Sloppy slops and painful panes—Renaissance Male Clothing For Genesis

edited May 2012 in The Commons

In Elizabethan male attire, the “pumpkin” pants were constructed of two visible layers. On the outside were the panes, which were vertical strips of fabric attached at the waist band and (usually mid-thigh) bottom hems, and were entirely decorative. The individual strips of fabric were longer than the distance they needed to span in order that they would puff out and show the underlying fabric. Under the panes were the slops, which were instead of breeches, and which were intended to be puffy in order to push the panes apart so the slops could be seen. At the front was a separate piece of fabric, laced on, which was the codpiece.

The doublets were a sleeveless garment, with the sleeves being separate items which were pointed (laced) to the doublet at the shoulders. And the doublet was most definitely fastened up the front.

A good point of reference is Margo Anderson’s Historic Costume Patterns The Elizabethan Gentleman’s Wardrobe.

From the general look of the garments, the Renaissance Male Clothing For Genesis is intended as Elizabethan attire (the puffy pants are fairly restricted in both time and place—most of the rest of Europe, and a goodly proportion of the English (or at least, those of good taste) were wearing Venetian-style breeches). But the Renaissance Male Clothing For Genesis consists of a puffy set of pants with no codpiece, and with no separate panes and slops, just a single layer of fabric with wide, heavy pleats. The sleeves are integral to the doublet, and the doublet has no front opening.

No artist information is given, so I don’t know who to blame for this travesty, but surely a little bit of basic research could have been done?

Post edited by daz.3d_6d12b24f7e on

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Honestly, I don't think the title said "Authentic Renaissance Clothing", so I didn't put that much thought into it... I just thought, "It's the best $1 item I've spent in while." :)

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

I love the outfit myself,

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Petition DAZ into renaming it to "Renaissance Re-enactor Clothing"

• edited December 1969

Ascania said:

No serious re-enactor would be seen dead in something as inaccurate as this.
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Aelfric said:
    Ascania said:

No serious re-enactor would be seen dead in something as inaccurate as this.

But really.

Is it that serious? The description didn't it say was supposed to be accurate and it was a dollar.

When you see threads like this complaining about $1 outfits, it sounds, well... you know. I would save threads like this for items that actually claim to be what you're complaining about. Then the thread would make more sense. And if nothing else, you could always pull out your modeller and add those things in that you feel is missing... DS4 is real easy to rig stuff; would be far more productive. But if you don't like it, then you don't have to buy it... it's really that simple. We don't have to be negative about teeny weeny itsy bitsy tiny things that don't really matter in the scheme of things.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

For $1 it just went right in to my cart I did not even look at it that closely I was sure I would find some use for it .

:coolsmile:

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I haven't looked at it yet but hope that something can be done with textures. That's usually the case with low-price items like PC ones. They give a basic shape only. It's very hard to do two layer objects, especially with something that conforms like these 'breeches'. The lower layer can easily poke through the upper. Making sleeves into correct add-on pieces is again something for textures though at this period they seem to have hidden the joins well. As usual they are too narrow though (morphs? deploy MFD add-ons as Genesis is male-female?). The ruff does look too stiff but rosemaryr has some good ones.

The stuffed upper hose (in their terms) was an extreme court fashion but does seem to have been common in Spain, Germany and France for a while among the nobility. Photograph of a Spanish tomb effigy in those type of 'breeches'.

sevbreeches.jpg
    381 x 358 - 52K
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Well, I have some sympathy towards Aelfric's view as I'm very interested in the clothing of this period and have researched it thoroughly in the past. However, I think one has to take a realistic view (and the problems with creating conforming garments with loose panels and such have already been mentioned). Similar constraints applied to the sculptor who made the effigy above—no loose panels there. And if you look at contemporary portraits some of these details are not necessarily obvious (a good site for this is here. There's a lot of material hidden behind the buttons at the bottom of that page).

I don't think it's a fair comparison to make with "renfest" type costumes, because these are seen at close hand and the wearer can move. Not to mention the fact that there tends to be an obsession with authenticity amongst those who attend these events. In the realm of 3D renders, not so much.

I do agree though, that the lack of a codpiece is unfortunate, and—and this would have been the most easily fixed—the upper body garment looks in some cases like a big sweater. I think that is the least forgivable error in detail. I'm not complaining since I got the model for a dollar, and I do tend to modify a lot of my clothing in Blender so I might be able to fix some of these things, but at the full price, I do think those potential customers who seek accuracy may think twice, but whether this is a significant number of customers is another matter.