How to deform clothing

openlearneropenlearner Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Is it possible to deform clothing to give it a look like a windy day, or wrinkled, etc? Or do we just need to accept however the clothing falls in a pose, with no control?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Check the clothing itself for morphs to see if the options are already there. You might have to dig around through the various nodes to figure out where the morphs are located. I know I have hair products that have morphs for wind, and I know I have seen dresses that can be bent left/right that might simulate it, and I have seen clothing with morphs to change wrinkles I think.

If you are using DAZ Studio:
    You can use Dformers to add wrinkles.
    You could also perhaps do the windy day thing with Dformers too, depending on what you want to accomplish. Just bending the edge of a sleeve for a light breeze might be easy, but plastering an entire outfit to one side of a figure in a serious windstorm would be a major challenge I bet.
    If you have dynamic clothing and the full plugin, I think there might be an option for wind, I'm not sure.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to deform clothing to give it a look like a windy day, or wrinkled, etc? Or do we just need to accept however the clothing falls in a pose, with no control?
    What you want is dynamic clothing, but it will depend whether you're using Daz Studio or Poser as to which kind you'll need. Poser users can create their own dynamic cloth using the cloth room by turning any existing outfit into a dynamic fabric which can then be draped over a figure. Sadly, Daz Studio doesn't have anything like that and instead relies on a 3rd party plugin made by Optitex.

The Daz Studio plugin doesn't work with any outfit, only specific ones which are designed either by Optitex themselves or by using their (rather expensive) software. Unfortunately, the free plugin has no little to no control over the cloth either, so expect dozens of poke-through issues unless you're willing to pay extra for the paid version. As far as I'm aware, both versions have an issue with scaling clothing to fit smaller or larger figures, as the cloth will automatically reshape itself to it's default scale.

Using DForm to add wrinkles isn't much of an option. While it's doable if you're really determined, it will take a long while and may not give the best results once it's all said and done. Many clothes come with morphs which can mimic movement in a more realistic way, so it might be worth looking into such items.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi friend, clothing issue has been my most greatest challange, Sci fi/fantasy scenes can have unique/intense poses, clothes do not form well to customized pose. But I began a similar thread yesterday, attempting to learn how to use DFormer.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited August 2013

OK, so lets say you want to wind morph your dress. In which case you might want to apply smoothing modifier to the dress (select the dress, got to Edit menu - Figure - Geometry - Apply Smoothing Modifier) and in Parameters tab, under General menu, Mesh Smoothing submenu you can set your figure to be your dress Collision Item (if its not already set) and adjust the smoothing values (in this particular case I used Smoothing Iterations 5, Collision Iterations 10 and Collision Smoothing Interval 2 (thats a hidden property, click with right mouse button on Parameters tab, (on the letters "Parameters") and activate Show Hidden Properties). And you might want to convert your dress to SubD, if it already isnt (select the dress, go to Edit menu - Figure - Geometry -Convert to SubD) and than regulate subdivision in Parameter tab, General menu, Mesh Resolution submenu. SubD can make your clothing item more roundish looking, so if you dont like that you can put subdivision level to 0.

When you are ready to start deforming, select your dress/clothing item and go to Create menu - New D-Former..., pick a name and click Ok. Now you have three new "things" in your scene (tab), D-Former Base (position of which sort of regulates starting position of deformations), D-Former (click on the little triangle in front of the D-Former Base in your Scene tab to expand selection; with which you make deformations by moving, rotating or scaling it) and D-Former Field (with which you select area / filed of influence of D-Former by moving, rotating and scaling it).

Now, as far as I know, loading position of D-Former Base and thus a D-Former is right smack in the middle of whatever item you apply D-Former to. For movement deformations (translations) position of base and d-former doesnt matter so much, but for rotations (bending) it does. In this particular case my "dress" was 1 piece from hip to foot, so right of the middle of it was more or less fine position. If you have clothing item, say dress, that is one piece from neck to foot, after D-Former loads, you might want to lower the position of the D-Former Base and D-Former so that it is in the middle between hip and bottom of the dress.

Next, select D-Former Field in scene and position it, scale it etc. so that you envelop whatever areas you want to D-Former to influence. Red colored areas will get high influence, orange ones less and yellow ones little influence when you move, rotate or scale D-Former. In my particular case, I went to Parameters tab and set x, y, z translation of the field to 0 and than lifted it up slightly so that middle of the field was in the middle of the dresses bottom and than adjusted the scale of the field (pic 1).

After you position the field, go to scene tab, select the D-Former and rotate it. Which rotation will you apply, will ofc depend on your "wind" direction. In this particular case, I selected the d-former, went to parameters tab and applied Z Rotate -20.00. I also didnt like the look of the "dress", It was still round, so I also reduced Z Scale of the D-Former to 80% to squash the "dress" a little.

After you position (change) the D-Former so that it makes deformation you want (it doesnt have to perfect or done with just 1 morph, you can bend it a little for start and make additional deformations / morphs later), select the D-Former Field again and move it, for example left or right and back again so that you can see your clothing item with deformations, without deformations, partially deformed etc. so that you can adjust the position or shape of the field and thus adjust the deformations to something more to your liking. If you have smoothing modifier applied, you can position the field so that side of your clothing item is slightly inside your figure and smoothing will cover it up (after you release the field). In my case, I positioned the field slightly more to the left and also increased its size so that I get more influence (pic 2) (didnt like the look of the areas of the "dress" on edges of field influence).

When you are satisfied with the deformation, select your clothing item, go to Window menu - Panes (tabs) - DForm. In the newly opened DForm tab, select (activate) Apply Spawned Morph (thats not necessary, its my preference) and click Spawn Morph... write a name (I just use numbers, 1, 2, 3 etc.) and click Ok. Spawned morphs will be in parameters tab of your clothing item. If you selected Apply Spawned Morph option, you will now have your created morph applied at 100% and since your D-Formed field and D-Former is still "active" for the same area, you will have double effect look of your clothing item which is useful as a preview of what you would get if you increased your newly created morph to 200%.

To cut the story short, I wanted more bending in the part of my "dress" that was further away from the figure, so I moved the D-Former Field so that area of influence was on the part of the "dress" for which I wanted more bending and spawned another morph with D-Former itself still in the same position (pic 3). Also liked the way "double effect" was looking so I increased that morph to 200% Than I decided that I wanted the "dress" closer to the leg on the other side, so i moved field to the other side. Since D-Former was set to rotation (bending) and I wanted just the "push", I reduced D-Formers Z Rotation to 0 and set X Translate to -10.00, Z Scale reduction was still on and than positioned now also resized field and spawned another morph (pic 4). Also liked double effect on that one, but smoothing modifier wasnt covering that much deformation (200%) so I set that morph to 120%. Also wanted to adjust bending on the other side slightly, so spawned another one for that part and there was some poke-through on the other side so I "pulled" it out slightly ( 10.00 X Translation on D-Former) (pic 5) And that was more or less it.

5.jpg
    687 x 600 - 209K
    4.jpg
    462 x 580 - 119K
    3.jpg
    684 x 598 - 162K
    2.jpg
    560 x 558 - 126K
    1.jpg
    564 x 560 - 112K
    Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

And the result (pic 1) and some more tinkering.

37.jpg
    500 x 500 - 56K
    30.jpg
    500 x 500 - 48K
    6.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 326K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Only thing missing is the How to save with morphs for use again. Many users will not know that step right at the start.

Wonderful Tutorial, thank you for the time you put into this.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

File--Save As--Scene Assets--Morph Assets. Put in your name and "Base" and check only your morphs before clicking Accept.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Holy Cow! I had no idea you could even do that. Thanks for the info! Time to go read up more on collision.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

See? I was sort of Hinting for Ben to finish the Tutorial but Thank You SY.

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

Thank you so much for this...I was a bout to return some clothing as it didn't have a bend morph and I just couldn't get it to sit right....this worked a charm :)

• On a related note, how do you deform a nipple shape on clothing (instead of them poking through)?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

On a related note, how do you deform a nipple shape on clothing (instead of them poking through)?

Hi! The clothing has to have been built with enough polygons to do so. A lot of clothing is not.
  • On a related note, how do you deform a nipple shape on clothing (instead of them poking through)?

Select the figure and check over on the Parameters Tab - usually there's an option to dial the nipples down.

• Thank you Sickleyield - I'm trying to find tops that have that feature but am having no luck. Catherine, I'm looking to have the clothing  form around the nipple....

• Thank you Sickleyield - I'm trying to find tops that have that feature but am having no luck. Catherine, I'm looking to have the clothing  form around the nipple....

Then you're back to Sickleyield's method  - have to find the right tops ;-)