Moving the content library

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have moved my content library to a new drive. How do I tell DAZ Studio where it now is?

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,527
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    I have moved my content library to a new drive. How do I tell DAZ Studio where it now is?

In the Content Library Pane, in the little menu -> Content Directory Manager. you tell DS where the content is. You also have to tell DIM (if you use it) where it is)
    I recommend to export your userdata then reimport metadata to get things right. You can manually tell the Content Manager System where it has moved.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited March 2014

Totte said:
    Sertorial said:

In the Content Library Pane, in the little menu -> Content Directory Manager. you tell DS where the content is. You also have to tell DIM (if you use it) where it is)
    I recommend to export your userdata then reimport metadata to get things right. You can manually tell the Content Manager System where it has moved.

Ok, thanks. So re-importing metadata will help with the smart content, but for the stupid content I also did a "scan known directories for files..."

Where do I export userdata to?

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,527
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    Totte said:
    Sertorial said:

Ok, thanks. So re-importing metadata will help with the smart content, but for the stupid content I also did a "scan known directories for files..."

Where do I export userdata to?'

Yes, so it knows where to find the real part (or you will get missing content errors).
    You could also just change the DS & Poser paths in the Content Library Manager in DS, and remove the old one. For DIM you must ADD the new one first before you can delete the old one (can't delete the last entry, like cutting the branch you are sitting

*crash*

on.

edited March 2014

Totte said:
    Sertorial said:
    Totte said:
    Sertorial said:

Where do I export userdata to?'

Yes, so it knows where to find the real part (or you will get missing content errors).
    You could also just change the DS & Poser paths in the Content Library Manager in DS, and remove the old one. For DIM you must ADD the new one first before you can delete the old one (can't delete the last entry, like cutting the branch you are sitting

*crash*

on.

Ok, so I changed the location of the content directories in the content library manager and now my stupid content is fine, but the smart content is all messed up with no icons showing. It seems to still be looking in the old file location for content? This is despite having exported my userdata before switching directories and then re-importing metadata afterwards.??

Actually - it's only the Poser format content in the content library that is showing correctly. The DAZ format stuff (and all the smart content) is not showing - it's still looking in the old location!!)

edited December 1969

I have a real problem here and I don't know what to do.

Because the new location wasn't working out, I switched DAZ to look back at the old location (which I had not deleted). But now it can't see any of my DAZ smart content. I've tried re-importing metadata but it does it suspiciously fast and nothing changes. Still no smart content.

What can I do? Is the meta data still there somewhere? Should I unistall DAZ and re-install completely?

(and for your info, I do not use DIM at all)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    I have a real problem here and I don't know what to do.

Because the new location wasn't working out, I switched DAZ to look back at the old location (which I had not deleted). But now it can't see any of my DAZ smart content. I've tried re-importing metadata but it does it suspiciously fast and nothing changes. Still no smart content.

What can I do? Is the meta data still there somewhere? Should I unistall DAZ and re-install completely?

(and for your info, I do not use DIM at all)

Can you post a screenshot of your Content Directory Manager with both DS formats and Poser formats expanded?

edited March 2014

Can you post a screenshot of your Content Directory Manager with both DS formats and Poser formats expanded?

Here you go. FYI - DAZ is managing to load any previously made scenes without any problem (using File > Open), so it's not that it can't find my content. It just can't seem to display it... The poser format content all looks normal, btw

Also, the search function doesn't work in the content library, e.g if I search on "Victoria" it finds nothing, despite the fact that I have a ton of V4 content!

Untitled-1.jpg
    723 x 652 - 86K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What is showing in the Content Library tab and what is empty?

edited December 1969

What is showing in the Content Library tab and what is empty?

Basically, the Poser content looks fine, but the DAZ content is all wrong. There are folders listed that used to not be visible in the content library (ie it used to have just the main folder types beneath My Library, now it has all kinds of other folders that shouldn't be there).

And there is nothing at all in Smart Content (see picture)

Should I just uninstall Studio and re-install?

Untitled-1.jpg
    1920 x 1037 - 298K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Studio has zero to do with content or the content showing, A reinstall will do nothing but add the CMS again. Here is what Might have happened, if you installed Content to the NEW folder the CMS crashed the Database because the path changed. When you move your Content folder you MUST delete your old Database and build a new one from the new folder location. The database is the only issue you have I believe.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Studio has zero to do with content or the content showing, A reinstall will do nothing but add the CMS again. Here is what Might have happened, if you installed Content to the NEW folder the CMS crashed the Database because the path changed. When you move your Content folder you MUST delete your old Database and build a new one from the new folder location. The database is the only issue you have I believe.

So where would I find the old database (to delete it)?

And when you say I must build a new one from the new folder location, do you mean "re-import metadata"?

edited March 2014

Yes I mean reimport metadata and or User data, but the old database must go first or the new location is just appended to the old database which will cause all kinds of errors. If you have a Default CMS install the Database should be here
    C:/ProgramData/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/Databases/ Here you clear out Or just delete the full DataBase folder.
    This is Win7 and ProgramData is a hidden folder, you will need to set the folder view to show hidden on.

If your Mac based I'll get Totte to help you as I do not know the folder location on a Mac OS.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited March 2014

Jaderail said:
    Yes I mean reimport metadata and or User data, but the old database must go first or the new location is just appended to the old database which will cause all kinds of errors. If you have a Default CMS install the Database should be here
    C:/ProgramData/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/Databases/ Here you clear out Or just delete the full DataBase folder.
    This is Win7 and ProgramData is a hidden folder, you will need to set the folder view to show hidden on.

If your Mac based I'll get Totte to help you as I do not know the folder location on a Mac OS.

Ok, I cleared the contents of that folder and then restarted Studio and selected "re-import metadata" and userdata.

But the problem has not been fixed. Smart content is still all completely absent and the DAZ folders in the content library all still look the same

edited December 1969

Well piddle... are you sure the CMS is running? Check processes with DS open.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well piddle... are you sure the CMS is running? Check processes with DS open.

I don't see a process that looks like the CMS while Studio is running... what would it be called?

edited December 1969

DAZContentManagementService in the Services here is mine... with DS open....

Capture-001.png
    826 x 528 - 72K
    edited March 2014

Jaderail said:
    DAZContentManagementService in the Services here is mine... with DS open....

Sorry I was looking on Processes, not services.

Yes it is there, but it's showing as "stopped"

What does that mean?

edited December 1969

The CMS runs the Smart content from the Database and runs the DS search function. Try this Close DS go to your Start button, open All Programs go to the DAZ 3D folder open it Find the Content Management Folder. In it is a Start DAZ Content Manager and Stop DAZ Content Manager short cut. Try the start and then open DS, If still nothing try running the Start with DS Open and then see if its running in Task manager. We need it to fix your issue.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The CMS runs the Smart content from the Database and runs the DS search function. Try this Close DS go to your Start button, open All Programs go to the DAZ 3D folder open it Find the Content Management Folder. In it is a Start DAZ Content Manager and Stop DAZ Content Manager short cut. Try the start and then open DS, If still nothing try running the Start with DS Open and then see if its running in Task manager. We need it to fix your issue.

Aha! I can start the CMS like you said, then if I open Studio I can re-import my smart content and it's showing up.

But Studio can't seem to call the CMS when it launches...?

edited March 2014

The CMS is supposed to start when you boot your PC. I'll talk to a few others when they get up (I'm night shift) and see if they can figure out why your CMS is not starting auto as it should. At least we are half way there. Better than not at all IMHO.

EDIT: You have Rebooted at least once after to deleted the old Database? If not a bad database has been known to kill the CMS. Once you have your content again try a reboot and see if it runs on your PC start.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The CMS is supposed to start when you boot your PC. I'll talk to a few others when they get up (I'm night shift) and see if they can figure out why your CMS is not starting auto as it should. At least we are half way there. Better than not at all IMHO.

EDIT: You have Rebooted at least once after to deleted the old Database? If not a bad database has been known to kill the CMS. Once you have your content again try a reboot and see if it runs on your PC start.

ok, re-booted and the CMS is now running. So I opened up Studio and re-imported the metadata. Now all the smart content shows, but if I close Studio and restart it, it's all gone again. In other words, I will have to re-import all my metadata every time of run Studio. Is that normal?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

No...that is not normal.

After you shut down Studio and restart it...is the CMS still running?

There are two possibilities...something on your system is blocking the CMS service, intermittently. It could be security software, but usually that blocks it all the time. Or it could be something else using the port that the CMS uses. In the CMS folder, there is a configuration file, ContentManagementServer.;ini (on Windows). In there is a line Port, There are two ports listed with one being commented out. Switch which one is commented, save and exit. Do this with DS and the CMS both closed. Depending on what is installed and configuration there are other things that will use the same ports...

The other is that the CMS is set to manually start, as opposed to automatically start. Go to the Services control applet (whatever they are calling it now) and make sure that the CMS is set to 'automatic', not 'manual' or 'disabled'.

edited March 2014

This is all so annoying as it was working fine before! I shouldn't have tried moving the content library to a new drive :(

mjc1016 said:
    No...that is not normal.

Yes. CMS seems to be running the whose time, from when I boot the PC to when I close it down. Whether Studio is open or not. (don't know if that's normal)

mjc1016 said:
    In the CMS folder, there is a configuration file, ContentManagementServer.;ini (on Windows). In there is a line Port, There are two ports listed with one being commented out. Switch which one is commented, save and exit. Do this with DS and the CMS both closed. Depending on what is installed and configuration there are other things that will use the same ports...

There are two references to port in the .INI file, which do you mean? Here is the relevant section

[HTTP]
    ; Port to listen HTTP protocol.
    ; 0 - do not use HTTP port.
    Port_HTTP=0

[SSL]
    ; Secure port to listen by VServer.
    ; 0 - do not use a secure port.
    ; Port_SSL=15434
    Port_SSL=0

; The path, where a certificate is stored.
    ; SSL_Certificate=dummy.pem
    ; The path, where a private key is stored.
    ; SSL_PrivateKey=key.pem

[SNMP]
    ; SNMP port to listen by VServer.
    ; 0 - do not use a SNMP port.
    ; Port_SNMP=15161
    Port_SNMP=0

edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    This is all so annoying as it was working fine before! I shouldn't have tried moving the content library to a new drive :(

mjc1016 said:
    No...that is not normal.

Yes. CMS seems to be running the whose time, from when I boot the PC to when I close it down. Whether Studio is open or not. (don't know if that's normal)

mjc1016 said:
    In the CMS folder, there is a configuration file, ContentManagementServer.;ini (on Windows). In there is a line Port, There are two ports listed with one being commented out. Switch which one is commented, save and exit. Do this with DS and the CMS both closed. Depending on what is installed and configuration there are other things that will use the same ports...

There are two references to port in the .INI file, which do you mean? Here is the relevant section

[HTTP]
    ; Port to listen HTTP protocol.
    ; 0 - do not use HTTP port.
    Port_HTTP=0

[SSL]
    ; Secure port to listen by VServer.
    ; 0 - do not use a secure port.
    ; Port_SSL=15434
    Port_SSL=0

; The path, where a certificate is stored.
    ; SSL_Certificate=dummy.pem
    ; The path, where a private key is stored.
    ; SSL_PrivateKey=key.pem

[SNMP]
    ; SNMP port to listen by VServer.
    ; 0 - do not use a SNMP port.
    ; Port_SNMP=15161
    Port_SNMP=0

Actually, there should be a third one, under the General section...

And, yes, it should run all the time.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Actually, there should be a third one, under the General section...

I can't see an alternative port that's commented out though

[GENERAL]
    ; If 1 then disables DNS resolving. 0 - Enabled.
    DisableDNS=1
    ; 1 - Flush after any data modification.
    ; 0 - Default value - no flushing.
    FlushEachDataChanges=0
    ; If 0 then vServer properties are changeable.
    HostingMode=0
    ; Specifies the CONNECTION timeout in seconds for a client.
    ; 0 - means no timeout.
    MaxConnectionTimeout=240
    ; Specifies the IDLE timeout in minutes for a client.
    ; On timeout VServer will disconnect that client.
    ; 0 - means infinite timeout.
    MaxIdleClientTimeout=20
    ; Specifies the TRANSFER timeout in seconds for a client.
    ; 0 - means no timeout.
    MaxTransferTimeout=240
    ; Non-secure port to listen. 0 - not listen.
    ; Port=15432
    Port=27997
    ; 1 - Check privileges.
    ; 0 - Default value - no privileges checks.
    PrivilegesEnable=0
    ; The path, where sysdatabase are stored.
    SystemCatalog=C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases
    ; The path, where projects are stored.
    SystemProjectCatalog=projects
    ; How many threads to have in pool. Range 1-N.
    Threads=5
    ; The full path, where backups are stored. (Folder must exist)
    ; param absence - means - clients may choose any folder on the server.
    ; SystemBackupCatalog=
    ; 1 - Allow to receive not-encrypted passwords.
    ; 0 - Reject connection with not-encrypted passwords.
    UseOldPasswords=0

edited December 1969

Port=15432 is the one commented out; Port=27997 is the one being used. Switch the ';' from the 15432 line to the other one..

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Port=15432 is the one commented out; Port=27997 is the one being used. Switch the ';' from the 15432 line to the other one..

Can't save the edited INI. Acess denied. Despite the fact that the CMS is stopped.

edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    mjc1016 said:

Can't save the edited INI. Acess denied. Despite the fact that the CMS is stopped.

Access is denied because you don't have permission to save to the location the file is...you must have UAC enabled or be using a 'normal' user account...and even if you are in an admin account, it still may not have full access. Bloody Windows...stupid ideas...make it impossible for a user to do anything worthwhile, while barely slowing down malware that ALWAYS seems to find a way to elevate its privileges/status. It's like they've taken the worst account control features of all the other OS around and rolled them into something truly crappy.

That may be your whole problem, to begin with...account privileges/access...

I gave up on Windows in the XP era, so I can't say HOW to get full access to the file so you can actually write it back to where it needs to be...but you should be able to save it to your Documents folder...then log out and log in as Admin and move it...maybe.

edited March 2014

To write the new file they need to do two things. First log in as Admin then go to UAC and set it to FULL off. Then save out the file and go back and set UAC back to their normal protection level.

EDIT also check the File flags, the file might default to READ only, if so set it to Read Write until saved then set it back to read only once re-saved.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    To write the new file they need to do two things. First log in as Admin then go to UAC and set it to FULL off. Then save out the file and go back and set UAC back to their normal protection level.

I've been dealing with computers/computer support since the early 1980s...and NEVER in all that time has anything been as convoluted as the current way Windows has of providing 'security'.