Hey, did you guys hear Carrara 8.5 will launch on August 26th, 2013?

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Auto-fit relies on clones, so as long as the figure you are trying to fit the clothing to has a clone for the figure the clothing was originally designed for the clothing can be autofit. Genesis and Genesis 2 Female both come with default clones, and more can be purchased in the DAZ store.

Are there any plans for a clone of The DAZ Cow, so we can Autofit Skankwear to her?

Give me a couple days Sock- I may be able to get a picture of a cow in skankware. I'm just not sure if I can find a thong and tube top in her size. What size would 1200 lbs correspond to anyway? :wow:

Can't you just have the tailor do a house call?

When they hear what you're up to, they'll probably pay you to be part of such a Glorious Endeavor!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

Clothing will work similar to how it works in Studio. There is backward compatibility, but not forward compatibility. You won't be able to autofit genesis clothing to a Gen 4 figure, but the reverse is true. Auto-fit relies on clones, so as long as the figure you are trying to fit the clothing to has a clone for the figure the clothing was originally designed for the clothing can be autofit. Genesis and Genesis 2 Female both come with default clones, and more can be purchased in the DAZ store.

Carrara 8.5 supports morph projection for DSON figures, but not legacy figures. This means that if you morph genesis or genesis 2 female that morph will be projected on to the clothing. I can't guarantee it will work perfectly, but it will be better than the alternative.

Looking forward to this if the price is right! :) I am enjoying build 204 and the new YaToon2! Poser 2014 upgrade was way out of my price range...

Speaking of Clones, I made a "create a clone" tutorial on my site (downloads section). It's for a different figure, but the premise would be the same for all figures. Given the modelling room, you could probably get a clone really close in Carrara.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    Hopefully it'll be on sale again in October, I'm planning on getting Gia Starter bundle, which I'm assuming Gia is the She-Freak for Generation 6 and the Girl 6 Pro bundle, so don't dare put $100+ more on my credit as I'm still paying Off V6 and G2F :/ lol
    Sweet! So, I'm not the only addict here! :)
    Yeah, Gia's a babe with 'tude!
    edited December 1969

...and G6 is way hot!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

...and G6 is way hot!

Wait 'til you see the *GenCow™ with Skankware™ Bundle.

*Licensing rights available for a modest fee. Feel free to PM Sockratease.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

question for Daz-jared.

Any forseeable problems with backwards compatability to Carrara 8.1?
    Specifically, in using pre Genesis models.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited August 2013

I’m assuming you want to transfer the simulation from Studio? I don’t think that there was anything changed from the previous workflow. You essentially have to freeze the simulation and bring it over into Carrara, there isn’t native support for DAZ Studio dynamic clothing in the new version of Carrara.

Attached is a screen shot of how the rigging displays for Genesis 2 Female in Carrara.

Yes, you assume correctly:)

I was afraid of that - since the latest C8.5 Beta and Studio 4.6.018, the Optitex sim works in Carrara, but fits so badly, there is no way to fix it - even making parts of V4 invisible doesn't work because the main problem is with the back - it's as if V4 is larger in Carrara than in Studio. This is an old bug that I reported some time ago.

Those horrible dotted lines bones are a real PITA - get in the way when trying to pose. We have been reliably informed that it is actually easier, programmatically, to display the bones as solids, as all other 3D apps do, than the dotted lines.

Are you guys at Daz aware that posing Genisis 2 in Carrara is really difficult - huge lags when manually manipulating? The preset poses work perfectly, as do the sliders for moving bones, but these don't cover every move one wants to make, have to resort to painful manual manipulation.

Also can't import a usable G2F into Hexagon via the bridge - seriously laggy. Ok bringing her in as .obj, so it's not the poly count that's causing the problem

I would have put in a report, but couldn't find how to do so - too late now, I guess.

Looks like I'm having to give this upgrade a miss - I don't see anything in the list of features, other than the improvement to the graph editor, that can't be done better in studio:(

Post edited by Roygee on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Bummer
    I just bought Carrara Pro 8, I guess I picked the wrong time =(

So Carrara 8.5Pro Beta no longer works?
    Do I have to reinstall Carrara 8 Pro?
    Will files created in Carrara 8.5 beta work in Carrara 8 Pro?

Count me in to buy it if there is a discount! I got really burned that way with Poser when they upgraded. I was just a week outside their roll back of the discount for previous purchasers. Joeping I am sure DAZ won't hang you out to dry like that. Fingers crossed!

I love everything about Beta 8.5 EXCEPT the error I get when tweaking vertices in animation mode. Searched and searched and had come to the conclusion it was only "me" getting that message about an execution error when messing with the bright green mesh. I desperately NEED that utility to work smoothly.

All in time for my uni course to start. Thanks to DAZ and all the talented and AMAZINGLY helpful boarders who make learning and using Cararra a joy. I wish I'd discovered it ages ago instead of faffing around with others.

Cheers everyone!

Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited December 1969

@Laurenwbr
    I have never been able to tweak ANYTHING in animation mode except the weightpainting so that is interesting
    no errors, just no way to.
    I do get errors hiding vertices for weightpainting which is a right pain when isolating mesh like eyeballs for specific bone influence but that is all builds though the beta was worse.
    and I bought Poser 2012 a week outside the update cut off too!
    prob not upgrading until 2016!!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

@Laurenwbr
    I have never been able to tweak ANYTHING in animation mode except the weightpainting so that is interesting
    no errors, just no way to.
    I do get errors hiding vertices for weightpainting which is a right pain when isolating mesh like eyeballs for specific bone influence but that is all builds though the beta was worse.
    and I bought Poser 2012 a week outside the update cut off too!
    prob not upgrading until 2016!!

Am on tablet but will start thread & post screennie when am back home later. Someone told abt ani mode a while ago.

X Silene

edited December 1969

Hmmm.... was just settled on working on animation in Carrara, until I started reading these last things. Would I be better off picking up Animate2, Graphmate and Keymate (when on sale) and going Daz Studio for animation? Anyone work with both and has compared?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited August 2013

got my $20 ready for Monday !
    :cheese on fire

tried 8 time to post !

Post edited by bigh on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I've got a question for the CMS (content managing system, right?) for anyone who knows how to use it.

Does this allow me to go through my content and 'tag' each of my items with various keywords, so I can search by keyword and bring up all those items at once? If so, how do you 'tag' older content.

If I've completely misunderstood what this does, can someone explain CMS?

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...and G6 is way hot!

Ship this and I'll buy it! It sounds udderly enthralling, I cud always use more CowWare(tm). I just hope it's not a milk dud.. :down:

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    question for Daz-jared.

Backward compatibility how? Opening old scene files with legacy figures? No. Loading legacy figures? No. Pre-Genesis figures will function the same as they did before. Generation 4 figures will work the best. Generation 3 figures will be ok. Last I checked there are sitll issues with Gen2 and earlier in Carrara. I think the idea was that most people use the current figures so that is where the focus should be.

I hope this answers your question, if not PM me, or respond in the thread.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I've got a question for the CMS (content managing system, right?) for anyone who knows how to use it.

Does this allow me to go through my content and 'tag' each of my items with various keywords, so I can search by keyword and bring up all those items at once? If so, how do you 'tag' older content.

Yes, but there is no front end to do this in Carrara. You'd need to use the Content Database Editor in DAZ Studio to tag your items.

edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    head wax said:
    question for Daz-jared.

Backward compatibility how? Opening old scene files with legacy figures? No. Loading legacy figures? No. Pre-Genesis figures will function the same as they did before. Generation 4 figures will work the best. Generation 3 figures will be ok. Last I checked there are sitll issues with Gen2 and earlier in Carrara. I think the idea was that most people use the current figures so that is where the focus should be.

I hope this answers your question, if not PM me, or respond in the thread.

Thanks DAZ_jared.

Apologies for the vague question.

What I meant to say was, if I do some work in the new Carrara 8.5, then decide I need to go back to Carrara 8.1 because of work flow/ time constraints etc,

then will I be able to open my Carrara 8.5 files in Carrara 8.1?

I will be using pre Genesis figures because I am in the middle of a large job and have my characters/scenes etc all up and running.

thanks in advance

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

...and G6 is way hot!

Ship this and I'll buy it! It sounds udderly enthralling, I cud always use more CowWare(tm). I just hope it's not a milk dud.. :down:

And they all said I was the only one...

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Jonstark said:

Yes, but there is no front end to do this in Carrara. You'd need to use the Content Database Editor in DAZ Studio to tag your items.

Thanks for the quick answer! :)

Follow up question then, since I never ever touch Studio if I can avoid it, is this content Database Editor you mention going to be able to recognize and tag items in my Poser runtimes? Or do I have to have loaded the studio versions of items before I can tag them? Only because I have avoided downloading the studio versions of content up til now, and I'm hoping not to have to try to re-download everything before being able to tag the items.

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Thanks to DAZ and all the talented and AMAZINGLY helpful boarders who make learning and using Cararra a joy. I wish I'd discovered it ages ago instead of faffing around with others.

Cheers everyone!

SileneI really enjoy having you aboard as well, Silene! You're an excellent addition to the family! :)

DAZ_jared said:
    question for Daz-jared. Any forseeable problems with backwards compatability to Carrara 8.1?
    Specifically, in using pre Genesis models. thanks :)

I hope this answers your question, if not PM me, or respond in the thread.There is one thing:
    8.5 introduces the "Fast Mip Map" image filter when using image maps in shaders. Since it's the new and improved way of handling images for such things, image map are automatically switched to this new method upon opening the shader in 8.5 and, if you then save that shader or scene, previous versions of Carrara will deal with it as if there was nothing in that shader node until you give each texture map a filter choice - as it doesn't know to automatically switch it back.

This can be a real PITA with scenes that use a lot of shaders that have image maps - as you'll have to go through every image map that is used in every shader. From there the process is simple - click the empty box in the channel that uses a map, and pick a filter, like "Sampling" (the previous default image map filter)

To rectify this, I've copied my entire Carrara Browser into 8.5 and keep them separate. Of course, I like Carrara 8.5 so much better, that I'll be uninstalling 8.1 as soon as I get my official copy of 8.5!

edited August 2013

Jonstark said:
    DAZ_jared said:
    Jonstark said:

Follow up question then, since I never ever touch Studio if I can avoid it, is this content Database Editor you mention going to be able to recognize and tag items in my Poser runtimes? Or do I have to have loaded the studio versions of items before I can tag them? Only because I have avoided downloading the studio versions of content up til now, and I'm hoping not to have to try to re-download everything before being able to tag the items.

I think you can, but it seems to be a long process to add meta-data to each thing. Not sure if there is a direct database field edit model?

Adding Metadata to Products

...actually check the "Finalize" section of that link. That seems quick, as I just tried it in DS.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

thanks Dart :)
    could be a slight problem then
    present scene I am working on is 1.5 gig....
    259 master shaders
    126 objects
    :(
    glad I asked!

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Jonstark said:
    DAZ_jared said:
    Jonstark said:

I think you can, but it seems to be a long process to add meta-data to each thing. Not sure if there is a direct database field edit model?

Adding Metadata to Products

...actually check the "Finalize" section of that link. That seems quick, as I just tried it in DS.Adding metadata is only for "Smart Content" use. CMS organizational database is different. I think you can do as Jon is asking, but I don't do that yet, so I don't know for sure.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks Dart :)
    could be a slight problem then
    present scene I am working on is 1.5 gig....
    259 master shaders
    126 objects
    :(
    glad I asked!
    And I'm glad I've answered. It's not a big deal as long as you save separately. But if it "needs" to be reopened in an earlier Carrara, it's best to not save via 8.5 with an overwrite! ;)
    edited August 2013

Adding metadata is only for "Smart Content" use. CMS organizational database is different. I think you can do as Jon is asking, but I don't do that yet, so I don't know for sure.

I just did it. I went to Sabby - Katya (old figure for V4), added a tag as it is shown in that finalize section (called "testtag")...then went to the Content library search, typed "testtag", and Sabby-Katya appeared.

I think this is what he asked?

Does this allow me to go through my content and ‘tag’ each of my items with various keywords, so I can search by keyword and bring up all those items at once? If so, how do you ‘tag’ older content.

Maybe I am misunderstanding? ...maybe you are saying Carrara does not use those tags?

tagging.jpg
    898 x 493 - 122K
    Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

Maybe "I" am whom is misunderstanding! :)
    I was under the impression that he was asking about the standard CMS stuff - where you can create categories to sort your content into. I always thought that metadata is what is used to help "Smart Content" determine what works with what- so that when you select one thing, everything that works with that shows up in Smart Content. CMS, to my incredibly limited understanding, has been around long before that- and makes it so that, right within DS, I could create a "Special" category. Then when I install something new, I could add it to "Animals", "Dragons", or "Special" (the one I just made up), or whatever other categories I have.

I have a bizarre method of simply remembering where all of my content is. Could be that I keep my runtime structure very vague and simple. But so I've never tried messing with that - so you are probably correct. ;)

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

It will be nice when we know what the actual upgrade cost is going to be.

I ended up wishing some stuff I was going to buy this week that is still on sale for the next few days since I'm on a budget and a some of the money I would have for buying 3D stuff this month went to an unplanned Anime Studio upgrade.

Oh also since Poser was upgrades got mentioned Smith Micro will put those on sale often I've noticed. If you are on their mailing list you'll know when the run a sale.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

When it says native DSON does that mean we wont need to install stuff via DIM or have CMS running, there by having the content where ever we like on our system(s) as long as we have the .duf and .py files? or will we still need CMS?

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

I'm really hyped up to see how the TriAx looks inside Carrara. I havn't used any of the Betas but I do have 8 Pro

edited December 1969

When it says native DSON does that mean we wont need to install stuff via DIM or have CMS running?Yes
    I'm really hyped up to see how the TriAx looks inside Carrara. I havn't used any of the Betas but I do have 8 Pro
    Me too! But how did you 'see' it without the beta, you mean from watching on the forum?

Haven't seen you around lately... good seein' ya!