Printed documentation for DS

chrbou2001chrbou2001 Posts: 117
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What i would really appreciate when there would be a printed documentation for DS. I know that there is a good docu on YouTube etc. but it is annoying when you have to look during your work.
It´s much more comfortable if you can look into a book instead of switching between different sites or pdf-files.
Don´t misunderstand me - it´s great to receive updates on the docu as pdf files and looking to videoclips when you have problems.
But therefor i know Poser better then DS because of the printed documentation (which is not really good but better than nothing - and there exist enough books for better understanding).
So i would pay for such a documentation and DAZ should think twice for presenting DS in two versions - as pure donwload and a package with a DVD and printed documentation (or the Print sold seperatly).

Comments

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    it's more and more uncommon to have printed manuals with software, but normally you have the manual as PDF. This could be printed if necessary (maye only the chapters you really need).

But +1 for the videos. I would also prefer to have PDFs instead of videos for manuals/tutorials because there are less time consuming when you try to learn something new and it's easier to go forth and back.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

ruekaka said:
    Hi,
    it's more and more uncommon to have printed manuals with software, but normally you have the manual as PDF. This could be printed if necessary (maye only the chapters you really need).

But +1 for the videos. I would also prefer to have PDFs instead of videos for manuals/tutorials because there are less time consuming when you try to learn something new and it's easier to go forth and back.

Not just software....my smart tv came with a pdf online rather than a physical copy of a manual. ; )
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I prefer printed manuals. It's easy for me to highlight or jot down my own notes in the margin. I recently purchased Figures, Characters, and Avatars Second Edition. I learned more from it in 2 hours than I learned in 10 months with YouTube and DAZ documentation. Old Wiki without images is ridiculous. I am not intuitive about CG and really need step by step instruction.

• chrbou2001chrbou2001 Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

Maybe i am old but i prefer printed materials. All the shit with manuals to be downloaded (esp. with household products - i know many people not questioning how good the product is but if there is a printed documentation in). And with computers etc: of course you can print the manual. Think about you will print only the sides you need - in a typical manual about three quarter, that will be hundreds of pages as well as the amount of ink cartridges - a printed manual often will be cheaper (and is more easy to be placed in the bookcase).
    But as i wrote - it is great to update the documentation with pdf-files instead of buying a new one.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Maybe i am old but i prefer printed materials. All the shit with manuals to be downloaded (esp. with household products - i know many people not questioning how good the product is but if there is a printed documentation in). And with computers etc: of course you can print the manual. Think about you will print only the sides you need - in a typical manual about three quarter, that will be hundreds of pages as well as the amount of ink cartridges - a printed manual often will be cheaper (and is more easy to be placed in the bookcase).
    But as i wrote - it is great to update the documentation with pdf-files instead of buying a new one.

I used to feel that way but since I got my iPad I must admit that I really like reading pdf's on it. I hate doing it on a pc though...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited July 2012

Just about everyone prefers printed manuals. But they take too long to produce to really be feasible. Particularly not for software that gets an update about every 3-4 months that changes things. It takes longer than that to get the manual written, corrected laid-out and ready to print, let alone printing and distributing it.

A series of .pdfs addressing specific subjects would be very helpful though. Even with the hassle of needing to keep track of whether you've downloaded the proper one for your version of the program.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I recall unpacking my first computer. All these pieces ... how does one set it up? So I carefully put it together how I figured it might go. When it was finally up and running lo and behold, a .pdf manual inside the computer ... on how to unpack and put together the computer!

Sometimes one really does need the printed manual.