JonnyRay's Tutorials

JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
edited February 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

In addition to linking my tutorials in the official DAZ Studio Tutorials thread, I figured I'd create a thread where people can post questions about them if they have any. I'll update this post with links to new tutorials as I get them resurrected from my archives or written from my noggin. :)

Displaced Bumps - Discusses and demonstrates the difference between bump maps and displacement maps
Is This Normal? - Follow on to the previous discussion addressing how normal maps work

Three Lights - Describes a three spot light rig that I use for portrait style renders

DAZ Studio Displacement in Carrara 8 - Technically this isn't a DAZ Studio tutorial, but it does demonstrate topics like how C8 handles displacement and creation of normal maps from displacement map files

Three part tutorial on how 3D surfaces interact with light
3D Surfaces and Light (Part 1) - Diffuse, Specular and Ambient
3D Surfaces and Light (Part 2) - Basic surface shader
3D Surfaces and Light (Part 3) - colors and texture maps
3D Surfaces and Light (Examples) - Example images and explanations

Additional Surface Information / Tutorials...
Anisotropic vs Isotropic Surfaces
Light and SSS Surfaces
SSS - Why Should I Care?
Additional Points about SSS

Rendering Hair in Computer Graphics
Hair Rendering - Current State
Basic Technology of 3D Lights
3D Lights - Shapes

Post edited by JonnyRay on

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

Added the link to part 1 of my surface and light tutorial.

edited December 1969

Part 2 of 3 of my Surface and Light tutorial is now posted on my blog as well

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I really hope you continiue your surface and Light tutorial ^^;
    now I read part 1, part 2, may need to read once again.

I have tried to learn ds shaders,(lenderman shaders)
    but I thought I must need to understand basic theory of 3D
    and lenderman sl treat each type lays.

I have read 3deligth documents about lenderman shadeing language,
    but I need to get more basic knowledge to understand full meaning ^^;

then it is different question,,

I hope to see .sl code (not compiled) with actual shaders

but how can I see about shaders mady by shader mixer?
    or we can only see compiled shader file as .sdl ? @@;

edited December 1969

Thank you for the feedback. :) I have at least 2 more parts to the surfaces discussion planned. One is on color. The other will be a visual test showing how modifying the basic settings while keeping the others constant changes the output.

I believe (although I can't confirm until I get home tonight) that Shader Mixer only generates compiled code. Shader Builder on the other hand will show you the RSL code when you compile the network.

For some good samples of RSL code to use to learn from...

RenderMan Companion Shaders
    Fundza

Fundza in particular is very good as they are tutorials which walk though building some shaders from a very basic version through a more complex model.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

These tutorials will come in handy, thank you. :)

edited December 1969

I'm glad you find them useful. :)

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

I glanced; thank you. I will read deeper after dinner. :cheese:

edited December 1969

After reading your tutorilal, I thought, if ambient color and strength can be replaced with mixed light color and strength.

eg Now I set one plane in the scene, with diffuse color what I like, but no ambient (strongneth 0%)
    and set only one distant white (255 255 255) light , light strongneth 100% in the scene.

then, I add new Red light . set light Color , (255, 0, 0) , light strongneth 70%,,, no fall off.
    then render the scene

Then,, If I hope to get same effect without adding red light,
    set Ambient color of plane to "red" (255, 0, 0) , Ambient Strongneth 70%.
    I feel it get same render, is not it right?

edited January 2014

Not exactly the same effect, no.

The difference is that the ambient() function in the rendering engine does not care about the direction of the light, it doesn't cast shadows, etc. In your lighting example, you would need a globe of distant lights at very low intensity with shadows turned off, etc. to get the same effect as using the ambient channel.

The best way for me to think of the ambient channel in the surface shader is that we're telling the rendering engine "If no other light source in the scene hits the surface, use these values to simulate the indirect light that is bouncing around the scene."

edited December 1969

Ah,, I did not say detail clearly, sorry. ^^;

I know those difference, (shadow or specular, or lay direction etc) when add light.
    So that, In my test, I used daz disatnt light and simple plane.
    all light lay face vertically from top to plane.
    then set no shadow. all specular turn to zero to get same effect. (reflection, reflaction turn off too)
    to check only added light color and surface diffuse color, h how work in daz studio.

as for me,, the purpose of the test was ,
    I often feel strange about the effect when I add another colored light in the scene.
    sometimes I felt it seems not work at all,,,

then when I use the formula of ambient and diffuse which you discribed all detais,
    seems be applicable to predict the effect.

eg ,, there is surface with diffuse color ( 0, 227, 175) . then I add red light (255,0,0)
    I know, It make no effect about the surface,, (without specular, or shadow etc)
    but I did not understand, why it work so,, before I hoped, it should be add each RGB value^^;
    (now I understand, it is perfectly wrong ^^;)

surface diffuse (R,G,B) and light color, and intensity work as same as, diffuse and ambient color value of the surface.
    (not add, multiple these value) , then Now,, I can understand meaning,
    DS simulate the indirect light that is bouncing around the scene.”

edited December 1969

The effect of coloring a light and how that changes the appearance of the surface is the primary focus for part 3 of my surface tutorial. :)

edited December 1969

I expect it :lol: thank you!!

edited December 1969

Updated the OP with a link to Part 3

3D Surfaces and Light (Part 3)

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

Very good tutorials.
    Thank you very much

edited December 1969

DrPingy said:
    Very good tutorials.
    Thank you very much
    Thank you, I'm glad you find them helpful. :)
    edited January 2014

Thanks to kitakoredaz for catching a typo in 3D Surfaces and Light (Part 1) in regards to how Glossiness changes specular hightlights! I've updated the post, and have also added some information about why at extreme settings for Glossiness (i.e. roughness) the specular highlight seems to disappear.

edited December 1969

I'm hoping to get "Part 4" of my 3-part surfaces and light tutorial published this weekend. I've been thinking that after that I may do something along the lines of "Common beginner mistakes" ... I would purposefully create images with some of the common mistakes that we see in new artist images. The sorts of things that make those of us trying to provide feedback sigh and think "Another of those ... how do I put this?" Curious what people might think of that idea, and any suggestions on what mistakes I could make so others don't have to. :)

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited January 2014

JonnyRay said:
    I'm hoping to get "Part 4" of my 3-part surfaces and light tutorial published this weekend. I've been thinking that after that I may do something along the lines of "Common beginner mistakes" ... I would purposefully create images with some of the common mistakes that we see in new artist images. The sorts of things that make those of us trying to provide feedback sigh and think "Another of those ... how do I put this?" Curious what people might think of that idea, and any suggestions on what mistakes I could make so others don't have to. :)

I'm learning a lot from your tutorials thus far. Thank you for the ones on lighting! I'd love a series of tutorials on common newbie mistakes and how to correct them or prevent them. ;)

Trish

Edit: P.S. I don't have any suggestions at the moment on mistakes but perhaps you could begin with examples of what makes you cringe when you see an image that was obviously done by a new user.

Post edited by Stormlyght on
    edited December 1969

I'm learning a lot from your tutorials thus far. Thank you for the ones on lighting! I'd love a series of tutorials on common newbie mistakes and how to correct them or prevent them. ;)

Trish
    Thanks Trish. I'm glad you've found them useful.

Edit: P.S. I don't have any suggestions at the moment on mistakes but perhaps you could begin with examples of what makes you cringe when you see an image that was obviously done by a new user.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that spawned this idea. One group I'm in has several people who are new to graphics in general. There are some predictable "newbie" mistakes in a few of their images. Other images show great potential, but when one is trying to provide constructive feedback, it can be hard to do when there isn't much positive to say about their latest creation.

One thing I don't like to do is say "I like this" and that's all. I don't feel it is helpful to the artist. And if it isn't true, then I'm really doing them a disservice. On the other hand, I don't want to be a jerk and say something like "That sux. You must be a n00b at this hmm?"

So I was thinking if I could put up some images that I create, I can "rip them apart" without worrying that I'm going to hurt some budding artist's feelings.

edited February 2014

Hi,, thank you ,,today I read your Tutrorials about light and color, yes,, it seems what I have understood gradually now days^^;
    (yeah,, I have not noticed these basic things,, I perfectly often igonored ,,)

then,, next problem for me is opacity color strength and texture of daz default shaders.
    (or renderman basic shader act as same? I do not know ^^;)

because,, I believed when start daz studio, if I apply color texture, it shoud be treated as grey scale texture for opacity strength map.
    but it is different.. then if I apply color map with opacity strength on the plane,
    then put spot light behind it, it can be gel light. but the light R,G,B is inverse.

or it can be simply change surface too. not treat as grey scale map, as same as bump or displaciment etc,,
    I understand,, half,, but I hope to clear understand why it happen as same as your ambient or light guide
    with simple formula,,,

I hoooooooooooooooope,, if you plan to add next tutroriall,, guide about daz default shader, opacity strength and
    what happen when apply color texture too^^;

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

I'm glad that you have found the descriptions so far valuable, Kitakore :)

What you are describing is light transmission. A discussion of reflection, refraction, and transmission is on my list of things I'd like to write up. I just need to figure out where it works in. :smirk:

edited December 1969

I've updated the OP with a link to my Examples portion of my 3D Surfaces tutorial series.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

Thanks for these. I've been meddling with this stuff for years, but not in any logical way. These days I am trying to actually understand some of this stuff, to be able to get more predictable results. Planning, from me? Shocking! :bug:

edited December 1969

Thanks for these. I've been meddling with this stuff for years, but not in any logical way. These days I am trying to actually understand some of this stuff, to be able to get more predictable results. Planning, from me? Shocking! :bug:
    Cool. :) I'm glad you find them helpful. I don't think everyone needs to get to a level where they are writing their own shaders, but I do think that when 3D artists understand how the tools use those values they're setting, they can make better choices. And hopefully advance their skill and artwork as well.
    edited December 1969

Added a link to the OP for my discussion of anisotropic surfaces.

edited December 1969

I've posted Part 1 of my technical discussion of 3D lights. This one is pretty basic just covering the types of lights we have in DAZ Studio.
    http://karl3d.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/3d-lights-shapes/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

One thing...it's gobos...not globos.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    One thing...it's gobos...not globos.
    Thanks. Fixed that. Not sure how that "l" wandered in there. :P
    edited December 1969

I have added a page to my blog (where I keep my 3D tutorial articles) with links to other tutorials around the Internet. Would be happy to have any other suggestions that people might have to add to this.
    http://karl3d.wordpress.com/additional-tutorials/

edited February 2014

Added a link to the OP for my new post about Light and SSS Surfaces. It isn't about fine tuning an SSS enabled shader, rather it is about the physics of light interacting with surfaces which have subsurface scattering. The intent was to educate on what real world phenomenon the shader is trying to simulate.