Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

For sure that I am interested!
    Thank you!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Wow. Really? This is really cool!
    Definitely going to have to check this out more... Cool.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

AWESOME. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.

Test .obj, quads, loaded in Hexagon no problems ... yes!!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

thx, I must look into it again
    know the previous ones imported rigged into carrara
    is good for shareable stuff!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

thx, I must look into it again
    know the previous ones imported rigged into carrara
    is good for shareable stuff!

I tried it when I first tried to make prehistoric people. Wasn't bad for doing some basic morph work, but was still all big step sliders to me and symmetry didn't work well for facial morphingr eg one morph would be to the left to increase, and another morph slider would be the opposite (yellow/orange) drove me nuts.. I didn't know about Hexagon then. Jumped into DS then to Carrara. Never looked back. But it's a good intro programme!

Will have to have a look...thanks for the post.

:wow: SileneUK

edited December 1969

Yeah, I don't even recall it being a program when I first tried it... just some test mesh models. That was a while ago. Like Silene, I dove into Carrara, working with M4 and V4 and never looked back. Carrara totally stole me away... and now when I try animating in Poser or DS, I get a headache and go back into my beloved Carrara!

I do need to get this thing and read more about it. You say you can make sharable rigs with this, Wendy? I'll have to read more into all of what this is about. I commend them BIG TIME for what it is now... looks really cool!

edited December 1969

ProPose said:
    For those that are interested.....

its available at http://makehuman.org/blog

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! :ahhh:
    edited March 2014

a carrara quickie
    my carrara file

makehuman.gif
    594 x 800 - 6M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2014

I did a makehuman Jaderail
    no Daz mesh or textures
    makehuman mesh modified attached to skeleton and painted with 3D paint in Carrara
    I animated it in iClone

can make game ready figures maybe, prob not poor Jaderail though

bottom
    made hair from MHmesh below duplicating strands in vertex room keeping UV mapping

Doc3.png
    1483 x 2000 - 1M
    Doc3.jpg
    1504 x 2000 - 500K
    Untitled.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    original_mh.png
    800 x 600 - 269K
    makehuman_Gameready_Jaderail.gif
    400 x 800 - 3M
    edited December 1969

That's really cool, Wendy!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I just downloaded it and tried it out.

A while back I decided to make my own base meshes that could be used for characters. In the pic, the one on the left is the one I made. It took me a long time, and even then the fingers and face still do not have detail. The one on the right is from Makehuman. I did it in about 15 minutes, immediately after download. You can see the detail in the face and hands. I haven't even had a chance to look at the instructions or the other features.

Can't wait to see what can be done after reading the instructions.

What a time saver!

Thanks again.

compare_make_human.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Absolutely.
    But look at what you've done! I hope you're proud of yourself. What a great side-by-side.
    Your model looks fantastic!

I agree, though. As much as I love modeling, I didn't really get into this to slave my hours away making each character myself. I want to do all sorts of cool things, perhaps even make my own person one day, but I'd much rather be animating.

So MakeHuman doesn't actually have a rigging option, eh? I wonder how easy it is to get all the fingers right with weight maps and such. I do love Genesis 2 Males and females. But this looks like a great new tool - one not to be ignored.

I'm sure I'll be diving in soon.

One thing I'd like to mention:
    I am not a rich person - or even close. But when I see Open Source stuff like this, and I really like it, I often go back and look for a donation button. Even if I can't contribute much at the time, I still like to send them something. After all, every little bit can make the difference between continuing and dropping further development. Just wanted to put in my two cents on that, as I know how dedicated these teams can be. Any motivation regarding folks thanking them for their work can really inspire heights of excellence.

edited March 2014

it inports fully rigged for me
    you have to add a skeleton choice in it
    under animation
    save a file location and export FBX

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Thanks - I got it loaded fully rigged too.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

@Wendy or PhilW - could you tell how you managed to get it to export rigged? Worked for me in previous versions, but not this one. When i select the mesh format under export - be it dae, fbx or obj, then any of the rigging or map formats, the mesh format deselects. So it comes in unrigged, without mats, at any format. I reported it to MH, and the answer from the developer was that this is a problem and it is basically intended for Blender.

I can export the bvh skeleton separately, but trying to get that onto the mesh in Carrara is a real pain.

edited March 2014

add the skeleton first then export
    you cannot have it selected for export and go back to editing without re-exporting

Untitled.jpg
    1925 x 1065 - 282K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited March 2014

Thanks, Wendy - got that part to work:)

After a bit of poking around in the MH forum, I discovered that the problem with the textures was that it doesn't export textures unless you keep it at the default decimeters - I work in centimeters so unknowingly changed it. Got that sorted too.

Couple more observations -

The dae import gives the figure and the rigging, but I can't find any way of attaching the rig. The fbx import has the rigging attached, but it can't be sent back to the reference position.

Best way I found was to import the obj and the bvh rig, scale up the rig 395% and attach. Needs some weightmapping.

Interesting figure, because you can custom-make it without too much trouble, but I don't think Daz has too much to be worried about competition-wise!

Post edited by Roygee on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

It was made before this release and I haven't used it so ? how helpful it might be in Carrara but Ghastly has a rigged MH figure that will load in D/S ... over in his Sharecg.com gallery.

edited March 2014

Roygee said:
    @Wendy or PhilW - could you tell how you managed to get it to export rigged? Worked for me in previous versions, but not this one. When i select the mesh format under export - be it dae, fbx or obj, then any of the rigging or map formats, the mesh format deselects. So it comes in unrigged, without mats, at any format. I reported it to MH, and the answer from the developer was that this is a problem and it is basically intended for Blender.

I can export the bvh skeleton separately, but trying to get that onto the mesh in Carrara is a real pain.

I certainly didn't do anything clever - I just added the skeleton, and then exported using FBX as far as I can remember.

I agree that DAZ probably doesn't have anything to worry about!

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    it inports fully rigged for me
    you have to add a skeleton choice in it
    under animation
    save a file location and export FBX

I certainly didn't do anything clever - I just added the skeleton, and then exported using FBX as far as I can remember.

I agree that DAZ probably doesn't have anything to worry about!Sweet! Maybe I'll try this out today. I have a lot on my plate, and a lot of it includes outdoors work since it's warm and sunny for a change! :ahhh:

I think that the fact that it's not going to tromp all over DAZ 3D is part of it's charm. Looks like you can make some excellent people, quickly.
    DAZ figures rigging is very, very good, in my opinion as a person wanting to do nothing more than animate, animate, and then perhaps render a few animations. They have also always had great morphs through each generation - each generation getting (opinions may vary) better and better, until now, we have Genesis that can turn into a Mountain Gorilla, Troll, Monstrosities, Mike, Vicky, the Kids, and the rest of the cast, followed up by Genesis 2, which is getting scary real-looking.

I have made many custom morphs that I didn't like to assist V4 with making breathing a bit more realistic. And the Inhale morph wasn't supported in many of the clothes I used - so I had to make it for them.
    Genesis 2 has different morphs in the shapes (Actor) collection that can make breathing incredibly real! Separate controls for the tummy, the ribs, chest, etc., yeah, I agree... DAZ 3D shouldn't really have to worry about any competition.

edited December 1969

It was made before this release and I haven't used it so ? how helpful it might be in Carrara but Ghastly has a rigged MH figure that will load in D/S ... over in his Sharecg.com gallery.
    That's a realy cool thing - Make people that you can share openly... sweet!
    edited December 1969

it is a good alternative for game creators though or redistributable projects

edited December 1969

Very good point. This will make it possible to include people in our distributable files!
    edited December 1969

Could be useful as a sculpting base as well for the likes of Zbrush. But as a standalone character, DAZ's current crop are generations ahead.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I think the MakeHuman team needs to expand their scope...they need to do a MakeQuadruped and MakeAviform projects now. For the quadruped, basic morphs could be bovine, equine, ovine, canine and feline, (and whatever the weasel family is)...then several different birds.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Interesting stuff...I will have to explore this (where is the bloody time going in my life?!?!?!?)

Python too...something else I may need to learn since LightWave supports it too.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Interesting stuff...I will have to explore this (where is the bloody time going in my life?!?!?!?)

Python too...something else I may need to learn since LightWave supports it too.

I know the feeling! Well... not the python or LightWave... but the time thing... yeah, I hear ya!