"Applying Mesh Smoother"?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I realize I'm wasting a lot of my animation time waiting for Daz Studio to "apply mesh smoother" every time I move the playhead to another frame. Is there a way to stop it from doing this? Is working in a wire-frame mode the only workaround? Thanks.

Comments

• If you go to the Editor tab of the parametrs pane you will find a Mesh Smoothing (not Mesh Resolution) group for items with a Smoothing Modifier - you can turn that off, or you can use Edit>Figure>Geoemtry>Remove Smoothing Modifier. Bear in mind that the smoothing does that - smoothes the mesh - and may also be fixing minor poke-through via collision detection so its removal may not be an unmixed blessing.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I don't see an editing tab within the Parameters tab. Not even an Editor part of the hamburger pull-down menu. Am I looking in the right place. I also tried the other option: highlighted the figure then "remove Smoothin modifier...but the program still smooths out the mesh every time I change frames. I don't mind poke-through as I'm setting up shots and doing low-res test renders. I can restore the smooth meshing function when I do the final render. But the 20 seconds it takes to smooth the mesh is really adding up...

• I often turn it off when simulating and then turn it back on when the simulation is finished.  You may have a some poke-through but I don't think the results are substantially different than leaving it on and suffering through a long simulation. I'm so used to having to fix poke-through anyway that I just expect it even without using dforce.

• Sorry, you are right - the Parameters pane is an Editor tab, it doesn't hae a Presets tab.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

So how do I turn it off?

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited November 2018

...highlighted the figure then remove Smoothin modifier...

Most likely the clothing items have the Smoothing Modifier applied. The modifier can be added to various clothing with different settings. If you select the clothes the Smoothing Modifier settings can be found in the Parameters pane. You can select more than one clothing item in the Scene pane by holding the Ctrl key. Then you can turn Off the Enable Smoothing button for all selected at once if you have the setting Consolidate Properties checked in the Parameters pane options menu. The second image shows where to find Consolidate Properties also useful to change Visible at once.

Then I've searched with google: "site:daz3d.com turn off smoothing" and I've found these first two threads with scripts to automate this process.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • ayubayub Posts: 1

Not sure if you guys fixed this. But it was fairly simple for me in the end. I have been having this problem and it was the main reason for my movie renders taking absolute ages. Having removed this from all items my renders shot forward like a bullet. It seems to be the main culprit for me behind the renders taking hours. Now just minutes. The way to do it is to go to 

Scene tab > Alt A to highlight all objects in the scene. Then go to

Edit menu> Object > Geometry > Remove smoothing modifier.

As an added measure you might want to do the same with figures as well.

Works for me.Hope that helps.

Ayub