No bump with Lux in carrara shaders?

IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I was messing about trying to make some Carrara shades for use with the Lux render engine, in the bumpmap channel I placed a texture image, yet I notice when doing test renders that it says

Parameter 'bumpmap' not used

I notice this seems to happen if I use any of the operator options - multply - add, and so on

Is there a way to change it so that lux will use the option? There are some things that need to have a changeable amount for the bump.

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

This may not be the same problem you're experiencing, but with Reality 2 and Lux anytime a bump or tans map was saved as RGB instead of gray-scale, I would get the same message as you are, Opening the image and re-saving as a true gray-scale image would fix the problem.

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

oh, good idea, will report back what happens :)

edited March 2014

Okay - figured it out :) - if I set the shader to Lux scale it comes out okay :)

Needs to be a sticky on this forum, so we can post all our little hints/tips/tricks and/or problems to, help each other out :)

Post edited by IamArtistX on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Okay - figured it out :) - if I set the shader to Lux scale it comes out okay :)

Needs to be a sticky on this forum, so we can post all our little hints/tips/tricks and/or problems to, help each other out :)

Luxrender is in meters, so making sure the scale is correct makes sense...in DS, the default is cm. What is Carrara in, inches?

edited December 1969

I have no clue, but am willing to learn, but that will have to wait till the morning now, sleep is required for me :D

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Luxrender is in meters, so making sure the scale is correct makes sense...in DS, the default is cm. What is Carrara in, inches?

It's user defined. Carrara has diffferent scene magnitudes. A small scene will be measured in inches or centimeters (depending on preferences), a medium scene will be measured in feet or meters, and a large scene will be measured in hundreds of feet or hundreds of meters.

The wizard screen that appears when creating a new scene does default to inches and feet when describing the scene scale, but once in the scene, they display as metrics if that is how you set your preferences.

Picture_4.png
    252 x 418 - 43K
    Picture_3.png
    369 x 348 - 36K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

It's user defined. Carrara has diffferent scene magnitudes. A small scene will be measured in inches or centimeters (depending on preferences), a medium scene will be measured in feet or meters, and a large scene will be measured in hundreds of feet or hundreds of meters.

The wizard screen that appears when creating a new scene does default to inches and feet when describing the scene scale, but once in the scene, they display as metrics if that is how you set your preferences.

It's been way too long since I've used/played with Carrara...the most recent was the Open Beta, a couple years back...so that's the last look I've had.