Okay, Seriously?

BrightravenBrightraven Posts: 0
edited February 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

You're going to have to forgive me, as I don't generally frequent these forums, but I check in from time to time. Now, please don't take any of what I am about to say offensively, as I mean it all more out of curiosity than as a genuine complaint...But seriously, WTF is the deal with Daz Studio's inability to handle IK/FK properly? Poser was doing this yeeeears ago...and it was one of the few good things that they actually seemed to get right. These days I typically animate with Maya, but I would LOVE to be able to animate with Daz Studio, just for the content alone. But the main reason I don't? Is this.

Every once in a while I break out DS and play with it, and whenever I try to "pin" figures' appendages into place, they move all over the place. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I don't know (I never seem to have this problem in any other program, and I KNOW how to animate). It "seems" like the appendages are trying to remain pinned, but it just doesn't work very well. Enough so, that it just makes the idea of trying to animate like that just too high a risk of wasting my time, so consequently I never invest the time to push further. Honestly, Poser's graph editor was always crap, but the fact that it could calculate and recalculate switching between IK/FK on the fly with a fair degree of accuracy always impressed me, but I digress.  My point here isn't to say that Maya or Poser is somehow superior to DS, or whatever...I believe each tool has it's own strengths and weaknesses...and in my humble opinion, Daz Studio's inability to handle IK/FK seems a glaring weakness, and it has honestly prevented me from using the program for...well hell, years now, and I am left honestly dumbfounded and curious as to why this hasn't been properly developed or addressed, and if it has been, why is a product like this even being offered?

I will apologize now if I am somehow missing something important here, and the proper tool/technique for handling IK/FK in Daz Studio already exists. If that is the case, would someone PLEASE point me in the right direction? I've watched a few tutorials, but all I ever seem to get is the shifty attempt at IK described above. Thank you to anyone kind enough to help with this! I appreciate any productive feedback, and I will be sure to check back.

PS, for what it's worth, my other wishlist item for the future of DS would be a bone rigged facial system with nurbs-type controllers to help with facial animation. I am a visual person, dials get tiresome. Thank you!

Post edited by Brightraven on

Comments

• While we agree that IK isn't that great in DAZ Studio, the reason this product is being offered is because it is a useful script that has nothing to do with IK.

IK will adjust the joints of a body to place the IK target (normally a hand or foot) in a specific place. It will affect the pose of all the joints in the IK chain.

Glue-to-Floor calculates the offset of the hip element of the figure to keep the selected foot/toe in place on the floor plane. It does not affect the pose of any joints - only the hip X/Y/Z Offset. The script calculates the hip movement based on the body weight being on one of the feet - with the other foot either lifted off the ground, or sliding along the ground.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941
    edited February 2019

I seriously doubt that IK will be fixed in the future, it looks like the IK's dead in the water until I am proven wrong when they finally announce studio 4.12 in 2030... wink

All joking aside; **you can use the pose/paremeter dials to manipulate your character instead of direct posing as that works much better!

**Thanks to wolf for suggesting this to me!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,907

https://www.daz3d.com/glue-to-floor-utility-for-genesis-8-females

You're going to have to forgive me, as I don't generally frequent these forums, but I check in from time to time. Now, please don't take any of what I am about to say offensively, as I mean it all more out of curiosity than as a genuine complaint...But seriously, WTF is the deal with Daz Studio's inability to handle IK/FK properly? Poser was doing this yeeeears ago...and it was one of the few good things that they actually seemed to get right. These days I typically animate with Maya, but I would LOVE to be able to animate with Daz Studio, just for the content alone. But the main reason I don't? Is this.

Every once in a while I break out DS and play with it, and whenever I try to "pin" figures' appendages into place, they move all over the place. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I don't know (I never seem to have this problem in any other program, and I KNOW how to animate). It "seems" like the appendages are trying to remain pinned, but it just doesn't work very well. Enough so, that it just makes the idea of trying to animate like that just too high a risk of wasting my time, so consequently I never invest the time to push further. Honestly, Poser's graph editor was always crap, but the fact that it could calculate and recalculate switching between IK/FK on the fly with a fair degree of accuracy always impressed me, but I digress.  My point here isn't to say that Maya or Poser is somehow superior to DS, or whatever...I believe each tool has it's own strengths and weaknesses...and in my humble opinion, Daz Studio's inability to handle IK/FK seems a glaring weakness, and it has honestly prevented me from using the program for...well hell, years now, and I am left honestly dumbfounded and curious as to why this hasn't been properly developed or addressed, and if it has been, why is a product like this even being offered?

I will apologize now if I am somehow missing something important here, and the proper tool/technique for handling IK/FK in Daz Studio already exists. If that is the case, would someone PLEASE point me in the right direction? I've watched a few tutorials, but all I ever seem to get is the shifty attempt at IK described above. Thank you to anyone kind enough to help with this! I appreciate any productive feedback, and I will be sure to check back.

PS, for what it's worth, my other wishlist item for the future of DS would be a bone rigged facial system with nurbs-type controllers to help with facial animation. I am a visual person, dials get tiresome. Thank you!

That's why I'm still using Genesis1/2 for animations, their IKs are way better than newer figures. I really hope they will finally fix Genesis3/8.

• While we agree that IK isn't that great in DAZ Studio, the reason this product is being offered is because it is a useful script that has nothing to do with IK.

IK will adjust the joints of a body to place the IK target (normally a hand or foot) in a specific place. It will affect the pose of all the joints in the IK chain.

Glue-to-Floor calculates the offset of the hip element of the figure to keep the selected foot/toe in place on the floor plane. It does not affect the pose of any joints - only the hip X/Y/Z Offset. The script calculates the hip movement based on the body weight being on one of the feet - with the other foot either lifted off the ground, or sliding along the ground.

Awesome! Okay, I think I better understand what the product does. My apologies, I didn't mean to call your floor-gluing script out in a negative way, I actually think it's great! (And might I add that I am a huge fan of your characters and work!) My initial impression was just that this was more of a fix for IK sliding issues, and I was curious as to why Daz just hadn't just fixed IK/FK to begin with? From what I am seeing here, it sounds like the last part of this question is still valid, but I can see that the foot gluing product has it's own uses outside of just being a fix tool :) Thank you!

And thanks to Takezo and Imago for your tips on trying to stick to Genesis 1/2 characters for IK/FK control. I'll probably sit down and give it a shot next week. I usually work with toon'ish characters, and I know there's still a lot of great options to choose from within the Gen1/2 line.

You guys are awesome. Thanks again!

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941

While we agree that IK isn't that great in DAZ Studio, the reason this product is being offered is because it is a useful script that has nothing to do with IK.

Awesome! Okay, I think I better understand what the product does. My apologies, I didn't mean to call your floor-gluing script out in a negative way, I actually think it's great! (And might I add that I am a huge fan of your characters and work!) My initial impression was just that this was more of a fix for IK sliding issues, and I was curious as to why Daz just hadn't just fixed IK/FK to begin with? From what I am seeing here, it sounds like the last part of this question is still valid, but I can see that the foot gluing product has it's own uses outside of just being a fix tool :) Thank you!

And thanks to Takezo and Imago for your tips on trying to stick to Genesis 1/2 characters for IK/FK control. I'll probably sit down and give it a shot next week. I usually work with toon'ish characters, and I know there's still a lot of great options to choose from within the Gen1/2 line.

You guys are awesome. Thanks again!

Anytime, my pleasure!