export OBJ with skinning and morphs not working?

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

OSX, Carrara8.5

Trying to export a DAZ figure (V3) as OBJ with skinning and morphs, but generic V3 is all that I get.

I have tried selecting the Animation Group and also just the model. Both times I check skinning and morphs but no cigar.

What am I doing wrong?

Screen_Shot_2014-03-18_at_5.37_.51_PM_.png
352 x 492 - 50K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I seem to recall a thread where someone had a similar issue a few or a couple months ago, but I don't recall if there was a solution or what it might have been.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ugh. Do we even HAVE a bug tracker?

The solution is Fenric's OBJ Sequence Exporter which is here:
    http://fenric.com/wordpress/downloads/

Thank you Fenric!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

on Windows so might be a Mac issue but does it make a difference if you use save as or export with figure selected?

edited December 1969

on Windows so might be a Mac issue but does it make a difference if you use save as or export with figure selected?

Good check.

Figure selected, SAVE AS -> OBJ created an unmorphed V3 with all the props and clothes she was wearing in the scene... (probably all meshes in the scene, no matter what was selected...)

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I don't think it is possible to export to obj with all morphs. I could be wrong, but I think obj cannot handle this. I think this option is for when you use a morph (big head for instance), it is exported with a big head. That is all.

Maybe this can help a bit http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/studio-relapp01

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited March 2014

Hi Pjotter :)

I don’t think it is possible to export to obj with all morphs

you're quite right. OBJ cannot hold additional morph shapes, it's just a model format.

"Export with Morphs and skinning",.. should export the selected figure in it's "Current pose" or deformed state.
    So it's kind of a "Snapshot" of your figure in it's pose.

What it doesn't do is export all of the different shaping morphs contained in a figure, ...or anything to do with the skinning or rigging of the figure.

It doesn't create a skeleton, or export the morph parameters,.. which is what the option name suggests.

It simply exports the current mesh, in it's current pose, rather than the default (T-Pose)

HI Holly,. :)

It's working for me on PC with V3,(pic 1)
    but I'm seeing some issues with Genesis2 with hair and clothes, exported as OBJ (see pic 2)

obj_exp-imp.jpg
    1660 x 958 - 234K
    V3_obj_exp.jpg
    1638 x 929 - 215K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited March 2014

3DAGE said:

but I'm seeing some issues with Genesis2 with hair and clothes, exported as OBJ (see pic 2)

Thank you! Looks Like Genesis is posed but the accessories are grouped in. I wonder if that would happen if you (say) selected the hip bone for export.... Fenric suggests this in an old thread (for an unrelated issue). I'm not familiar with all of Genesis' "fitting" abilities. I assume it's something about that...

I checked Carrara 8.1.0.151 and it has the same problem: (OSX) export OBJ with skinning and morphs does NOT work....

I guess I never tried to export a figure mesh before because I've certainly exported OBJ models....

I cannot open C7 on this system (have to search for the font fix). OBJ export is one of those things I just took for granted so I don't know when it broke. Otherwise I would have campaigned to get it fixed in 8.5... I'm feeling very lucky that Fenric's OBJ Sequence Exporter exists.

I keep asking but no one answers (so I assume no answer IS the answer...) but *is* there a bug tracker anymore?

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Thank you! Looks Like Genesis is posed but the accessories are grouped in. I wonder if that would happen if you (say) selected the hip bone for export.... Fenric suggests this in an old thread (for an unrelated issue). I'm not familiar with all of Genesis' "fitting" abilities. I assume it's something about that...

I checked Carrara 8.1.0.151 and it has the same problem: (OSX) export OBJ with skinning and morphs does NOT work....

I guess I never tried to export a figure mesh before because I've certainly exported OBJ models....

I cannot open C7 on this system (have to search for the font fix). OBJ export is one of those things I just took for granted so I don't know when it broke. Otherwise I would have campaigned to get it fixed in 8.5... I'm feeling very lucky that Fenric's OBJ Sequence Exporter exists.

I keep asking but no one answers (so I assume no answer IS the answer...) but *is* there a bug tracker anymore?

That really depends on what you mean by a tracker. You submit a bug as a help request to Tech Support, marking it as a bug report. You can then check your request to see what is being done by checking your existing requests.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You submit a bug as a help request to Tech Support, marking it as a bug report. You can then check your request to see what is being done by checking your existing requests.

Thanks Chohole... Assuming I use the "Contact Us" form, there doesn't seem to be a way to mark it as a bug report. Do I just add "BUG REPORT" to the name of the issue or something?

Screen_Shot_2014-03-19_at_12.12_.07_PM_.png
    182 x 106 - 15K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes. It is an interim solution, but that is how it is working for now.