Issue when adding smoothing to a imported FBX file

SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi
I was just wondering if anybody knows how to solve a problem I'm encountering with a imported fbx file in Carrara.
I would like to add smoothing to the character I have imported as a FBX from Blender however after I go to smooth objects and add my smoothing the mesh stops following the bones. And I don't want to add the smoothing before export because I'm using Vectorstyle 2 for the final render and it seems to produces a cleaner result when using a low poly mesh that has been smoothed as opposed to a high poly mesh with no smoothing.

any help would be appreciated
thanks

Comments

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited March 2014

How about alternatives then
    does anyone know how else I could get a animation created with blender into Carrara so that I can use Vector style 2 for rendering?
    So far I have looked at importing an obj sequence but the mesh seems to be converted to triangles when it's imported so I can't smooth it then either.

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

why can't it be smoothed before importing?
    smoothing always breaks rigging on Daz figures too

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

How are you trying to smooth it?

The correct "rig preserving" way is to double-click the figure to open it in the modeller, hit control-A to select everything, then change the radio button to "smooth". It is rarely a good idea to go beyond "1".

You should never use the menu option in the assembly room unless you intend to break the rigging (which is very useful sometimes)

Untitled2.jpg
    390 x 300 - 37K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    266 x 344 - 40K
    edited March 2014

Thanks Fenric that solves my problem perfectly.

I have a new question as a result of some experimenting with alternative options now.
    Is there any way to import multiple obj files to a scene and then animate their visibility so that each one is treated like a frame in a animation automatically?

While I was waiting for a solution I tried manually importing a obj sequence and animating the visibility of each OBJ myself and I actually found that it eliminated another issue I've had with Vectorstye 2 so I thought it might be worth asking if the process can be automated at all.

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to import multiple obj files to a scene and then animate their visibility so that each one is treated like a frame in a animation automatically?

While I was waiting for a solution I tried manually importing a obj sequence and animating the visibility of each OBJ myself and I actually found that it eliminated another issue I've had with Vectorstye 2 so I thought it might be worth asking if the process can be automated at all.

DCG has a Sequenced OBJ importer....
    http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=21
    edited December 1969

unfortunately that's the method I was using when I said that importing a Obj sequence converts quads to triangles.