OT Cathedral of Notre Dame fire

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

Has anyone heard of the fire of the cathedral of Notre Dame?  It is so sad.  Has anyone heard if it collapsed or not yet?

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

The roof and the tallest spire have collapsed as far as I know. Tragic.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

The roof (including the spire) has collapsed into the building. Most of the stained glass is likely destroyed or nearly so.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

The roof and the tallest spire have collapsed as far as I know. Tragic.

Yes it is.  One of my housemates mentioned it when we picked her up today from her program.  This is not good for Paris, France.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

the only good thing about it is that its on an isle in the Seine, so its unlikely that other buildings will get affected

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    Linwelly said:

the only good thing about it is that its on an isle in the Seine, so its unlikely that other buildings will get affected

The cathedral is not the only building on the Ile de la Cité, and there's very little separation -- maybe 40-50 feet? -- between the northern wall of the cathedral and the adjacent buildings -- which themselves are part of a very densely built-up area. However, I haven't heard any reports of fire spreading beyond the cathedral at this time.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Really sad news. I'm grateful that there appear to be no casualties and hope the firefighters stay safe.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

This is devastating. Centuries of art and culture gone! Watching a live French feed. They’re not sure if they can save any of it! Supposedly early on, firefighters rushed in to save stored art and statues were out being cleaned.

• They still don't know if they will be able to save the 2 towers (front part).

If you don't know the cathedral here is the wikipedia page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris#cite_note-partofspirecollapses-1

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited April 2019
  • DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828
    edited April 2019

A huge and tragic loss.so much history, art, and relics lost.  My heart goes out to the people of Paris and to all those around the world affected by this loss.

Post edited by Daikatana on

Now, according to a French TV feed, they think they can save the major structure and two towers. (My French education is coming in handy now...) 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

According to Reuters a firefighter has been seriously injured :(

• Yes you're right Wonderland that what they just said on TV too.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

This is absolutely tragic. :( All that historical and irreplaceable art and architecture - irreplaceable part of our human history. If you pray, please pray for the safety of the firefighters - they're risking their lives to save the art. 

• Seems to be not too serious according to Paris firemen's department. Hopefully.

BlueIrene said:

According to Reuters a firefighter has been seriously injured :(

• It seems the wooden frame (oaks dating 1200) has been totally burnt. It was nicknamed "the forest".

• Thadeus72Thadeus72 Posts: 408

thanks for your thread 

i'm french and i go to notre dame very often 

thanks to the person who tried to save this historical symbol

i hope there is no casualties and they  can save the rest

According to French TV feed, Fire is contained, ( but still burning...)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

A fire destroyed much of York Minster too but they, probably the UK taxpayers, paid to have it rebuilt. We couldn't tell it had been rebuilt.

•   I heard they're trying to save as much of the art as possible.  The cathedral was being repaired/renovated.  Some of the pictures show construction scaffolding.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of blunder here with the construction. 

I was completely unaware that it was built THAT long ago and it's made of wood.  Fascinating and very very sad.  And also amazing that a fire of this seriousness hasn't happened before this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2019

A fire destroyed much of York Minster too but they, probably the UK taxpayers, paid to have it rebuilt. We couldn't tell it had been rebuilt.

I don't think ther was anywhere near so much damage to York minster,  and the lightning bolt struck midway down the south transept, so the towers were not too badly damamged., whereas with notre dame the spire has totally collapsed.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

Amazing it survived this long but sadly as with anything that just increases the chances of ultimate loss

hope they can get that fire out ASAP broken heart

• Chohole said:

I don't think ther was anywhere near so much damage to York minster,  and the lightning bolt struck midway down the south transept, so the towers were not too badly damamged., whereas with notre dame the spire has totally collapsed.

The Frauenkirche in Dresden was rebuilt from bombed-out ruins, so it's quite possible that physical restoration will be possible.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Chohole said:

We was told by a local couple about the York Minster fire, they just said the roof but I think they must of meant just the part of the roof we was nearby to. Maybe they can rebuilt Notre Dame replacing wood and flamables with some sort of engineered carbon fibre and modern sturdier materials. Reading about the York Minster now that place has been on fre a half dozen times or more in the 1000 years since it was built.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029
    Chohole said:

Yes, unfortunately the spire is gone as well as most of the roof, the 8 centuries old wooden framework of the roof is completely gone, the wooden structure of the towers is reportedly damaged... The worst has been avoided as the structure should be saved now, but there's still a lot of work before the fire is totally out.

We will rebuild what we can but it will never be the same again.

I'm just so sad right now...

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I'm not religious but Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur were highlights of my visits to Paris. One of the best walks in the world is from Notre Dame de Paris down the Seine to Esplanade des Invalides to the Eiffel Tower to the Pont de Grenelle and the small scale Statue of Liberty. The cathredal may be repaired but it likely will never be the same.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576

...according to French officials, the fire has been brought under control and the towers are no longer threatened. Firefighters will remain overnight to continue cooling the smouldering remains of the wooden roof which collapsed into the structure .

Whether priceless artworks were destroyed is still not known and likely won't until if is safe for investigators to go inside.  Some of the stained glass is said to have exploded from the heat but the fate of the large west rose window is still unknown. Same for what is considered one of the most famous musical instruments in the world, the west end organ that with its 8,000 pipes, over 100 speaking stops, and 5 keyboards which was originally dates back to 1730 and was enlarged in the 1860s..

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited April 2019

I haven’t seen it written anywhere, but several photos of the western facade’s “Rose Window” (the big ornate round stained glass window) shows it to be mostly gone, I imagine the others probably suffered similar damage. That is going to be a hell of a thing to restore if any of that glass even survived...

They will probably be able to restore the cathedral, no matter how badly damaged,  but I can’t see it being completed for many decades. But things like the organ and some of the statues, will only ever be replicas, if they are replaced... unless I’m mistaken I think there was a relic or two enshrined in the steeple... stuff like that can never be replaced.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    McGyver said:

I haven’t seen it written anywhere, but several photos of the western facade’s “Rose Window” (the big ornate round stained glass window) shows it to be mostly gone, I imagine the others probably suffered similar damage. That is going to be a hell of a thing to restore if any of that glass even survived...

They will probably be able to restore the cathedral, no matter how badly damaged,  but I can’t see it being completed for many decades. But things like the organ and some of the statues, will only ever be replicas, if they are replaced... unless I’m mistaken I think there was a relic or two enshrined in the steeple... stuff like that can never be replaced.

The pipe organ won't be too bad. It's meant to be maintained and have parts replaced. The materials the original parts were made from still exist and craftsmen can duplicate, or closely enough, the original work.

The stained glass and the statues are the real problem.