WAYYY OT: Curiosity Strikes

2»

Comments

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    (I probably should point out that I'm no spring chicken, either, despite being a bit of a ditz especially when kittens are involved -- that means I have had plenty of time to hone my thoughts and responses; I have a lifetime of experience behind me.)

Well, at the tender age of 51, I'd dare say that applies to most of us. ;)

kmw

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

kmw_ said:
    Skiriki said:
    (I probably should point out that I'm no spring chicken, either, despite being a bit of a ditz especially when kittens are involved -- that means I have had plenty of time to hone my thoughts and responses; I have a lifetime of experience behind me.)

Well, at the tender age of 51, I'd dare say that applies to most of us. ;)

kmw

51 here

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

:-S - I rather think hitting is an equal opportunity activity, and trying not to even more so. :-/

What's the result when one acts out?
    Things happen!

(Even the kids know that one.)

Imo, in domestic disputes, hitting is lots of times a sign someone needs to grow up. :long:
    If one can, the best thing usually to do is just leave. If need be, permanently.

And, come to think of it, a lot of people won't hit back because they know they're more than capable if they do so.
    For instigators, they'd be better off poking at a bear with a stick! :P

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

I have never hit anyone I was involved with. Though I have been hit by women. Honestly, I try not to even say hurtful things in an argument. Even when I am at my angriest a part of my mind is thinking that this is someone I really deeply love, eventually the current disagreement will be over and I don't want to say or do anything hurtful that will damage our closeness. I don't want to hurt the person I am arguing with either physically or emotionally, I just want to resolve the situation.

Not that i'm anti-violence, some people just need to get brained with a large brick, just not the person I am involved with

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

Not that i'm anti-violence, some people just need to get brained with a large brick, just not the person I am involved with

When it's come to my loved ones, I've always been firmly of the belief — and I've shared this with as many people that I can — that there are enough nuts in the world that don't care about them, that will harm them, that will kill them, that they should be afraid of.

Why would you want to be one of them?

kmw

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

kmw_ said:

When it's come to my loved ones, I've always been firmly of the belief — and I've shared this with as many people that I can — that there are enough nuts in the world that don't care about them, that will harm them, that will kill them, that they should be afraid of.

Why would you want to be one of them?

kmw

I agree. If you read what I said completely you would get that.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

One of the biggest problems in domestic situations is that people in these modern times have no idea about 2 things:

1) the power of the human musculature system
    2) the fragility of the human body.

Society has so removed people from the real effects of violence that most have lost respect for the kind of danger represented by conflict. Sure, people see the extreme, stylized, Hollyweird violence. However that is almost always perpetrated by "big", "strong" people. How many here know exactly how much power is contained in a single, openhanded strike by an averaged sized woman? Average sized man? One or two? What about the power contained in an untrained closed fist punch? Now, let us add the larger than average person to that equation and the extra force added by the extra mass. Anyone? Want to take a guess?

The simple fact is that when people have no respect for the kind of danger they are in, the temptation to perform hurtful acts increases. Few people will go into public and randomly select someone and then assail that person, verbally or otherwise. The reason is fear. One doesn't know how a random person is going to react, and the base response is to not want to encounter danger. Yet, people will hurl the most hurtful insults, push the most sensitive buttons, dredge up the worst of past offenses from their "black book" and then accost the people close to them. Why? Lack of fear, lack of knowledge, and lack of respect.

As societies, we've not allowed children to scuffle. Under the guise of "it's not nice," or worse, "I don't want to get sued." However, those scuffles (both male and female) teach us what pain of conflict feels like when we don't have the physical power necessary (usually) to actually cause permanently harmful damage. So children grow up not knowing what it feels like to be punched, slapped, having the hair pulled, or being gouged by finger nails. Most modern children don't get black eyes or bloody noses anymore. Then when they get into fights with those most capable of causing emotional damage, they are unprepared for the consequences. Tempers flare and people get hurt.

Kendall

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Also, when the frame of reference is off, so usually is reception . . . and reaction for that part.
    Unfortunately, the use of sarcasm can be lost on a generation that never had a truly decent frame of reference,
    so a sarcastic viewpoint can become a foundation. That's really unfortunate, because unless there's a
    decent influence to help guide those core requirements and expectations of a developing person's attitude toward
    being a caring person, they can be left with a somewhat demented or stunted growth, I feel.

Of course there will always be unwitting and ill-conceived remarks and perceptions, because that's part of the human
    element. What I'm talking about is a basic and general attitude in society as to how one treats others on an daily basis.
    For those of us growing up with the golden rules in play ("Do unto others" and "Be Not Weary in Well Doing"), we knew
    what was expected of us during that era. For those eras that seem to have no general rule and code of conduct,
    it seems to be a crap shoot as to what is expected (or fling, whatever the case may be). ;-)

Sure, there are the basic foundations and expectations of learning thrown out there now, but when so many prominent
    outside influences in our society are rampant in practicing against them, it's a pretty confusing mental message.

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

I'd be asking myself why a woman would be coming at me with a knife trying to kill me if I were you!

I had that kind of wife. I wouldn't pop her, so she made up something else and I now have a past felony conviction.

• eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
    edited December 1969

One of the biggest problems in domestic situations is that people in these modern times have no idea about 2 things:

1) the power of the human musculature system
    2) the fragility of the human body.

Society has so removed people from the real effects of violence that most have lost respect for the kind of danger represented by conflict. Sure, people see the extreme, stylized, Hollyweird violence. However that is almost always perpetrated by "big", "strong" people. How many here know exactly how much power is contained in a single, openhanded strike by an averaged sized woman? Average sized man? One or two? What about the power contained in an untrained closed fist punch? Now, let us add the larger than average person to that equation and the extra force added by the extra mass. Anyone? Want to take a guess?

Kendall

I think most people will concede that the average man could do more damage to the average woman than vice versa. my whole point though was that as men, we're taught (most of us) that we should never hit a woman... under any conditions, because we're so much bigger and stronger. Problem is that even when the woman is obviously bigger and stronger than the male, it's usually consider worse for him too hit hurt than for hurt to hit him.

My other point is that many women have NO Problems whatsoever hitting a male simply BECAUSE they think he's bigger and stronger so he should be able to take it.

Also, I happen to be a good sized male and I've had some pretty small women surprise the heck out of me with how hard they can hit!