Noir Shaders render thread: Let’s see what you’ve got! [Commercial]

Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
edited October 2013 in The Commons

It's been a couple of weeks since my Mephistopolis Noir shaders hit the store, and several folks snapped 'em up, especially the first few days. Thanks for all the support.

Now it's time to shine, everyone. If you like what you see, let's see 'em! Any and all Noir-style renders accepted, even ones with the other guy's shaders. I want to see what lurks behind the lenses of those baneful blue eyes...

(This replaces the previous Mephistopolis Noir thread in the Commercial Items forum.)

Graffitist_#3.png
800 x 800 - 1M
Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Here's a revisiting of the opening scene from the Commercial Thread.

Noir_Poster_#1.jpg
    1618 x 1000 - 1M
    edited October 2013

Come on, I know you bought it! And with 190 presets I'm sure you you can find something to paint with it! ;)

A bonny lass. 20th C. and DAZ Default Shaders.
    Dress and apron by Wilmap. Bonny Prince Charlie is the plaid preset.

Farewell,_bonny_lass.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
  • BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

I'm one of the few who couldn't get it :(

I'm really interested in see more line art and cell shading, though.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited October 2013

Working on one, Eustace :cheese: ;-)

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited October 2013

And here it is :cheese:

My first use of News Herald :)

The game's afoot

EDIT: Tweaked to reposition Holmes' pipe, replace the Mauser with a break-top revolver and include the details of 221B Baker street ;-)

The_games_afoot_final_dA.png
    1000 x 800 - 2M
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

And here it is :cheese:

My first use of News Herald :)

The game's afoot

I salivate upon the keyboard! Whee!

I like what you did with the tartan! Thanks!

edited October 2013

You're very welcome and thank you for the new MN, Eustace :-)

It had been a while since I used the Beta version and this release (when I figured out how to use it :-P ) is easier and more intuitive :-)

The tartan is what made the outfit; I had to kitbash Holmes' Inverness Cape/Ulster Coat (he's known to have worn both and is heavily associated with the former ;-P ) from the Mad Nurse's cape and a trenchcoat :lol: Tartan applied to both and the Deerstalker completed the look :P

[strike]I'm probably going to re-do this when I get a break-top revolver for Watson. While the Mauser is accurate for the period a respectable English gentleman probably wouldn't have used it :red:[/strike]

Working on another MN render ;-)

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

For manga fans :cheese:

Kerberos Panzer Cop

Kerberos_Panzer_Cop_forums.png
    1000 x 1273 - 751K
    edited December 1969

Nice one! It almost looks like a Soviet/Big-Brother kind of dystopian propaganda poster. (Rather what I meant by the "Electronic Hands" render in the promo shots!)

edited December 1969

Today's project: King Kong in the News-Herald style.

Keep 'em coming!

Kong_v4.jpg
    1618 x 1000 - 978K
    edited December 1969

Today's project: King Kong in the News-Herald style.

Keep 'em coming!

Whoa! :cheese: I wish I had thought to do this; I don't have the gorilla or biplanes though :lol: :-P

Nice one! It almost looks like a Soviet/Big-Brother kind of dystopian propaganda poster. (Rather what I meant by the "Electronic Hands" render in the promo shots!)

Thank you so much, Eustace; I was deliberately going for a propaganda poster vibe. With the AU scenario of Japan invaded by Germany during WWII it kind of made sense.

edited November 2013

A note to all: in the October Catch-Up Sale, the Mephistopolis Noir shaders are 44% off, actually!

This is the cheapest they've been offered yet!

edited December 1969

A group shot.

Dragon_Slayers.jpg
    1618 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Re-rendered an old DS3 scene in Meph. Noir, using a couple of new plaids I've set up since the store launch. DS3: 1000 x 1777 at 250 DD took a bit over an hour to render, and several hours to synchronize all of the dot densities... 8)

Original version was an entry in the Nov. 2011 Freebie Challenge, before I even began building my shaders.

Faunus.png
    1777 x 1000 - 2M
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

Very cool! i love all the extra work you've done to make these shaders as brilliant as they are :)

edited November 2013

If you have only downloaded the DS4 version, then the following files are not included. Download the missing presets here.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/a1jxjH8u/Mephistopolis_Gems_for_DS4-5.html

Any and all renders in Noir style (even my ShareCG freebies!) are welcome here!

edited December 1969

Let me give you a sneak peak at what's going on at R & D...

* The Mephistopolis Noir shader is due for a couple of upgrades.
    * I've got a Tartans expansion in the works

And there's this!

A real, honest, halftone-filtering Noir shader, from the lab that cooked up the Mephistopolis shaders. Behold Skunkville!

CMYK_#2.jpg
    592 x 750 - 701K
    RGB_#2.jpg
    592 x 750 - 654K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Let me give you a sneak peak at what's going on at R & D...

* The Mephistopolis Noir shader is due for a couple of upgrades.
    * I've got a Tartans expansion in the works

And there's this!

A real, honest, halftone-filtering Noir shader, from the lab that cooked up the Mephistopolis shaders. Behold Skunkville!

Very Nice!

Kendall

edited December 1969

Here's the original Mephistopolis Noir, on M5 and the Roaring 20s Gangster SuitPack for M3. Followed by the same in the upgraded version.

The main changes I've made are as follows:
    * PNG alpha channels are now routed from Diffuse to merge with the Opacity channel.
    * Normal maps are now supported.
    * I've adjusted the Dot Density code so that it is no longer dependant on the render height. This also greatly reduces the moiré effect.

Jack_-_M_Noir_New.jpg
    554 x 618 - 345K
    Jack_-_M_Noir_Old.jpg
    554 x 618 - 348K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Nice Eustace. I really like skunkville.

edited December 1969

In Skunkville, I've got a CMYK halftone and an RGB (actually CMY) halftone setup. The renders above are one of each, though I suppose it's difficult to tell which is which.

I'm going to try to include the HSI from Mephistopolis 20th Century if I can get away with it. The halftone filter is render-size independent, so the moiré issues with the first version are almost eliminated.

edited December 1969

And here's Percy in "Skunkville".

Walker_Halftone.png
    494 x 618 - 613K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Really like this shader Eustace

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Really like this shader Eustace

Thanks! :)

edited December 1969

Here's Skunkville, in Geometry Shell mode. First in Sepia (a la M. News-Herald) and then in CMYK.

The current scheme is as follows:
    Four shaders with two modes each, all named (internally) "Skunkville" so that presets will be completely interchangeable. Unfortunately that also means they won't apply over one another. One each in B&W/CMYK, B&W/CMY, Sepia/CMYK, and Sepia/CMY.
    A fifth shader, also "Skunkville", that not only replicates the RGB/HSI modes of Mephistopolis 20th Century, but also can be set to Mephistopolis dot mode.
    One shader, "Ellivknuks" that renders in photonegative (the name is a backspell of "Skunkville". Primarily as an intermediate step between the other versions.

I initially tried a cycling mode switch that included B&W, Sepia, CMY, and CMYK. It worked, but the file size and RAM footprint were huge.

Skunkville_Shell_#2.png
    554 x 618 - 711K
    Skunkville_Shell_#1.png
    554 x 618 - 909K
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

aaaaaaaaaaaaalright, i gotta set these up again, i lost my install when my harddrive died and i KNEW i was missing something crucial... ack!

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

These look interesting--really like some of the effects (especially the line work), but I detest putting a half-tone pattern on everything (comics haven't looked like that in decades). Please tell me you can use these without the half-tone.

Also, what is the main difference between these and the Visual Style Shaders in the store. I have those and really like them,but I am always on the lookout for more tools for the toolbox.

edited December 1969

The current store offering, Mephistopolis Noir offers a "Dots Off" switch (default is 0%, or Dots On), which blends back the dots from pseudo-halftoning (the dots are actually stacked directly atop one another) to hard-edged posterized. Alternately, removing the limits on the Dot Density dial and cranking it out through the roof (my favorite is 3,141,592.6) will get you a fine scattering pattern with minimal moiré. The current WIP, a set called Skunkville, will offer true halftoning (each channel's dots are offset from the others by standard rotational increments for minimal dot-overlaying; this cuts back both on moiré effect and on the distracting rows-and-columns of M. Noir's overlaid dots) and a smooth toon result for "Dots Off". Samples to follow.

edited December 1969

And here's the Mephistopolis Noir in both Dots and Dots Off. BT's Visual Style shaders are cell-shaders, doing just about the same job as almost every other toon shader set out there, but a darn sight better. His Manga Style uses pre-loaded JPG filter maps to apply a variety of shading effects by tiling the patterns as a filter for the object's colors. They are both restricted to DS 4.0 and up. My Mephistopolis (and Skunkville) shaders are 100% node-effect based: there are no ready-made shortcut images except for the tiling tartan patterns. I've also made them backwards-compatible with DS3, for those who still get use out of the older version of the program.

Mephistopolis_Noir_DotsOff.jpg
    554 x 618 - 266K
    Mephistopolis_Noir_Orig.jpg
    554 x 618 - 305K
  • Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like another tool will most likely be added to the toolbox.