Animated hair growth

treecatttreecatt Posts: 6
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm interested in creating a short sequence of hair growing longer using Carrara 8.5. I've tried keyframes but that doesn't work. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to accomplish this?

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's controlled in the shader room under the Hair Length Shader.

Screen_Shot_2014-02-10_at_10.48_.22_PM_.png
    745 x 672 - 149K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

It's controlled in the shader room under the Hair Length Shader.

Y'know, I never thought about trying that! That's a really cool idea.

edited December 1969

I would imagine you could even use an animation in there!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm doing a quickie 5min render...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

Kevin you obviously have not seen all my scary animated fur videos
    (yes image sequences work in length channel too!)

edited December 1969

I have a 15 GB per month bandwidth limit with the satellite dish and it is shared between four people, so I tend to try and be considerate and not watch a lot of streaming videos.

• treecatttreecatt Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the guidance. Just what I was looking for. :-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

I have a 15 GB per month bandwidth limit with the satellite dish and it is shared between four people, so I tend to try and be considerate and not watch a lot of streaming videos.
    :lol: given the vast amount of crap I have uploaded to youtube about 800 videos, that is not surprising!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

They created a server only for you :-)!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

I have a 15 GB per month bandwidth limit with the satellite dish and it is shared between four people, so I tend to try and be considerate and not watch a lot of streaming videos.That would kill me! Ouch!

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2021

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I have a 15 GB per month bandwidth limit...

Ha, years later I find myself in the same boat. You about done with those cookies?

About streaming - I just noticed something funky about Netflix after D/L to an Android device. I think they are playing around with the content "mid-stream" if you will, to cut down on file size. More on this in another thread, grrrr!

Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Hello, I don't use Carrara per se but was thinking about two things: multiple transparent layers (as in trees or eyelashes or whatever, but could also be for bits of fur) in 3-D modelling, and bandwidth. Should I be concerned about the new front page on DAZ 3D that has the little bits of animation eg. the figures move slightly and blink their eyes? I hope I'm not constantly re-downloading all of that with any of my browsers... for instance I'm on Windows 10 and Firefox right now but I also still use Win7 several times a week. On my largest and newest Windows 7 box there's an unlimited feed but this could change at any time.

I just noticed a PA doing this here in the Genesis 8.1 line of figures: https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/82464/i/falsieseyelashesforgenesis8108daz3d.jpg

Very briefly, am I reading this right? Eg. multiple layers (if you will) of similar geometry, with different transparency maps one on top of another (or alternately very close together) to create a thicker or more random pattern?

I have only tried rendering this sort of thing once and right away I messed something up with the Normal maps - I got something that looked like operatic makeup, eg. THICK mascara for the people up in the cheap seats.

I think this is the first time I've seen normal mapping on transparent planes like leaves and hair and stuff. Or at least that is what it seems like.

Well, Carrara dynamic hair doesn't use transparency maps - it's a shader-driven strand-based hair.

Normal maps will act as a form of displacement whether there's a transparency applied or not. So if we don't see the displacement due to transparency, it would be a lot more efficient to remove the map from the channel.

For something like eyelashes, however, where the transparency is causing an otherwise flat plane to look like multile strands, I can totally see how a normal map could make them look a lot better for those close-up shots.

The iris of Alita Battle Angel's eyes has more geometry in the modeling than the entire 3D model of Golem from the Lord of the Rings. Do we really need that? Maybe not. But she truly is an incredible piece of art in my eyes!

Way back in the day I had a text book that I later gave to my pal, evilproducer, the first time we met up in RL. This book described in great detail how to model a human figure and rig it for animation. It included instructions for vertex (Box) modeling and Nurb modeling. Both versions included individually modeled eyelash hairs.

An interesting thing about that book - when it discussed 'the various software used for 3D modeling and animation', they included Carrara in that list! So Cool!

So the moral of this story is: Buy Carrara and come in here and get to having fun! We'll help you to ease in or go balls to the wall - whichever you prefer!

Sounds like Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Bird maybe? I only have the older edition.

I'm lost as to the "Battle Eyes Angel" but every now and then I make a bit of progress in rendering, ah, simple surfaces.

Roman_K2 said:

I'm lost as to the "Battle Eyes Angel" but every now and then I make a bit of progress in rendering, ah, simple surfaces.

Alita Battle Angel's Eyes

Roman_K2 said:

Sounds like Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Bird maybe? I only have the older edition.

I'm sure that even the older version is Excellent! The Third Edition is updated with the newly (then) adopted "Linear Workflow" and other advancements, but I'm sure the previous editions still have the great lighting and camera use lessons!