This guy's face is eating light

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

That's the best way I can describe it. I have a point light positioned RIGHT IN his face (see attached) The firs two partially rendered pictures have the Point Light set at 100,000 lumens. The last one, the light is set at 300,000. As you can see, there is zero to no effect. The environment is i13's Real Estate Office and I am using the Iray Ready to Render set up. Does that have something to do it? Does it negate all other light somehow? If anyone can give me a hint, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

Capture1.JPG
482 x 496 - 97K
Capture2.JPG
558 x 397 - 55K
Capture3.JPG
564 x 407 - 50K
Capture4.JPG
353 x 335 - 25K
Capture5.JPG
255 x 335 - 20K

Comments

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

Are you using the Dome and Scene setting or just Sun/sky?

Is that a point light or a linear point light?

• I don't have Loan Agent Office, but I do have the Estate Agent Office and Rafmer is headed in the right direction.  Ready to Render loads with the Environment Mode set to Sun-Sky Only.  On that setting, no lights added to the scene have any effect.  Mesh lights still work, but the spotlights, point lights, and distant lights are non-functional.  Try going to Render Settings -> Environment -> Environment Mode and changing the option to Scene Only.  Unless you need your shot to include the outside of a window, then probably pick Dome and Scene (but expect your render to slow down).  Alternately, you could try putting more mesh lights in the scene out of camera view.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Good info! Thank you! I don't need the outside as part of the render. Anything of importance is happening inside the office so thanks for that added tip!

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 2018

Even if you intend to render in the end with the sky or an HDRi, switching to Scene Only is a great way to make sure that any lights you added manually are having the effect you want. Sometimes environmental lighting is so strong is overpowers your manual lights. From what I've seen with point lights don't be afraid of VERY high settings on the lumens. Even into the millions. But if the scene loaded with either Sun-Sky Only or Dome Only, then yeah, that's the first culprit to address. :)

Edited to add another plug for one of my favorite lighting packages Iray Ghost Light Kit. It is wonderful for interior scenes when you don't really need light from a full dome / HDRi, but you'd like to simulate the light coming in through a window or open doorway.

Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

You can countinue using the sun light in Dome and Scene mode; you just have to leave the spot for environment image open.