Content Manager stops when Daz Studio 4.6 starts

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Ok, this is really strange. The Contenent Manager service on my Windows 7 machine flips to stopped whenever I start Daz Studio Pro 4.6.1.17 64bit. I can see it working fine when I run Carrara 8.5 pro, but as soon as Daz Studio starts, Content Manger stops! This means that none of my smart content is available in Daz Studio anymore when working with Genesis, a major flaw.

Any ideas? Or do I have to reinstall Daz Studio from scratch again?

Boojum the brown bunny

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

1) If you haven't exported user data recently, do that first, so you can restore the categories that are still working.
    2) Close DS and uninstall CMS.
    3) Reinstall CMS by running the installer in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms (if you have DIM installed) or by reinstalling DS. That will give you the latest CMS, which will reduce the chances of the problem recurring.
    4) Search for the file ContentDB.ind -- if you let CMS install to the default locations it will probably be in Program Files (x86) or ProgramData. I would search your entire hard drive with "Hidden and System Files" visible, in case you have more than one set of databases, which could also cause problems. That file is the index for the database.
    5) Stop CMS and delete ContentDB.ind, then start CMS and launch DS. Let DS rebuild the index -- it might take a minute or two.
    6) Scan for new content and categorize it.
    7) Close and restart DS, and see if the categorized items are staying. If they are, you should be good to go.
    8) If newly-categorized items are still disappearing, close DS, stop CMS, and delete all the files in the databases folder. Restart CMS, launch DS, and re-import metadata to get your user data back. It can take a long time, so don't panic if it seems to be taking a long time and the progress bar isn't moving.

• edited December 1969

Sadly, step 1 can not be done with Content Manager not running. Nothing happens when I try to export the user data. I'll go ahead and give the rest a try.

Boojum

• edited December 1969

So I get to step 5 (i have deleted the index at this point) where I start up DazContentManager after deleting the index. But when I start DazStudioPro 4.6 ContentManager stops again. The same thing happens when I start Daz Studio Pro 32bit. Content Manger stops. *sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to do another complete reinstall of Daz Studio.

Boojum the brown bunny

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Go to Step 8 and delete the databases.

• edited December 1969

ok, it's importing it now. At least content manager didn't crash when Daz Studio started this time. :)

Boojum the brown bunny

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

A Crashed Database will cause that issue. If the CMS works and then Stops the Database probably failed. I export User Data on a Weekly bases just for the possibility of it crashing. The only thing need then is to STOP the CMS delete the Bad Database file and Then Import it all back with the manager after turning CMS back on. Not sure you even need to Stop it for the delete but I do anyway.

EDIT: No Idea but it Seems to me the Exporting has helped my Database stay stable for a good long time. Probably only been lucky though.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Well it is working now, yay!!!! Thanks for the help! Step 8 did it.

Boojum

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

This is the problem I have and have had for a while, where do I find the databases folder to delete?

edited December 1969

This is the problem I have and have had for a while, where do I find the databases folder to delete?
    On a Win7 PC most often it is Found in ProgramData>DAZ 3D>Content Management Service>DataBase remember to only remove the Ini file. But removing the Full folder will also work, it just takes longer to redo your Metadata which you will not really notice.
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

OK I've done all that but CMS is still crashing on launch of DS and even if I start the CMS its still not working correctly. This latest build is a mess its the most unstable build for ages I've had so many crashes its ridiculous.

• AngjelAngjel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

1) If you haven't exported user data recently, do that first, so you can restore the categories that are still working.
    2) Close DS and uninstall CMS.
    3) Reinstall CMS by running the installer in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms (if you have DIM installed) or by reinstalling DS. That will give you the latest CMS, which will reduce the chances of the problem recurring.
    4) Search for the file ContentDB.ind -- if you let CMS install to the default locations it will probably be in Program Files (x86) or ProgramData. I would search your entire hard drive with "Hidden and System Files" visible, in case you have more than one set of databases, which could also cause problems. That file is the index for the database.
    5) Stop CMS and delete ContentDB.ind, then start CMS and launch DS. Let DS rebuild the index -- it might take a minute or two.
    6) Scan for new content and categorize it.
    7) Close and restart DS, and see if the categorized items are staying. If they are, you should be good to go.
    8) If newly-categorized items are still disappearing, close DS, stop CMS, and delete all the files in the databases folder. Restart CMS, launch DS, and re-import metadata to get your user data back. It can take a long time, so don't panic if it seems to be taking a long time and the progress bar isn't moving.

#8 Worked for me too perhaps a sticky for this one since it happens allot :)

edited December 2013

OK I've done all that but CMS is still crashing on launch of DS and even if I start the CMS its still not working correctly. This latest build is a mess its the most unstable build for ages I've had so many crashes its ridiculous.
    The CMS is a service, if your Anti Virus or Firewall or sometimes the OS itself see's the service as a NOT ALLOWED call to the System, the AV Firewall or OS will shut the service off. If you HAD the CMS and it worked then it FAILED and it was Not the database then most of the time a UPDATE to your Anti Virus, Firewall or OS has decided to set the CMS to NOT Allowed. If the CMS has never worked after doing all other steps posted then check that your PC is not shutting it off as a Not Allowed Service.

EDIT: It only takes ONE program to decide the CMS is bad to shut it OFF. If it is set to Allowed and still shuts off there is only one other culprit, that is a Custom install. Some custom configurations will fail no matter, as the OS simply will not see all needed files at ONCE that is needed for it to run.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • MsteneMstene Posts: 30
    edited March 2014

Never mind =) I think I fixed it on third reinstalled attempt

Post edited by Mstene on