does it matter which computer I use for render times?

I just started using daz and after a week of tweeking and figuring out how it all works I have finally started to render my first still picture. I am doing it on my laptop which has a i7 7700hq processor, 12 gb ram, and a gtx 1060 3gb card and its taken 20 minutes to get 61% done. If I was using daz on my desktop which has a i7 9700k , 16 gb ram, and a rtx 2070 8gb would it be faster?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Unlike us you have both computers right there. Try it for yourself.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

It should be faster and you should be able to render larger scenes with your GPU (graphics card) on the desktop with RTX 2070, if you are rendering with Iray. Be sure to select your GPU in the Render Settings options. With only a 3GB GPU on the laptop, you may be rendering with CPU now, which is much much slower. Daz recommends at least a 4GB GPU for Iray rendering.

• I Just upgraded from a 1060 6Gb to a 2070 8Gb , you can expect renders taking less then half the time.

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163

Hmm ... Which is faster a horse or a racecar?

Generally unless you're severely bottlenecked somewhere on your rig GPU is the go to for faster renders. But seeing you have an RTX and an i9 I think you know this, and are here just to brag. ::He said slightly jealously sitting next to his 2yr old 1080ti and 7820x::

• You should obviously get faster rending times, but even then, something is off here. Your first still image render took you 20 minutes to only get to 61 percent? Can you share what sort of settings you're using, like image size, iray iterations and ect.,? And maybe how complex your scene is? I only ask because I'm new here as well, and my first few renders so far have only took me about 10 minutes from start to finish each, and I'm on an old gtx 760 4gb variant, with 8gb ram

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163

On his laptop he's likely running single channel ram with 1 12gb stick, (DDR2, 3 or 4? what speed?) and the 1060 3GB (only 3GB Vram and possibly less cores). So more like a horse with a broken leg.

Your 4GB card should out perform his old 3GB.

Plus with your 8gb ram you could be running a 4 n 4 dual channel memory config (DDR3?) which could be faster than 12gb on single channel.

Thats before even considering scene complexity, size, or render settings (IRay vs 3delight, scene complexity, sampling, convergance, denoising).

Might find this interesting. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/p1#Section%203.1