Genesis Generation X simple Tutorial video

CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Greetings,
I've recently been spending a lot of time converting a shockingly large (given my Genesis bias) collection of V4 characters to Genesis, using GenX. At the same time, I have a very nice screen capture program that I'd been intending to learn how to use properly, so (with a little push from a forum member's question) I thought I'd put together a simple tutorial on creating a character, from adding the GenX tab through saving out a character preset.

I've put the result up on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCapNih-A4

I'd love any comments or thoughts that folks have; it's my first voiced tutorial (I did a silent one showing how to apply V4 skins to G2F) and I'm hoping to do more in the future, so I'd love to know how I did, and what I should do differently or the same.

For example, my recording software made my voice speed up in places, especially early on, and the volume level changes at a few points as I edited together segments, and I'll need to figure out how to fix that in the future.

I'd love any feedback, and especially if it helped you understand GenX better, or if there are parts that I skimmed over that would have been more helpful!

Enjoy!

-- Morgan

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I will take a look at this in my free time and have a shot at it.

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

Thank you! I will definitely check this out when I get home from work. Ive only converted one or two things and stumbled my way through that.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited September 2013

Nice tutorial. I have only just started using GenX and I followed that with no trouble. Thank you.:-)

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Very nice clear tutorial. I liked that each step was clearly explained, both visually and by voice.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Thank you for that video, I have been putting off getting Gen X, but seeing that how to video it will be a purchase very soon I am sure. Do you plan on doing anymore videos on Gen X?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Kharma said:
    Thank you for that video, I have been putting off getting Gen X, but seeing that how to video it will be a purchase very soon I am sure. Do you plan on doing anymore videos on Gen X?
    You're very welcome!

That's my main workflow, so it's the thing I'm most comfortable demonstrating. If you do pick it up and have questions, I'd be happy to try to help, although everything I know I learned from the extensive manual. :)

-- Morgan

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thank you for this tutorial

I was trying to figure out how to make use of those custom dialed morphs made from V4 and M4 to use with Genesis

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Kharma said:
    You're very welcome!

That's my main workflow, so it's the thing I'm most comfortable demonstrating. If you do pick it up and have questions, I'd be happy to try to help, although everything I know I learned from the extensive manual. :)

-- Morgan

Just got GenX today, so will try it out with your tutorial in the next few days and see how it goes

• Great tutorial, well planned and clear speaking without annoying music.

Followed along and worked out almost fine. :(

She does nothing..can't bend arms or do anything...mouse just highlites polys. Is there something else I need to do not covered?

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

Glad I saw this thread.  I have been meaning to learn what GenX is capable of.  I am actually curious about whether or not a G1 character dialed in with Creature Creator can be converted to G2M.  The CC for G1 has a three fingers/toes morph, which apparently is not present in the later versions for some reason.  Thanks  

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Very useful video. Thank you, as it showed me a simpler way of using Gen-X than I had been using. yes

• OOPs...My bad.

Had to leave the GenX tab.

Now all is working fine :)

• How do you install the daz content inside the Poser directory?