Show some of your hand-drawn art

2»

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    It's unfortunate when Nature denies us the ability to pursue certain interests, but I believe at the same time She would also give us certain talents in other areas. Talents that may take time to be discovered. If you can't draw, you can still write. :-)
    That's kind of like the old saying,"Those that can't do, teach." I can't render so I (try to), Help.
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

More like: those who can't do this, try that instead. ;-)

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

That's why I use DAZ. It does the drawing for me, I just tell it what I want drawn!

edited June 2012

DAZ Studio is great even for those who prefer to draw by hand. (Same for Bryce, though it may apply more to landscapes.) The reason is that DAZ Studio enables you to visualize clearly all sorts of things you'd like to depict on canvas or drawing paper but can't really form a clear picture of in your mind -- unless you specially seek out those things in real life or create models of them using clay or whatever, which can be a real hassle.

One example is the human figure. Imagine a figure you want to sketch striking a certain pose. Just how would it look from various angles? How would lighting affect the way it looks, again when shone from various angles? Just 'imagining' in your mind how it will look can sometimes be difficult. DAZ Studio provides you a convenient virtual 3D studio replete with props and models which you can use to visualize the scene you like before depicting it on drawing paper -- if you like drawing by hand. That's why discovering DAZ Studio was a wonderful thing for me.

(I suppose most of what I said can be applied to Poser, too. Can't remember if I showed the pic below previously, by the way -- it's how I imagine LycanX will look... :lol:)

Adventures_of_Jack_Wulf_98.jpg
    423 x 600 - 108K
    Post edited by K T Ong on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    DAZ Studio is great even for those who prefer to draw by hand.
    One example is the human figure. Imagine a figure you want to sketch striking a certain pose. Just how would it look from various angles? How would lighting affect the way it looks, again when shone from various angles? Just 'imagining' in your mind how it will look can sometimes be difficult.

Yes, this is an invaluable tool - for those artists who can actually use 2D references (and any computer screen is 2D these days... unfortunately!) I found that while I can draw from life and videos (where the subject is moving hence letting my brain form a true 3D image of it), I am hopeless with photos and renders. So if I need an unfamiliar pose, I just use a mirror. //maybe this is why my 2D characters all look the same LOL//

edited June 2012

Uhhhh... How do you imagine a 3D computer screen would look like? :roll:

DAZ Studio is perfectly 3D. You may not be able to move yourself around the screen to see the props and figures as if they're in an actual room, but you can still manipulate the viewport and camera to see the props/figures from different angles. Which (for me anyway) is already good enough and as good as real 3D. Videos on the other hand would be less helpful for me, because I would have no control whatsoever over the angles at which I would like to view the things/people shown in the videos. (And isn't the video screen 2D, too?)

How about showing some of your work, by the way?

Post edited by K T Ong on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    Uhhhh... How do you imagine a 3D computer screen would look like? :roll:

Like in Star Wars =P And they're pretty real, just not for household PCs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_display

K T Ong said:

DAZ Studio is perfectly 3D. You may not be able to move yourself around the screen to see the props and figures as if they're in an actual room, but you can still manipulate the viewport and camera to see the props/figures from different angles. Which (for me anyway) is already good enough and as good as real 3D. Videos on the other hand would be less helpful for me, because I would have no control whatsoever over the angles at which I would like to view the things/people shown in the videos. (And isn't the video screen 2D, too?)

Well, look: for true perception of depth the sensation in the eye muscles (accommodation) is very important, especially for extremely shortsighted (myopic) folks like myself. So I do have trouble with looking at a flat reference and trying to recreate the real deal (hell, I tend not to recognise people that I know from real life or movies when I see a photo! so it goes two ways). The video screen is 2D indeed, so I don't say it's perfect, but it's a bit akin to those pseudo-3D gifs that "rotate" and create the illusion of depth. In this way video tops static 2D references by a long distance, especially if the video is movie-length. It means it shows a lot of angles of "my subject", and then my brain gets the stuff to synthesise =) I'm not saying vids would allow me to recognise a person if I saw her/him in the street, but at least I can get a reasonable likeness for my work. As far as it can take me. Not perfect.

And as for using DS for reference, I have an older computer, so the OpenGL viewport doesn't provide correct shadowing, and I can't render a lengthy animation (especially with IDL!!). Besides, I'm not that creative with camera movements (when I tried shooting live clips in real life, any experiments were disastrous LOL)

How about showing some of your work, by the way?

Well I linked my stuff back then when this thread was in the old forums, but no one replied, so I figured out either my work was completely ugly or my style unpopular...