Part of an environment missing. Or is it?

So, I bought this environment .

I assumed that both the potted plants and the trees seen behind the windows were part of the environment. But neither seem to appear when I load the environment. The windows is just a grey surface.

After checking again the shop page, I noticed however that it isn't mentioned that anything else has been used to create the images. So, I think that maybe they could be somewhere, in particular the view through the windows. I found no prop, there's a "material" but nothing seems to change when I use it, and I looked in the properties of the wall with the windows ("surface" and such) to no avail.

Where would a view through a window likely be situated if it's included, and what kind of thing would it be? And if there isn't any "view through the windows" included, how do I go to add one, for instance using some random image? 

Not directly related, but when I render the room, the floor is vastly too reflective. Under the windows, it looks more like a frozen swimming pool than a wood floor. How would I correct that?

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited August 2018

I always check the "what's included" with some products. It doesn't state it has a plant nor a background. So they are just there for the promo images. Some environments/scenes do have loads of props, like the for example the recent artist studio release.

I dont think any interior scene I have bought so far has come with a background for the windows (I guess thats logical for you as the creator to make the setting)  Personally I use a bunch of generic photo's of trees behind the windows. Sometimes in DAZ itself with a plane primitive added, sometimes in my image editor (Affinity Photo, but GIMP and Photoshop work just as well)  The creator of Dream Home Media Room seems to have used this technique and added it after the render.
    It's important if you want to add a background later, to render as PNG-24, as it keeps empty space in your scene transparent, most useful!

You could also buy a suitable HDRI Dome, there are many on DAZ. You can opt to "Draw dome" in render settings, so you use the actual image to use as a background. Now this doesnt work if you only use indoor lighting, so than you fall back to the previous options.

For the floor, select the floor, go to your "surfaces" tab and find the sliders that mention reflection. You can also turn down glossy if it is too much.

Good luck!

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    edited August 2018
    Paintbox said:

I always check the "what's included" with some products. It doesn't state it has a plant nor a background. So they are just there for the promo images. Some environments/scenes do have loads of props, like the for example the recent artist studio release. 

Yes, I assumed that since they didn't mention anything else being used in the picture, it meant that everything visible was included. And that the background behind the window was no different from, say, the color of the wall. Wasted a lot of time searching for this background. :/

I dont think any interior scene I have bought so far has come with a background for the windows (I guess thats logical for you as the creator to make the setting)  Personally I use a bunch of generic photo's of trees behind the windows. Sometimes in DAZ itself with a plane primitive added, sometimes in my image editor (Affinity Photo, but GIMP and Photoshop work just as well)  The creator of Dream Home Media Room seems to have used this technique and added it after the render.

Ok, I found how to create a plane. Didn't figure out yet how to put a picture on it, but I guess I will.

It's important if you want to add a background later, to render as PNG-24, as it keeps empty space in your scene transparent, most useful!

Errr... What is PNG-24 and how do I render as PNG-24?

You could also buy a suitable HDRI Dome, there are many on DAZ. You can opt to "Draw dome" in render settings, so you use the actual image to use as a background. Now this doesnt work if you only use indoor lighting, so than you fall back to the previous options.

Hmmm...One thing at a time. I'll look into this dome thing at some point in the future. 

For the floor, select the floor, go to your "surfaces" tab and find the sliders that mention reflection. You can also turn down glossy if it is too much.

I'll do that. Thank you.

Post edited by odastein on
  • PNG 24 would be a standard PNG with eight bits for each colour (actually, you want PNG 32 anyway - 8 bits per colour and 8 bits for the mask). If you want the background to be transparent you must have Draw Dome off and must save in PNG or Tiff format.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

FWIW, this room is part of a huge house set, the Dream Home, that was released in parts many years back, when DAZ|Studio was in a very early version. None of the base room items included any furniture or props; all of that was in expansion products (some with extra variant texture sets). I can't remember if that particular potted plant was ever in any of the Dream Home expansions, or it might be in one of the other botanicals sets in the store.

The super-shiny floor is probably an effect of the default materials being set up for Poser. There are DAZ|Studio materials included, but they're all for the old default 3Delight render engine — Iray materials will have to be converted manually and tweaked until they look right.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,059
    odastein said:
    Paintbox said:

Yes, I assumed that since they didn't mention anything else being used in the picture, it meant that everything visible was included.

Additional item used in the promos are seldom listed, if only because some of them are sold elsewhere, were created for the promos, or not available anymore.
    So as a rule consider that only items listed in "what's included" section are included and anything else is not even if there's no mention of additional items.

PNG 24 would be a standard PNG with eight bits for each colour (actually, you want PNG 32 anyway - 8 bits per colour and 8 bits for the mask). If you want the background to be transparent you must have Draw Dome off and must save in PNG or Tiff format.

So, if I save in PNG, I have a PNG 24? Or I have a "regular" PNG and I must do something else to turn it into PNG 24?

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

My bad, just save as png, if your render has transparency (checkered pattern) , you end up with the right image. Photoshop, Affinity Photo and GIMP can all open and edit this.

• odastein said:

PNG 24 would be a standard PNG with eight bits for each colour (actually, you want PNG 32 anyway - 8 bits per colour and 8 bits for the mask). If you want the background to be transparent you must have Draw Dome off and must save in PNG or Tiff format.

So, if I save in PNG, I have a PNG 24? Or I have a "regular" PNG and I must do something else to turn it into PNG 24?

if you save a PNG it's actually using 32 bits per pixel - 2d for colour (which is what PNG 24 means) and 8 for the alpha channel (showing how opaque the pixel is). So no, you don't need to do anything more - just save a PNG and you have what was suggested.

Thank you all. Hopefully I won't have anymore question on this specific topic.