Installing content without DL Manager; How to set it up to have meta data?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So I'm taking the plunge and checking out G2F (just installing the freebie essentials to test the waters) and I'm installing them manually. I've made a post in the past explaining that I do not like automatic installers.

So anyway, I have a folder "Content" and a Manifest. The way I understand it is that the Manifest.dsx is a file for the install manager and is not needed when installing manually (except you can't get updates). So I dropped the "Content" folder in my Daz Studio library. However, when I run DS I don't actually have any meta data. Am I supposed to take the folders out of the content folder instead of pasting the content folder?

P.S. Although it's a bummer that daz has stepped away from installers, I very much appreciate leaving the manual installers for us hands on guys:)

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

So I dropped the "Content" folder in my Daz Studio library.

Yes, that's the glitch. You need to put the contents of the .zip "Content" folder into your D|S library folder, whatever it's called. Doing it the obvious (wrong) way puts a content folder inside a content folder, where D|S can't find it. There's a /Runtime/Support/ folder inside your library where the metadata files are collected, if you've just copy/pasted as above then it'll get dropped into the right place.

The next time you start D|S you need to get the new metadata into the database, otherwise it won't show up in Smart Content (note that this is automatic in a DIM install, you just need to do it manually if you don't use DIM).

* In the Content Library tab, click on the Options button (top right corner, a stack of lines and a little arrow)

* Select "Content DB Maintenance" from the pop-up menu

* Tick the "Process Metadata Queue" box and hit "Accept".

Hope that's right. The only other thing you need to remember is to do that again every time you do a manual install.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

So I dropped the "Content" folder in my Daz Studio library.

Yes, that's the glitch. You need to put the contents of the .zip "Content" folder into your D|S library folder, whatever it's called. Doing it the obvious (wrong) way puts a content folder inside a content folder, where D|S can't find it. There's a /Runtime/Support/ folder inside your library where the metadata files are collected, if you've just copy/pasted as above then it'll get dropped into the right place.

The next time you start D|S you need to get the new metadata into the database, otherwise it won't show up in Smart Content (note that this is automatic in a DIM install, you just need to do it manually if you don't use DIM).

* In the Content Library tab, click on the Options button (top right corner, a stack of lines and a little arrow)

* Select "Content DB Maintenance" from the pop-up menu

* Tick the "Process Metadata Queue" box and hit "Accept".

Hope that's right. The only other thing you need to remember is to do that again every time you do a manual install.

Will that detect the files in the Content folder or do I need to move those as well?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

You need to get rid of the Content folder. Your folder should not have a Content folder in it.

C:/UsersName/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library is correct and the INSIDES of the content folder here.
    C:/UsersName/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Content is wrong and will cause errors. The Content Folder can not exist.

Here is a Mini Tutorial for Hand Installing DIM Zip Content to any Folder, even the My Library folder. For a Win7 PC or any PC with Merge.

Click Image twice to see Full Size.

Capture6.png
    600 x 1000 - 124K
    Post edited by Jaderail on