UV'd sphere help

2»

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Not understanding. This is a UV map not a texture map so resizing that would, I would think, be done in a program that understands and can create UV's.

I heard back from the maker of the UV program I use and he said basically what Richard mentioned, that when you resize a UV like that you loose all the seamless tiling aspects. So I guess it is what it is. If you look at the Genesis mapping straight you DO see that everything is right on top of the other but split into different maps for texturing. SO I guess MY "ideal" is really not that ideal! lol

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Not understanding. This is a UV map not a texture map so resizing that would, I would think, be done in a program that understands and can create UV's.

I heard back from the maker of the UV program I use and he said basically what Richard mentioned, that when you resize a UV like that you loose all the seamless tiling aspects. So I guess it is what it is. If you look at the Genesis mapping straight you DO see that everything is right on top of the other but split into different maps for texturing. SO I guess MY "ideal" is really not that ideal! lol

Okay ...

1. You made a .obj and uvmapped it. Exported it out and tested and decided to move the uvmap around.

2. That's okay ... as long as you also exported out the new .obj file which is what contains the new uvmap information.

3. You have a .png or .jpeg of the uvmap created somehow to texture.

4. You put uvmap map into Gimp, or PSP, or ??? and also the picture of the sky/clouds or whatever you were wanting on it.

5. You make the picture fit into the uvmap space. This is done using layers ... so before saving out the new texture image, you can hide the uvmap crosshatch.

6. You import the .obj into D/S and using the Surface Tab apply the new texture image to the sphere and it should look just fine.

7. I know this because I have done like this because I don't like resizing Jupiter rectangles to fit on Square uvmaps ... so I made rectangular uvmaps to fit the planet pictures instead.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,197
    edited December 1969

You could also set up two uv mappings on the sphere - the default using the full uv space and the one using just a corner - then use Map Transfer in DS to make a version of your seamless pattern on the new uvs.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 2013

Got it figured out . Thanks folks! :-)

SphereEnviron-Fini.jpg
    1146 x 914 - 349K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Wonderful :-)