I didn't have more problem with it than with Win 7. Just had some compatibility issue with drivers and some softwares but once you get everything running up, it is very equivalent to Win 7.

As Microsoft gives the possibility for Downgrade in case of OEM Windows you could ask your vendor for a Win 8 Licence and get a Win 7 installed so that you could go to Win 8 if you want it later. Win 8 is getting better and I guess it will continue to improve. I believe DirectX 12 will improve performance when it comes out and as I said earlier Microsoft didn't mention it would be available for Win7. So it would be safe to be able to update to Win8 if you want to without paying a new licence
    PS : that doesn't apply if you buy a Full Windows Licence

edited December 1969

Hologram DVD's of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit can be bought legit from a few retailers from around £50, compared to £130 for Windows 8. Just google Windows 7 64 bit Hologram DVD and you'll get the links you need. OEM tend to be manufacturer specific which the hologram ones aren't.

CHEERS!

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited December 1969

Hi All,

Still processing information. Thanks for the comments.

I had a feeling that I was going a bit overboard on some of the components, and not far enough on others. I have no intention of overclocking the system and I was a bit worried about the power draw.

More research, but I think im starting to get a sense of what I need (I think).

Thanks.

edited December 1969

If this is purely for DS and nothing more high end than that, I think a machine akin to the one I'm building should cope admirably with the task at hand. I aim to try and do pretty high res stuff within DS itself and then branch out with Luxus and LightDome Pro 2. If you were to use stuff like ZBrush and other programs then a higher spec probably would be called for.

The spec of machine they built in the issue of 3D World that I mentioned, that was meant for stuff like 3DS Max and Maya, stuff I'd kill to use but simply can't afford.

Look at the programs you want to use and their maximum specs, if you can afford to, build a system that matches them

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

It has to be an all around machine. Im trying to keep my budget within the 2000 USD range. I want it to be able to run DS and Hex as well as it possibly can, but I also want it to be a decent gaming machine. It also has to run excel and spread sheets, etc, but that shouldnt be an issue at all.

edited December 1969

I see,

The specs on mine deliver pretty decent frame rates in bench tests I've seen, and you don't have to have it set a ultra high resolutions with all the bells and whistles on to still get a good gaming experience. I guess if you can afford it you could look at the hardware mine has and then look at say the next model or two up. An Intel with the same specs as the AMD processor I have could cost up to double what I paid for the AMD so I wouldn't entirely rule them out. If space isn't a concern then you could go for a mid tower case where you can pack in a really high spec motherboard with lots of RAM and expansion slots, then you can upgrade when better parts come down in price, which they inevitably do.

So long as you do research, sign up to forums and check reviews and compatibility charts you shouldn't go far wrong

CHEERS!

edited April 2014

I would want my emphasis on cpu and ram for rendering and modeling a very good but not incredible gpu to game well but not push the limits of every game yet to come out since that kind of investment is futile IMHO, I would want to keep as many of the components the same brand as possible as long as the vendor has a solid reputation (ASUS, Corsair, etc.) and those products have been tested by those vendors in their labs. I would want a motherboard that performed but did not give me things I will never need at the expense of price jacking. I would want a 2TB drive for long term and runtime and an SSD drive for booting and my apps to run from.

IF I had $2K USD to spend on a system right now to game and render this is what it would look like, provided I have a keyboard, mouse and LCD sorted out already. Prices are from NewEgg.com at the time of this post and I did not check interoperability or compatibility as well as I would if I were going to drop this kind of scratch on a new computer , I SHOT FROM THE HIP ] so this is not a shopping list

CASE
    Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $107.99

SATA
    HD Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive $89.99

GPU
    ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $269.99

PSU
    CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC $129.99

RAM
    CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model $334.99

MOBO
    ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $199.99

CPU
    Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770 $309.99

OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - OEM $189.99

BLP/DVD
    LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12NS30 - OEM $49.99

SSD HD
    Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F360GBGS-BK 2.5" 360GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $299.99

Total:
    $1,982.90

edited December 1969

Hi StratDragon,

Suppose that I did want the items that you posted above, as far as checking for interoperability and compatibility, this would be when I would go to tomshardware.com and CNET?
    Do you have any more recommendations that I should follow making sure that the parts work well together?

edited December 1969

Pretty much, yeah,

Some people on those forums will have a downer on Corsair PSU's because some made a whining noise, this wasn't a manufacturing issue like they would have you believe, there were settings in the BIOS that needed updating, for which there is a video on YouTube.

This is good for checking compatibility: http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_M5A78L-M~USB3/1103/Compatible_PSUs

Key in any make and it will say what goes with what. I followed it a lot when I put my specs together.

CHEERS!

edited April 2014

Hi StratDragon,

Suppose that I did want the items that you posted above, as far as checking for interoperability and compatibility, this would be when I would go to tomshardware.com and CNET?
    Do you have any more recommendations that I should follow making sure that the parts work well together?

yes, thats where you would check and see what people said and then make some fine adjustments to your list depending. if I was going to be doing a lot of GPU rendering I'd cut the SSD and up the GPU to a 4GB DDR5 card but the return on investment with a lot of this gear when double the price does not translate to double the speed, in some case not even close and it becomes a matter of bragging rights, not performance.
    I'd check some gamers forums as well, I game on my xbox because my CPU is my art box and the bottom line is you can't really upgrade an xbox, so you don't have to worry about are you running a game at it's optimum settings or have the latest drivers so my GPU gaming knowledge is limited, you can probably get a cheaper faster card than the ASUS but I tend to like them as they are built like brick $#!+ houses. My corsair PSU is the same way, a little noisy but when I'm running Lux and my CPU is too busy to open a web page I'm not sitting around listening to the fan, and my box is on the floor so to me it's quiet, and I've been in bands for years so white noise is what I hear 24/7 anyway.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

No problem stands out to me, except where is the cooling? You going to expect the default fans to pull all the Drive and Ram heat? Now if the Case includes the Fans I give this a nod if not Cooling would be needed.

EDIT: My System may not be perfect but...

Capture-006.PNG
    962 x 199 - 36K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Stratdragon posted a good config.

IMHO when choosing components you don't always have to get the most expensive one./ or full options especially if you won't use them. So you should have a really good idea of what you want to do with your Rig at the moment you buy it and also plan on eventual future use and choose accordingly
    Ex : AsRock is a spun off company from Asus and makes good motherboard usually cheaper than Asus. If you really want SLI/Crossfire you could get the Fatal1ty Z87 Killer (129$) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460 or if you really don't need SLI/Crossfire the Z77 Extreme (119 $) could do the job http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Regarding performance, I'll also say that you could get an AMD Rig with slightly equivalent power for less than an Intel Rig. And I'm sure you could go to a local store and buy a customized gaming Rig as gaming Rigs usually are good starting base for DS.

Ex : AMD FX 8 Cores/ 8 Gb RAM/ AMD RX 290 4Gb/ SSD + 1TB HDD (1299$) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1595324
    The same with better components and bigger HDD and 16 Gb RAM (1785$) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1595334

The AMD Graphic card would be good for Luxrender. In my case I would change it for an Nvidia GPU because I use Blender and Cycles and need Cuda. If you don't need Nvidia or don't plan to use that, then these are good Rigs for you

edited December 1969

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I'll put some effort into going over this all tomorrow and get a reply out.

One question, why Windows 7 Ultimate as opposed to Professional? Is their a performance boost through Ultimate? I dont want to go to Windows 8, I've been scared away from it.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    No problem stands out to me, except where is the cooling? You going to expect the default fans to pull all the Drive and Ram heat? Now if the Case includes the Fans I give this a nod if not Cooling would be needed.

EDIT: My System may not be perfect but...

The corsair cases are supposedly excellent for heat removal. The model case I had in the list has two fans in front one in back. the fan sizes are 120mm. The PSU has a fan, the GPU has two fans, the CPU has a fan but the RAM does not. As long as no OC'ing is happening on the RAM and the CPU my semi-educated guess is it should be fine. Next case I buy will be a Corsair.

The AMD Graphic card would be good for Luxrender. In my case I would change it for an Nvidia GPU because I use Blender and Cycles and need Cuda. If you don't need Nvidia or don't plan to use that, then these are good Rigs for you

I prefer the Nvidia, they seem to be the card of choice for the majority of developers. All that aside the AMD CPU and the ATI AMD's are solid products, when Intel and AMD started testing the waters with dual core CPU's my research pointed to AMD making the better bang for the buck when I built my first official rig meaning parts didn't come from various dumptsers and discards from clients who had upgraded.

edited December 1969

Coolermaster cases come with one large case fan, at least mine does, and there is an option to fit more if needs be. I couldn't find another mini tower that met my needs, though if space is less of a concern then Corsair's cases are ideal. Asus graphic cards towards the mid to high end feature their DirectCU II cooling system so they can keep pretty cool under most operating conditions. Corsair offer a water cooling system, which takes away the need for a heatsink and cooling fan on the processor, though it did look a bit complicated to me.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

... Corsair offer a water cooling system, which takes away the need for a heatsink and cooling fan on the processor, though it did look a bit complicated to me...

IMHO Unless you are doing some fairly extreme CPU overclocking (OC) the water cooling is a fairly expensive addition you wont gain any benefit and they can be a lot nosier than you might expect. The 3.4GHz. i7 4770 has been taken up to just over 4.6/4.7 GHz with aftermarket cooling solutions, but I can't imagine that does not beat down the life-cycle of your rig over time.

A few years ago a group in Las Vegas got a 2GHz. i7 up over 5GH.z with liquid nitrogen which is not available at your local Radio Shack at the time of this writing and I don't recall if it sustained that speed or died a horrible death right after.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I hear you, it certainly wasn't something I would have considered doing. I think mine should be alright for cooling.

CHEERS!

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

... Corsair offer a water cooling system, which takes away the need for a heatsink and cooling fan on the processor, though it did look a bit complicated to me...

IMHO Unless you are doing some fairly extreme CPU overclocking (OC) the water cooling is a fairly expensive addition you wont gain any benefit and they can be a lot nosier than you might expect. The 3.4GHz. i7 4770 has been taken up to just over 4.6/4.7 GHz with aftermarket cooling solutions, but I can't imagine that does not beat down the life-cycle of your rig over time.

A few years ago a group in Las Vegas got a 2GHz. i7 up over 5GH.z with liquid nitrogen which is not available at your local Radio Shack at the time of this writing and I don't recall if it sustained that speed or died a horrible death right after.

Do not overclock a CPU for 3D use. It doesn't matter what your cooling is, it is unstable and causes renderers to crash. Rendering is extremely taxing on CPU's, so what works for a game is not the same as what works for Rendering in this instance.

The latest stock AMD 8 core processor is watercooled and factory clocked at 4.7 ghz.

edited April 2014

I prefer the Nvidia, they seem to be the card of choice for the majority of developers. All that aside the AMD CPU and the ATI AMD's are solid products, when Intel and AMD started testing the waters with dual core CPU's my research pointed to AMD making the better bang for the buck when I built my first official rig meaning parts didn't come from various dumptsers and discards from clients who had upgraded.

I'd like to use AMD GPU but these are only good with Lux and gaming. As I barely use Lux and don't game at all that would be a bad choice for me. But right now if you render with Lux, the AMD GPU are well above Nvidia for the task as Nvidia's OpenCL performance are really under AMD's (due to the fact that they rather concentrate their dev on Cuda which is understandable)

In my view the factor for choice for GPU is wether you use Lux or Cuda based rendering engine, and your own preference regarding the two constructors

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I'll put some effort into going over this all tomorrow and get a reply out.

One question, why Windows 7 Ultimate as opposed to Professional? Is their a performance boost through Ultimate? I dont want to go to Windows 8, I've been scared away from it.

For what I know, the difference between W7 Ultimate and W7 Pro is that you have some added multimedia features and some other little things. There is a table comparison here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14422-compare-windows-7-editions.html

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

For home use, Windows 7 Pro is really as high spec as you'll ever need, most reasonable spec off the shelf PC's and laptops will come bundled with the Pro version of Windows.

CHEERS!

edited April 2014

...Do not overclock a CPU for 3D use. It doesn't matter what your cooling is, it is unstable and causes renderers to crash. Rendering is extremely taxing on CPU's, so what works for a game is not the same as what works for Rendering in this instance...

Excellent point. Renders call for sustained performance over long periods of time so the CPU does not get a break. Since I went to LuxRender as my main engine I'm back to sleep rendering like I did with KPT Bryce on my Quadra 650. Start render, go to sleep, wake up around noon, check status.

edited December 1969

I think overclocking is really for gamers wanting to wring the absolute maximum out of everything they've got. They want to go for hours without losing frame rates and to keep all the bells and whistles going. I'll be happy with any performance I get out of mine and certainly don't intend going beyond manufacturers defaults. I look to have picked the best set up for my budget and requirements.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Just a Tip: If your CPU Supports Overclocking many Build for you companies DO automatically set the chips to Overclocked as default at shipping. As noted that is a bad idea for 3D use as it calls for sustained CPU load times. My System shipped Overclocked and the very first thing I did was turn it off.
    Water Cooling is a Option only if your planing to WORK the CPU heavily, IMHO. I built this PC for 3D animation so yes it is Water cooled as it often runs 12-18 hours for a single multi Frame render session. Those that do Heavy CPU work may want it others will not. I suggest that a Water Cooled system only be installed by a Pro. I will only use a Certified Closed system with a 100% PC replacement clause of at least 5 years.

edited December 1969

I have a question about overclocking. I'm not entirely certain what overclocking is. From what I understand, it involves running the computer at faster than recommended speeds in order to squeeze more performance out of the machine, is that correct?

If so, I have a second question. Is overclocking something that the user specifically has to initiate or can the computer automatically overclock when it determines that it is running slow or... something?

The reason I ask is because, while I have no intention of overclocking (as I understand it), I was wondering if I should get some overclocking capable gear just in case.

If, as Rogerbee indicated, overclocking is for gamers who must have absolutely everything they can get out of their machines for their games, than this is not for me. I dont need super shiny graphics to enjoy my games and I can more than tolerate a little slow-down here and there... my 8 yr old Dell, XP machine is a testament to these facts ;)).

edited December 1969

Overclocking is squeezing those last extra cycles out of a CPU that they are rated for. My CPU is rated a 3.88Mhz but runs at 3.55Mhz. Overclocking turns the .33 on as OS speed. This means putting more power to the Chip which in turn puts more Heat on the chip. Heat is the issue as it CAN cause the Chip to overheat or they cascade to a slower clock speed to shed heat. Both are deadly for 3D rendering or can just KILL the Chip, too much heat will cook it.

edited December 1969

I have a question about overclocking. I'm not entirely certain what overclocking is. From what I understand, it involves running the computer at faster than recommended speeds in order to squeeze more performance out of the machine, is that correct?

If so, I have a second question. Is overclocking something that the user specifically has to initiate or can the computer automatically overclock when it determines that it is running slow or... something?

The reason I ask is because, while I have no intention of overclocking (as I understand it), I was wondering if I should get some overclocking capable gear just in case.

If, as Rogerbee indicated, overclocking is for gamers who must have absolutely everything they can get out of their machines for their games, than this is not for me. I dont need super shiny graphics to enjoy my games and I can more than tolerate a little slow-down here and there... my 8 yr old Dell, XP machine is a testament to these facts ;)).

It increases the performance of a CPU to be equivalent to a more expensive CPU. In some cases places that build computers to order turn this on in order to sell computers that are slower as higher speed computers.

For the most part it doesn't matter. Most software does not use all the cores of a processor (Not even games) so there are no noticeable adverse effects, except for a shorter lifespan of the processor, and since a processor lasts significantly longer than most people will keep one...

When it comes to 3D rendering that idea goes right out the window. It will spot overheat, if not entirely overheat. It will have different cores at different speeds and generally become unstable, leading to render crashes. (Which naturally gets blamed on the software, especially if the person did not realize the CPU was overclocked.)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Overclocking is squeezing those last extra cycles out of a CPU that they are rated for. My CPU is rated a 3.88Mhz but runs at 3.55Mhz. Overclocking turns the .33 on as OS speed. This means putting more power to the Chip which in turn puts more Heat on the chip. Heat is the issue as it CAN cause the Chip to overheat or they cascade to a slower clock speed to shed heat. Both are deadly for 3D rendering or can just KILL the Chip, too much heat will cook it.

What Jaderail said, and you need to set it up in the BIOS, it's not there by default, there can be a lot of trial and error with getting it to work but you can damage something without intending to so best if you work on getting your pieces in place and working with one another before you tax them. I don't OC, I used to but I can feel enough heat from my box without it to know it's probably not going to be a smooth operation.

edited December 1969

The corsair cases are supposedly excellent for heat removal. The model case I had in the list has two fans in front one in back. the fan sizes are 120mm. The PSU has a fan, the GPU has two fans, the CPU has a fan but the RAM does not. As long as no OC'ing is happening on the RAM and the CPU my semi-educated guess is it should be fine. Next case I buy will be a Corsair.

I highly recommend Antec Cases and Power Supplies. I have only ever had one Antec case fan fail and I have never had an Antec Power Supply fail. The Antec 300, 900 and 1200 series cases have the best cooling I have seen, except for the Antec Skeleton I had for a while. (Cats and the Antec Skeleton do not get along.)